Home Assistant Supervised (previously known as Hass.io) on Synology DSM as native package (not supported or working atm)

I think that you need to be aware that Uninstall script has actually deleted my original homeassistant docker image and left hassio_dns intact. I almost freaked out at that point.

Synology RS815+ / DSM 6.2.2
Docker version: 18.09.0-0506

Yes, that is by design. You are not supposed to have a Docker container called homeassistant (I might add a check to make sure that it is based on homeassistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant).

That is a bug though…

Its possible to install the 32bit version of hassio? is required for some addons…

Which one?

Yes it should be possible…

Try changing /var/packages/hassio/target/etc/hassio.json to the version you want and get the supervisor to re download the image (by removing config.json in the hassio folder).

Does this procedure require that the synology package is already installed?
if I wanted to install the 32bit version directly?

I would suggest that you read trough the source code at this gist and modify accordingly (lots have improved in the package though).

First of all thank you for providing this awesome package!

Migrating from a virtual machine I really miss being able to access Hassio via a hostname such as hassio.local:80. Is this supported? Or could you give me some pointers how to go about it?

I make this using PiHole. Pihole addon on Hassio don’t works for me, I install on Docker with this tutorial:

I add INTERFACE variable too in the Environment tab and TZ for the Timezone.
Then you need add a text file named 02-lan.conf in your dnsmasq.d config folder with this content:

addn-hosts=/etc/pihole/lan.list

And in your PiHole config folder add a text file named lan.list with your local host, for example:

192.168.1.23     hassio.local  Hassio

I’m busy migrating from RPi to my new DS918+. Most of the basic stuff (light switches, Somfy blinds) are working. Only thing I’m struggling with is the connection to my Smart Meter. For this I have an old RPi connected to the SM, which makes the data available via ser2net. The manual, DSMR or Slimme meter, says I have to run a docker command to allow access to the device, but I’m not sure if this is needed in my case. I rather not break my current installation…
Any advice would be appreciated.

I’ve not used the integration you are referring to, but the is a partial tested ser2net package for Synology (check witch @Cinamon he might have tested it).

Have you tried to connect your USB-2-serial adapter into your nas to see what’s happening?

If you have ser2net working on your pi it seems like the package can connect to it via host and port variables as below. What is your question?

sensor:
  - platform: dsmr
    host: 192.168.1.13
    port: 2001

Thanks for the quick reply Frederike!

I have it configured as you mention, and this was working fine with my old setup. My nas is too far away from the SM to connect it directly, so cannot test a direct connection. Unfortunately I lost my config in the old setup, so cannot compare. Once I have it running again I’ll make a backup and some documentation. I’ll wait for a reply from @Cinamon then.

You did some really great stuff! Many thanks for that.

Currently banging my head against the wall:)

I was using the wrong port. Now the readings come in.

1 Like

Thanks for this package, after having used it for a couple of days I must say I’m very impressed :slight_smile:

One question, I see that you haven’t linked to the latest branche, on purpose I imagine? I just saw that 0.102.0 is out now, so was eager to try it out. Can we just update the docker container to the latest branch, or are we going to ruin the setup then?

I don’t understand your question. The hassio-supervisor manages the updates as I’ve shown in a previous post.

Do NOT touch the Docker images/containers you will most likely break something.

I didn’t see your previous post, clear. I may have worded things a bit crooked, but I won’t touch the containers then and just use the built-in updater :slight_smile:

I have the same problem on my Hass.io instance running on xpenology.
Did you manage to fix it?
Mine looks like:

2019-11-22 21:18:56 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.binary_sensor] Error while setting up platform wyzesense
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_platform.py", line 150, in _async_setup_platform
    await asyncio.wait_for(asyncio.shield(task), SLOW_SETUP_MAX_WAIT)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/asyncio/tasks.py", line 442, in wait_for
    return fut.result()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 57, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/config/custom_components/wyzesense/binary_sensor.py", line 82, in setup_platform
    ws = beginConn()
  File "</usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/decorator.py:decorator-gen-2>", line 2, in beginConn
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/retry/api.py", line 74, in retry_decorator
    logger)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/retry/api.py", line 33, in __retry_internal
    return f()
  File "/config/custom_components/wyzesense/binary_sensor.py", line 80, in beginConn
    return Open(config[CONF_DEVICE], on_event)
  File "/config/custom_components/wyzesense/wyzesense_custom.py", line 561, in Open
    return Dongle(device, event_handler)
  File "/config/custom_components/wyzesense/wyzesense_custom.py", line 297, in __init__
    self._Start()
  File "/config/custom_components/wyzesense/wyzesense_custom.py", line 492, in _Start
    self._Inquiry()
  File "/config/custom_components/wyzesense/wyzesense_custom.py", line 398, in _Inquiry
    resp = self._DoSimpleCommand(Packet.Inquiry())
  File "/config/custom_components/wyzesense/wyzesense_custom.py", line 393, in _DoSimpleCommand
    self._DoCommand(pkt, cmd_handler, timeout)
  File "/config/custom_components/wyzesense/wyzesense_custom.py", line 379, in _DoCommand
    self._SendPacket(pkt)
  File "/config/custom_components/wyzesense/wyzesense_custom.py", line 331, in _SendPacket
    pkt.Send(self.__fd)
  File "/config/custom_components/wyzesense/wyzesense_custom.py", line 106, in Send
    ss = os.write(fd, pkt)
OSError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument

Some say it’s about the hiddraw driver, they are missing on synology - so the device is only shown as hiddev and hiddev doesn’t provide the raw output → i think that’s the problem.

