Hass.io Error looking up Bluetooth device

At some point – I don’t really know when – bluetooth stopped working for me as a device tracker. Bluetooth devices aren’t detected anymore, and my logs are filled with the following, over and over and over:

2019-11-27 16:00:13 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.bluetooth_tracker.device_tracker] Error looking up Bluetooth device
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/bluetooth/bluez.py", line 31, in discover_devices
    lookup_class=lookup_class, device_id=device_id)
_bluetooth.error: (16, 'Resource busy')

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/bluetooth_tracker/device_tracker.py", line 140, in perform_bluetooth_update
    devices = await hass.async_add_executor_job(discover_devices, device_id)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 57, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/bluetooth_tracker/device_tracker.py", line 62, in discover_devices
    device_id=device_id,
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/bluetooth/bluez.py", line 34, in discover_devices
    raise BluetoothError ("error communicating with local "
bluetooth.btcommon.BluetoothError: error communicating with local bluetooth adapter

The only thing I’m using bluetooth for other than device tracking is monitoring a Flic button, using the flicd add-on, and that appears to be working as expected.

Any idea what’s going on here, and how I go about correcting it? I’m running hassio (HassOS 1.13) on a Raspberry Pi 3B+.

1 Like

you know I came here looking for the same thing!! I noticed mine yesterday

Bump.

Anybody? Bueller?

1 Like

having same error

This has also just literally started for me. No idea how to fix it…

same here. my xiaomi plant sensor and airthings wave (which also connect via bluetooth) have stopped updating too.

I have the same error.

Error looking up Bluetooth device
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/bluetooth/bluez.py", line 31, in discover_devices
    lookup_class=lookup_class, device_id=device_id)
_bluetooth.error: (110, 'Operation timed out')

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/bluetooth_tracker/device_tracker.py", line 140, in perform_bluetooth_update
    devices = await hass.async_add_executor_job(discover_devices, device_id)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 57, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/bluetooth_tracker/device_tracker.py", line 62, in discover_devices
    device_id=device_id,
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/bluetooth/bluez.py", line 34, in discover_devices
    raise BluetoothError ("error communicating with local "
bluetooth.btcommon.BluetoothError: error communicating with local bluetooth adapter

Also having this problem, works after a restart for a few hours then back to nothing.

Same issue here.

Hi everybody,
New to the system and exactly same issue on on a RPi 3B+ and HA 0.104.3 / HassOS 3.8 / Supervisor 195.
Could be possible that there were a hardware or driver mulfunction ?
Thanks

Here is the issue:

Some have found that reducing the baud rate fixes the issue but I’ve yet to find out how to do this within Hassio. I’ve been trying to use the /usr/bin/btattach command but unable to locate my built in BT device in /dev/ - any advice here?

Trying to run btattach -B (BT MAC Address) -S 460800 -N but doesn’t work…

I continue to keep having this issue with BT tracking crashing with any version of HassOS 3.x on a RP3b. BT tracking is solid on HassOS 2.12. I have a wired network connection and wifi not configured.

To easily roll back to HassOS 2.12, run the following command from SSH.
hassio os update --version 2.12

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. Had to give up on bluetooth tracking completely until I read this.
Also found that having bluetooth tracker in the config was preventing hassio updates for some reason.
Rolling back to 2.12 has tracking working again. Will have to wait for the next update to see if that is fixed too.

Had the same problem but rollback solved iøand everything is working again.