HASS IO Tab Missing on the Side Bar (Missing HASSIO environment variable)

Hi, I am new to HA. I have HA installed on latest Rasbian Stretch OS (I have RPI drive a 7" LCD for home control). I was trying able to get HA running and see my RPI GPIO in HA but I am missing the HASSIO tab on the side bar because of the following error. I have added “HassIO:” in my configuration.YAML file. Any hint on how I should troubleshoot this issue? I can see that HASSIO and Docker are running when I checked my Wifi icon on the RPI. Appreciate you help!

2 Likes

How did you install Hass.io?

Do you understand that Hass.io and Homeassistant are two different things?

EH?

How did you install hassio?

The hassio was installed based on webpage:

Command used:
$ curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/hassio-build/master/install/hassio_install | bash -s

How do I install a specific version of hassio? I tried to following code from the RPI terminal but it doesn’t understand hassio. (it yields => -bash: hassio: command not found)

hassio homeassistant update --options “version=0.69.1”

You need to enter that command in the hassio ssh interface. You would need to install the SSH addon first. Be aware that your host is likely using port 22 for SSH so you will need to assign something else for ssh on the hassio ssh addon setup and use that port when sshing to the Hassio CLI interface.

did you put HassIO: or hassio: in your configuration.yaml file? Only the second will work.

1 Like

Hi Silvrr,

Can you give me a link on how to install the SSH addon on my Raspberry pi? I probably need to read up and follow detail instructions. I can ssh to the RPI but I think it is different from what you described. Thanks

Without the hassio menu you can’t.

I am using hassio: in the configuration file. The question now is how to debug further on the two errors in my first post. Because as you mentioned, without Hassio setup properly, the SSH addon cannot be added. Thanks

I have same setup (raspberrypi3 with homeassistant installed normally, and hassio installed in docker), and same issue (hassio missing in the HA interface and log shows: ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.hassio] Missing HASSIO environment variable).
Any resolution on this yet?

After some more reading, I found my problem. I have two home assistant instances running. One normal install in raspberrypi and another in a docker installed through hassio. The part I did not understand before was that hassio install comes with its own instance of homeassistant inside a docker process (separate from the hassio supervisor docker process). The normal install homeassistant is where I was trying to enable hassio and was giving me the “Missing HASSIO environment variable” error. I stopped the normal install homeassistant, and automatically the docker instance homeassistant started receiving the requests on port 8123, and I have the hassio tab working as expected.
Hope it helps clarify to other beginners installing hassio besides a normal install.

Same for me also, Rasp 3, clean installation through docker using lastest image (homeassistant/raspberrypi3-homeassistant) this morning (v0.83.0)
After install i cannot access from Win7 with Chrome or Explorer. I get access with my Android tablet but no HAss.io option in the menu.
Added hassio: in the configuration.yaml, in the log at start i find " [homeassistant.components.hassio] Missing HASSIO environment variable." , and then after " [homeassistant.setup] Setup failed for hassio: Component failed to initialize."
New functions have appeared (discovery of my Xiami gtw … )
Hope this helps…

but Firefox is OK on my WIn 7 even if no hass.io option in the menu. The rest is OK.

Looks like you installed Home Assistant in docker instead of hass.io.

Hey,
I just installed HA on ubuntu in docker. Now hass.io card is missing. As I understand it’s correct :wink: but
How to install any addons like goggle drive backup etc on HA now? It’s possible or everything need to be done on ubuntu server?

Thanks for explanation :slight_smile:
Michal

To use hass.io addons you have to install hass.io

You should be able to find equivalent docker containers for whatever you want or just install in Ubuntu.

Thanks a lot @DavidFW1960 can you advice me how to install hass.io? I’m quite fresh here on linux or docker configuration.

If you already have Ubuntu installed, follow the Ubuntu guide in THIS folder.

1 Like

Use the generic linux install for hass.io
If you’re a linux newbie it’s not for the faint of heart. Steep learning curve.

2 Likes

Well, after 1h I have hass.io up and running on my NuC :smiley:
Many thanks @kanga_who for your manual. It’s super easy.

Now it’s time to thing about security there

1 Like