I successfully installed this package on my Synology NAS and used hass.io before, but after some flaws i decided to reinstall docker as well as this hass.io package.

The installation fails, only the hassio-supervisor container is created and running. If i remember correctly last time also a hassio and …dns… container was created.

I am no coder and anything but an unix expert but I believe these “can’t fetch” message is related.

In what direction should I find my solution?

19-11-22 21:33:29 INFO (MainThread) [__main__] Initialize Hass.io setup
19-11-22 21:33:29 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.docker.network] Can't find Hass.io network, create new network
19-11-22 21:33:29 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.bootstrap] Create Home Assistant configuration folder /data/homeassistant
19-11-22 21:33:29 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.bootstrap] Create Hass.io SSL/TLS folder /data/ssl
19-11-22 21:33:29 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.bootstrap] Create Hass.io Add-on data folder /data/addons/data
19-11-22 21:33:29 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.bootstrap] Create Hass.io Add-on local repository folder /data/addons/local
19-11-22 21:33:29 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.bootstrap] Create Hass.io Add-on git repositories folder /data/addons/git
19-11-22 21:33:29 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.bootstrap] Create Hass.io temp folder /data/tmp
19-11-22 21:33:29 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.bootstrap] Create Hass.io backup folder /data/backup
19-11-22 21:33:29 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.bootstrap] Create Hass.io share folder /data/share
19-11-22 21:33:29 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.bootstrap] Create Hass.io Apparmor folder /data/apparmor
19-11-22 21:33:29 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.bootstrap] Create Hass.io DNS folder /data/dns
19-11-22 21:33:34 WARNING (MainThread) [hassio.utils.dt] Can't fetch freegeoip data: Cannot connect to host ip-api.com:80 ssl:None [Try again]
19-11-22 21:33:34 INFO (SyncWorker_0) [hassio.docker.supervisor] Attach to Supervisor homeassistant/amd64-hassio-supervisor with version 192
19-11-22 21:33:34 INFO (SyncWorker_0) [hassio.docker.supervisor] Connect Supervisor to Hass.io Network
19-11-22 21:33:35 INFO (MainThread) [__main__] Setup HassIO
19-11-22 21:33:35 WARNING (MainThread) [hassio.dbus.systemd] No systemd support on the host. Host control has been disabled.
19-11-22 21:33:35 WARNING (MainThread) [hassio.dbus.hostname] No hostname support on the host. Hostname functions have been disabled.
19-11-22 21:33:35 WARNING (MainThread) [hassio.dbus.rauc] Host has no rauc support. OTA updates have been disabled.
19-11-22 21:33:35 WARNING (MainThread) [hassio.dbus.nmi_dns] No DnsManager support on the host. Local DNS functions have been disabled.
19-11-22 21:33:35 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.host.apparmor] Load AppArmor Profiles: set()
19-11-22 21:33:35 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.host.apparmor] AppArmor is not enabled on host
19-11-22 21:33:35 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.dns] No CoreDNS plugin Docker image homeassistant/amd64-hassio-dns found.
19-11-22 21:33:35 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.dns] Setup CoreDNS plugin
19-11-22 21:33:35 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.updater] Fetch update data from https://version.home-assistant.io/stable.json
19-11-22 21:33:40 WARNING (MainThread) [hassio.updater] Can't fetch versions from https://version.home-assistant.io/stable.json: Cannot connect to host version.home-assistant.io:443 ssl:None [Try again]
19-11-22 21:33:40 WARNING (MainThread) [hassio.dns] Error on install CoreDNS plugin. Retry in 30sec
19-11-22 21:34:10 WARNING (MainThread) [hassio.dns] Error on install CoreDNS plugin. Retry in 30sec
19-11-22 21:34:40 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.updater] Fetch update data from https://version.home-assistant.io/stable.json
19-11-22 21:34:45 WARNING (MainThread) [hassio.updater] Can't fetch versions from https://version.home-assistant.io/stable.json: Cannot connect to host version.home-assistant.io:443 ssl:None [Try again]
19-11-22 21:34:45 WARNING (MainThread) [hassio.dns] Error on install CoreDNS plugin. Retry in 30sec
19-11-22 21:35:15 WARNING (MainThread) [hassio.dns] Error on install CoreDNS plugin. Retry in 30sec
19-11-22 21:35:45 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.updater] Fetch update data from https://version.home-assistant.io/stable.json
19-11-22 21:35:50 WARNING (MainThread) [hassio.updater] Can't fetch versions from https://version.home-assistant.io/stable.json: Cannot connect to host version.home-assistant.io:443 ssl:None [Try again]

By the way: sudo docker pull homeassistant/home-assistant:latest in terminal is working as it should

I have tried to run ser2net at my synology router but it won’t work. Synology router doesn’t recognize the usb cable for my smart meter. I think that i need a package for serial drivers.

No, I’ve been looking for a while now and I can’t seem to find any hidraw drivers for Synology. My next step my be to re-purpose my old rPi to run the wyzesense software and see if I can’t get it to integrate with MQTT. Not really what I wanted, but it may be my only workaround.