HASS.IO -> transfer from SD card to SSD or USB

Let me start by saying Thank you to everyone that puts the time in around here. I use the forums a lot for help but have never posted. Without you guys/gals helping everyone there would be no HA.

Now the issue :grin:
I’m currently running HA on a raspberry Pi with an SD card and would really like to keep it on the Pi. I know some people complain about the slow reboot speeds etc. but honestly it’s been so stable I hate to ever move off the platform.
However I do want to move away from an SD card… I feel like I’m playing with fire at this point and want to stop a problem before it happens.
So my options are USB or SSD. Can I have some opinions on which is better AND are there any guides to move a HASS.IO build from an SD card to either a USB or SSD? I think I would prefer an SSD, but interested to hear what everyone says.
I have a zwave stick and have read about people having problems when making a transfer from one HA build to another. Honestly since I don’t even know how to go about making the swap I’m not sure if this might even be a problem i encounter.
Thanks for any and all help.

2 Likes

You cannot currently boot HassOS from a USB drive - it’s not supported.

What you can do is install Raspbian and then do a generic Linux install of Hass.io with docker and that runs really well from a USB.

If you make a snapshot of your setup via the snapshots addon, restoring that to a new Hass.io installation will restore all your config exactly as it was.

I believe with the 2.8 release of HassOS that just occurred, this is starting to come together… https://github.com/home-assistant/hassos/pull/318

Has anyone been able to do this?
I’m looking to move my Hass.io install on the SD-card of the RPi to an old 256Gb SSD and connect it over USB.

1 Like

HELLO
any suggestion on how can i move sd to ssd on hassio?
thanks

I bet we start to see some momentum around this now that the Pi4 has USB3 support. We should be able to get full speed from SSDs over USB3. I’ve burned through several SD cards at this point so I’m eager to make the jump

1 Like

Hello all!,

is the hassio .img for Pi3B+ works on Pi4 please?