Hass.io: How to debug when it just doesn't install?

I’ve been running Haspbian for a while, but with HA needing a newer Python version as of a few versions ago, I decided to try hass.io. So I copied the image to the SD card, put it in my Pi3, configured as directed, plugged in a nice 3 amp power supply, and turned it on.

Half hour later… nothing. So I recopied the image and configured to use the wired connection, and… nothing. If I plug in a monitor, I get the logo, but it just doesn’t do anything.

I do not see any DHCP address allocated to either of the Pi’s MAC addresses. I’ve double checked all of my settings. If I put in a Raspbian SD card, it will get the DHCP address just fine using either wireless or wired. All of my Google searches result in the recommendation, “just re-burn the image and try it again.”

Is there any logging anywhere that will tell me what’s going wrong? Or should I continue my next adventure, using CentOS 7 and a custom-built Python environment for this…

If you get the logo on the screen, the base OS installed fine. How fast is your internet? It might take longer than 20 minutes for it to download the Docker images it needs if your internet is not quick.

If you’re using the ethernet connection there is nothing to configure in the image as that is the default so not sure what you think you changed. Suggest you wipe the card and burn a fresh copy of the image onto it.

As @flamingm0e implied, hassio is headless so you will never see more than the logo onscreen if you connect a monitor to the Pi and it can easily take at least 20-30 minutes dependant on internet speed so just put the card in the slot, power up and go away for an hour just to be sure. Then on another device log into either http://hassio.local:8123 or, as this doesn’t work on all devices, the IP of your Pi with :8123 on the end.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys, I appreciate the assistance!

I ended up just building my own image using CentOS. I appreciate all the hard work that has gone into hass.io, but it seems awfully shortsighted to assume that it will always install (and that a debugging mechanism is therefore unnecessary). I have 100M internet, I tried two brand new SanDisk SD cards, I tried waiting two hours each time, and the thing just won’t install.

You didn’t elaborate on what you meant by this?