HASS.IO or not HASS.IO

Hello all,
I’m new on Home Assistant and i’m used to play with home automation since years (using Jeedom, Raspberry Pis, Arduino, etc…).
For my Home Assistant discovery, i decided to install hass.io on a Raspberry Pi 4. Really easy and up running in few minutes !
While discovering HA world, i’m facing some difficulties (not possible to contact NUT Server from a remote client, SSH to a remote linux needing a specific command to run without error 255, not able to do a simple SFTP with Filezilla for file transfert, etc…). I have in mind that this is linked to Hass.io and docker (that is fully new for me).
Then i’m wondering if i should stay with Hass.io (easy to install, easy to backup/restore) and spend some time to get familiar with it; or if it would be better for me to install HA Core on classic Raspbian.
May you give me the main difference or pro/cons of these 2 types of installation ?
In order to give some info on my need, my HA installation will have to deal with: NUT Server, Zigbee with Conbee 2 (20 devices max), WOL, monitoring (ping, CPU load), SSH to remote Linux, Ubiquiti AP management, running bash & Python scripts.
Thank you !

Where are you getting your information?

Six months ago, hass.io was officially renamed to Home Assistant OS.

The official documentation doesn’t contain any reference to the deprecated name so whatever you are using as your reference is at least a half-year out of date.

There are four ways to install Home Assistant and the table in this post can help you to understand the differences:

Basically, your intention to use Home Assistant Core, instead of Home Assistant OS, means you will forego the convenience of the Supervisor which, among other things, includes Add-Ons.

Thank you for your quick answer.

My mistake, i should not use hass.io; it’s certainly due to the different messages i’ve seen on the community and the user name “hassio” used for ssh login…
Be sure that i’ve followed the official and newest documentation for installation.

No supervisor means no Add-on. As far i know (first week on HA), add-ons are mandatory for me (i’m already using FileEditor, deCONZ, SSH, Nut).
So, i have to stay with Home Assistant OS, right ?

May you explain me the difference between HA OS and HA Supervised (on a Raspberry Pi) ? Components are the same, only the installation process is different ?

The first includes an operating system, the second doesn’t (you supply it).

If you want the convenience you have experienced (ease of installing additional functionality) then stay with Home Assistant OS.

If you don’t mind installing applications the traditional way, then you can use Home Assistant Core but expect to spend time researching how to install and maintain the additional applications.

Unless you are comfortable with Linux, I suggest you continue using Home Assistant OS.

1 Like

Thank you.
I will stay with HA OS or Supervised and definitely not go with HA Core.
If my understanding is correct, the difference between HA OS and HA Supervised on Raspbian (on Raspberry Pi) is the OS: Resin/BalenaOS for HA OS and Raspbian for Supervised HA. Right ?

No, the underlying operating system isn’t Resin/BalenaOS. You can read about it here:

If you want to run a supported version of Home Assistant Supervised, the operating system you install must be Debian. If you install any other distro (Rasbian, Ubuntu, etc) it will indicate (in Supervisor > System) that your installation is unsupported.

It means that the development team only tests for compatibility with Debian. If a new release fails to work properly on a system using something other than Debian, it’s the user’s responsibility to resolve it. In other words you only get support for it from the community, not the development team.

See :

OK, thank you both for your time. It’s more clear for me. I will continue with HA OS; once i will be familiar with HA, i’ll see if a migration to Supervised HA on Debian 10 for Raspberry is relevant.