Hass.io - How to configure docker?

Hello,

I wanted to use this repo to create map for my Roborock S50 then I suddenly realised that the modifications on my hass.io based system does not save the system modifications such as installing package under /etc/ folder.

How can I modify my docker in order to save everything on the file system?
I am thinking of changing to Rasbian with Home Assistant, do you recommend it more then hass.io with docker?

Do you like configuring everything, with unlimited control? Or do you like the simplicity of hassio?

I have tried various HA deployment methods and I think that a Debian or Ubuntu with Docker based hass.io is the best bet. Iā€™m a linux sysadmin with 20 years experience and so I went for a venv first for a few months. That worked quite well but I did not get all of the cool stuff that @frenck and co are hellbent on throwing out. I got the basics but not everything. Iā€™ve just done a hass.io on a laptop for a customer and Iā€™m frankly in heaven! Stuff just works.

1 Like

I cannot really answer. This hass.io was just perfect until I wanted to modify the system files and now I am totally lost with the docker configuration (to keep all files after system restart).

Thanks for your reply. I might give a try to the Raspian Lite based configuration.

You can do a generic Linux install of Home Assistant Supervised. Problem if you use HassOS is you cant install packages like you could with Raspbian. What are you trying to achieve? Thereā€™s lots of addons and custom componentsā€¦

Iā€˜m running rasbian on a rpi3+ with docker. Then I run Hass.io within in Docker. So I have Full Access to my rasbi and can use the full advantage of Hass.io and all the add ons

Now called Home Assistant Supervisedā€¦ there is no such thing as hass.io anymoreā€¦

Yes. Sorry forgot about the renaming. Need to get used to the new name :slight_smile:

I wanted to create a live map for my roborock s50. I have Valetudo but I didnā€™t want to use the docker based png generator because I am not really familiar with docker at all. I found a git (see my first post) but itā€™s required to install packages for it on my hassio based system. I started to install the packages but I have lost everything after the restart of the Pi4.

I might give a try to use rasbian lite with home assistant. What do you think? What limitations will I have?

I tried Ubuntu non-headless w/ home assistant supervised, & headless Debian w/ home assistant supervised. Best so far is Debian w/ home assistant supervised. If you do choose an os, go headless. Donā€™ t make the mistake I did first time around.

Andy my original questions were basically leading towards an OS w/ supervised HA. Because if you go with just HA core, youā€™ll spend countless hours installing and configuring everything. Ugh, then you have to install new versions of python because one aspect of your system needs it. And what happens when the versions conflict with other aspects of your system. :nauseated_face:

1 Like

A RPi is a pretty powerful beast these days: gobs of RAM and CPU cores, with lots of GPIOs and USB, ethernet, wifi and Bluetooth. Whatā€™s not to like? They are put together in Wales, so nearly British (by Sony IIRC)

The downside is the permanent storage. Now I need to qualify that a bit. My parentā€™s phones run off a RPi2B and have done for about three years now. Yes they have a PBX (RasPBX) and have no idea - long story. I have a Pi in my computer room that has run Raspian for five years and has a MySQL db thrashing the card. There are a few errors in dmesg and I donā€™t want to reboot it yet. I have about 20 Pis all over the place doing things and some have lived for ages, some have not. Good quality SD cards are a good idea. Backups are a really good idea. Backup plans are an even better idea, ie you plan ahead of time what to do with your backups to restore your system and test it.

So if you are doing the RPi thing then keep i/o to a minimum and plan for what to do in a failure. If this is a key component for your house and perhaps personal safety then do a risk assessment. You might need more hardware eg a NUC or my favourite: an old laptop - it has a UPS built in as well as a screen and keyboard.

A laptop that Windows 10 turns itā€™s nose up at runs Ubuntu server and a shit load of docker containers and has loads of USB ports etc. It is quite happy with EFI and Secure Boot as well. Nice!

I run a non-headless Debian NUC that runs Core in Docker (I think thatā€™s the easiest thing to call it now with the latest name change paradigm).

I use it for my Kodi server and as far as I know (may have changedā€¦) it requires a non-headless install. But I donā€™t have any screen, keyboard or mouse connected to it so it is essentially headless. To get the desktop to load I use a ā€œdummyā€ HDMI dongle and the use Teamviewer to connect in to the desktop if necessary.

All of that to say that there are many options depending on what your needs are.