Hass.io installer - where is home assistant?

Hi,

Total hassio/docker newbie here :).

I have HA installed on my RPi4 together with other applications. I want(ed) to switch to hassio in a docker because of seeing a lot nice addons which are only available through hassio.

I thought, I will use hassio installer and it will install everything I need. I stopped my already installed HA, backed up everything and did following:

sudo -i
apt-get install software-properties-common
apt-get update
apt-get install -y apparmor-utils apt-transport-https avahi-daemon ca-certificates curl dbus jq network-manager socat
curl -fsSL get.docker.com | sh
curl -sL "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/hassio-installer/master/hassio_install.sh" | bash -s -- -m raspberry

It installed everything as it should I suppose. No errors. I expected that it will install HA also somewhere but it did not, as I can see. There is also nothing running on port 8123.

As I said, I am total newbie for docker and hassio and I am maybe asking wrong question.

Do I have to install HA now by myself? Open shell/ssh in the container and install it? Or should this hassio supervisor do it for me? If it should, how can debug this?
Or is there something else I totally missed?

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Is that just a typo at the end of your last command? Because that’s not a valid machine flag.

If you run docker ps -a as root you should see a home assistant container and a supervisor container. If you don’t then it wasn’t installed.

1 Like
# docker ps -a
CONTAINER ID        IMAGE                                   COMMAND                  CREATED             STATUS              PORTS               NAMES
5c22ae7f1083        homeassistant/armv7-hassio-dns:1        "coredns -conf /conf…"   3 days ago          Up 3 days                               hassio_dns
2d3d987d9926        homeassistant/armv7-hassio-supervisor   "/bin/entry.sh pytho…"   3 weeks ago         Up 3 days                               hassio_supervisor

as I can see, there is no home assistant there? what should I do in the current situation?

root@raspi:/home/pi# docker run --init -d --name="home-assistant" -e "TZ=Europe/Vienna" -v /home/pi/homeassistant:/config --net=host homeassistant/raspberrypi4-homeassistant:stable
Unable to find image 'homeassistant/raspberrypi4-homeassistant:stable' locally
stable: Pulling from homeassistant/raspberrypi4-homeassistant
33b18ff7f9b7: Already exists 
1f4eba7913e4: Already exists 
4b7876757797: Already exists 
025d5ca8b1d3: Already exists 
f4085647b184: Already exists 
ba7f8a38f0e4: Already exists 
b2e5de686b38: Already exists 
63e3f6d3be64: Already exists 
b47de80f44d0: Pull complete 
803529260f21: Pull complete 
3a9122242f39: Pull complete 
403538b6b17b: Pull complete 
5baaaaa75e10: Pull complete 
a538d4ee7dc7: Pull complete 
f629db3e8592: Pull complete 
888b0e3aa4ca: Pull complete 
88920fc2d5b3: Pull complete 
7ed05956e800: Pull complete 
1c18622079d2: Pull complete 
168979cecdc3: Pull complete 
b6fefbd6c362: Pull complete 
43f8552c365a: Pull complete 
2d385e3aa0e5: Pull complete 
Digest: sha256:4aec2c609f2bc75f4a2fab64aaecc870c96305855ae5ae0b585e0a271387cf84
Status: Downloaded newer image for homeassistant/raspberrypi4-homeassistant:stable
5898e28423d0780ce9d6ecf6d777677b22e682b641accc162a80157c7d09ac76

looking good :slight_smile:

Should Home Assistant have been installed by the hassio installer? Probably not, as I can see. It would be nice to have this info in the howto.

Yes, hassio should pull the image in and the supervisor is responsible for it to come up. You should never have to manually run the container.

You are going to reboot one day and your entire configuration will be missing. This is because by default Hassio uses /usr/share/hassio/homeassistant. When the supervisor restarts your image it’s going to load a new config.

1 Like

should I remove this hass container and install it in /usr/share/hassio/homeassistant ?

like this?

docker run --init -d --name=“home-assistant” -e “TZ=Europe/Vienna” -v /usr/share/hassio/homeassistant:/config --net=host homeassistant/raspberrypi4-homeassistant:stable

anything else?

or should i remove everything and run hassio installer again?

No. Just restart the services that were installed with the script.

The script tells you all the things it does if you read it.

I’m in a similar boat - followed the instructions and I don’t see the homeassistant container come online. The instructions in the script don’t mention anywhere that supervisor is in charge of starting homeassistant, it makes sense in hindsight but that was very confusing.

When I docker logs -f hassio_supervisor I see:

20-02-14 19:03:31 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.core] Hass.io is up and running
20-02-14 19:03:46 WARNING (MainThread) [hassio.tasks] Watchdog found a problem with Home Assistant Docker!
20-02-14 19:03:46 INFO (SyncWorker_2) [hassio.docker.interface] Start homeassistant/raspberrypi4-64-homeassistant
20-02-14 19:03:51 ERROR (MainThread) [hassio.homeassistant] Home Assistant has crashed!
20-02-14 19:03:51 ERROR (MainThread) [hassio.tasks] Watchdog Home Assistant reanimation fails!

So it’s also possible for HA to crash out and cause the symptoms described. Regretfully, there was no indication of a problem until I inspected the supervisor’s logs.

Next question: What’s the easy way to troubleshoot why this is crashing?

Interestingly, I notice that my docker does have an image for homeassistant/raspberrypi4-64-homeassistant and if I try to docker run ... it then docker pulls down and extracts more layers it didn’t already have. That suggests that homeassistant/raspberrypi4-64-homeassistant hasn’t been started yet.

EDIT: Making progress…

When I ran the homeassistant/raspberrypi4-64-homeassistant directly I got a exec format error message, and more googling led me to understand I chose the wrong machine type.

When I do docker run .... homeassistant/raspberrypi4-homeassistant then homeassistant appears to start normally. (I can access the HA in my browser and the logs look good)

I re-ran the install script, passing the corrected machine flag. This fixed my hassio config file, but I had to stop and remove the supervisor container and then restart the service because the supervisor service “remembered” the wrong homeassistant container image.

curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/hassio-installer/master/hassio_install.sh | sudo bash -s -- -m raspberrypi4-64
docker rm --force hassio_supervisor
sudo systemctl restart hassio-supervisor.service

At this point I still wasn’t working. The supervisor container’s logs showed that I didn’t have the new docker image. I’m not sure why. I simply “ran” that image to download it and re-restarted the service.

docker run homeassistant/raspberrypi4-homeassistant
sudo systemctl restart hassio-supervisor.service

And now the supervisor is happy, the actual HA container is happy, and I’m happy.

@mmhass I hope this helps you with your issue.

2 Likes

I had the same issue, end ended up using the regular (non-64bit) version even though it is running on a Raspberry Pi 4 4GB (which I thought was 64 bit):

curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/hassio-installer/master/hassio_install.sh | sudo bash -s -- -m raspberrypi4
1 Like