Hass IO in a Virtual Machine

I have HA working in a VM running on ESXi, and use the Aoetch Z-Stick just fine. It’s plugged into the server and passed to the VM.

Newbie question: I have just installed Hass IO on an Oracle VM box under Windows. When I try to install Configurator or Samba, I get this error (likely related to my firewall/router). Any suggestions?
[hassio.docker.interface] Can’t install homeassistant/amd64-addon-configurator:2 -> 500 Server Error: Internal Server Error (“Get https://registry-1.docker.io/v2/: dial tcp: lookup registry-1.docker.io on 192.168.168.168:53: read udp 192.168.168.210:55040->192.168.168.168:53: i/o timeout”).

This isn’t the full story either.

I’m running esxi 6.7 and connecting the vmdk etc wasn’t enough to get it running.

When booting, press enter to get a login prompt.
Username: root
Password:

Nothing in the hassio-cli was working for me, so i went to the host by using the login command. Then ip a to get see all the ip addresses. Network manager with nmcli also works. Those 172.30.x.x addresses are all docker related. What i noticed was that i didn’t spot the machine’s mac address anywhere, thus no connectivity. I had to shut it and set the driver from vmxnet3 to e1000 to get it to work.

I’m still getting errors though where it seems that there is some connection issue to the docker containers. Gonna be looking for the solution to that for a little while longer.

EDIT: Turns out that the supervisor container was running, but it has issues connecting. This was visible under journalctl -fu hassos-supervisor.
I forgot to allow traffic for the vlan in my firewall.

1 Like

There is a guide here:

It is for proxmox though

I’m actually on ESXi 6.5 on a i3-8190 Intel NUC and I was thinking to give it a try to Proxmox.

Mainly because of the limitation of the free version of ESXi ( I would like to connect to an UPS and it seems it’s not managed in this free version).

Anyone who have experience on Proxmox and Hassio or HA?

i got hassio on virtualbox, work fine, but i found out some things like, xiaomi aqara, stops working after some time, and my broadlink mp1, fails, i found out that is a problem with multicast

Sorry this is a little off topic but you do not need to have the UPS managed by ESXI. I have the UPS contact a VM by running the APC UPS Daemon Monitor. For the shutdown, I have the same VM contact my ESXI Servers via RSA private/public key to proceed with the halt command.

I have to say that I find it a little strange that you would attempt to run Hass IO on a VM but I do understand the pain of installing Home Assistant on a Linux Distro (Centos 7). Not that easy, I am barely keeping my head out of the water but it could also be because I am new at this.

1 Like

Did you finally confirm issues with Aqara gateway are related to the VM? I’m also experiencing problems and I’m running on a VM

Any solution?

Hi, no solution so far, keep looking for information

Add your comments if you want to help fix the issue! https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/issues/21250

How did you gain access via port 2222? I can’t access the VMDK file system so cannot add the required SSH keys as per the debugging instructions. Been fighting with the 172.30.x.x errors since I migrated to ESXi and still can’t get a bluetooth dongle to passthrough (bought 4 different types!).

Im not sure which hypervisor you’re using, but im running esxi and used the console window to get console access to the machine to go through the steps I described.
Once the machine is live, you can still use that console window or use the ssh add-on. I haven’t tried yet to get into the underlying vm over ssh, but im sure you can import the ssh keys through the esxi console window.

Running ESXi V6.7 (latest). Managed to enter via console just as you posted your reply…

My main issue is I’m not able to get Bluetooth working, the bluetooth dongle is passed through correctly and seems to show via ‘lsusb’. I’ve purchased 3 dongles without luck.

Frustrating as it’s the only missing piece of the puzzle for me, does anyone have any ideas?

I had difficulty getting this working on an ESXi host through the web interface:

What I had to do:

SSH into my ESXi Host (after enabling the service) and go to my datastore drive where the vmdk exists.
I ran:

vmkfstools -i hassos_ova-2.10.vmdk home_assistant.vmdk

To covert it to an ESXi VM.
Then, I ran:

vmkfstools -X 32G eagerzeroedthick home_assistant.vmdk

To change the drive size from 6GB to 32GB

For the VM properties, I set the BIOS type to EFI. I set the hard disk to IDE 0 as MASTER. I gave the VM 2 GB of RAM (why not?)

And this booted the VMDK correctly on a ESXi 6.5 system with web access only.

2 Likes

Did you ever get this resolved? I’m having the same issue.

SOLVED… For me anyway. I followed the direction posted by TheHookUp on youtube (very good tutorial). In the video and notes in the description he states to set the ipv4 to a static IP and define the DNS and Gateway as your router IP. I finally checked my connection and determined my DNS is NOT the same as my router. After that change all is well. Also, not shown in the video but shown in the notes is to add “/24” after your static IP. I added that as well.

For those in a similar boat as me, it turns out my DNS is the issue. I have a fairly uncommon setup where my primary resolver is only for internal DNS queries (it is not a forwarder), and it rejects all other requests. The vast majority of services see the REFUSED from my internal-only resolver and move down the chain, but apparently HassOS is not among them.

I’m temporarily adjusting the DHCP for this host to no longer receive my non-forwarding server as the primary. I do plan to open a bug with the devs about this as it does not appear to be usual behavior, though I’m uncertain whether it violates any RFC’s.

You, sir, are a genius!

To everyone else: IDE-0 does the trick!

1 Like

I have a Windows NUC running Oracle VM VirtualBox with HASSOI VMDK.
It runs very well, much faster response than the Raspberry Pi 3B that I keep running at the same time.

However I cannot see how to update to the newest version. When I click on the Hass.io menu on the left pane I can see “Update Available!” and “Home Assistant 0.94.3 is available and you are currently running Home Assistant 0.93.2.”.
However, when I click on the Update link in the same panel, the update never occurs. I get a spinning circle with different colours for a few minutes but the terminal window in the VirtualBox doesn’t show any movement at all. My debug log shows this:

> 19-06-14 13:51:48 ERROR (SyncWorker_4) [hassio.docker.interface] Can't install homeassistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant:0.94.3 -> 404 Client Error: Not Found ("no such image: homeassistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant:0.94.3: No such image: homeassistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant:0.94.3").
> 19-06-14 13:51:48 WARNING (MainThread) [hassio.homeassistant] Update Home Assistant image fails

Do I have to manually load some image into the VM VirtualBox first? I haven’t been able to find any info on different update methods to what I have always used with Hassio and the Pi.

1 Like

Yes I have found exactly the same. My vbox is only a test system to try out hassio so I have not been too worried about it.

Hello, I have the same Problem on my system. I use hassio on a VM based on proxmox. Since hassio 0.93.2 I cannot Update any more:

`ERROR (SyncWorker_6) [hassio.docker.interface] Can’t install homeassistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant:0.94.4 -> 404 Client Error: Not Found (“no such image: homeassistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant:0.94.4: No such image: homeassistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant:0.94.4”).

Is there a solution for that problem?