HASS.IO -> transfer from SD card to SSD or USB

The error message you see is the linux kernel trying to access your SD-card that is no longer present.
Add the following to config.txt:
dtparam=sd_poll_once

1 Like

will do - where is that file?

It is here: /mnt/boot/config.txt

sorry, cant seem to find it?

Are you on HassOS 5.0 or are you on Rasperrypi OS running a Supervised install?

1 Like

I finally got the V5.0 beta stable working. For the beta to work stable i added 2 extra lines to the config.txt

1:
dtparam=sd_poll_once=on

This line makes disable the time-out messages for the SD card

2:

usb-storage.quirks=174c:0825:u

This disable UAS (for my specific device geekworn x285) for USB3.0 devices as explained in this link https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=245931

I don’t know if the kernel part from HassOS uses this feature as in PiOS, but in my case i had now reliable preformance and no corruptions after powerdowns (unplugging) or controlled shutdown.

1 Like

HassOS 5.0

nice!
are you running HassOS 5.0? if so, how did you edit config.txt

I have activated Developer access to HassOS 5.0 using the above procedure. That gives ssh access on port 22222 directly to the operating system.

1 Like

There a several ways to do this. The easy way is direct after buring the image, to edit the file on your computer when the drive is still attached to youre computer.
The other way is mentioned also in this thread, by gaining ssh acces to HassOS

thanks, tried a few times but still getting stuck

Thats it!! i used the 32 bit, but Erik is right, now i used the 64 bit rpi4 version.

But you will not have the full speed with this. UAS is what really brings speed. Sad it is not working.

Speed was never a issue with SD for me, if you use decent SD cards.
The real problem is that plugings like FluxDB or MariaDB are not best fit for running off SD, because of the wear and tear and possibile corruption on SD cards.

Running of SSD for that purpose only is already a surplus for me.
You will still get very good speeds on the USB 3.0 but not the maximum as possible as specified in the specs.
It is always a bargain between speed and reliability and in in my case i have found the right balance.

I have quirks enabled on my SSD enclosure and still get very good speeds with UAS disabled. Pi4 4GB running supervised.

Is there an up-to-date guide on how to move your Raspberry Pi 4 from SD card to SSD?

1 Like

I did it today.
Copy all files from SD card to any computer HD:
files
Download and using balenaEtcher burn Raspberry Pi OS to new SD card.
Boot PI 4 from new SD card.
Use following to prepare PI4 to boot from USB: How to Boot Raspberry Pi 4 From a USB SSD
Stop on Step 7.
Download HassOS 5.0 for PI4 64 bit.
Use balenaEtcher to burn image “HassOS 5.0” to SSD drive.
Turn off PI, remove SD card connect SSD.
Turn PI on.
Navigate to http://PI4_IP_Address:8123
Wait for setup to finish.
After about 5 min it’s done.
Copy all files back to PI4 shared folders.

PS. Very strange but after about hour I see Update for Operating System 4.11 on Supervisor:

1 Like

Yeah don’t install that of course. 5.0 is a beta build. 5.x won’t show in the default ui as an update until it is a release.

I want to use 64 bit image.

Why don‘t you use a snapshot to restore the old system?

1 Like