HASS.IO -> transfer from SD card to SSD or USB

Make sure you’re using the 64-bit image and not the 32-bit (as stated in the documents).

I agree, switching to the ssd I encounter enormous stability problems, slowness, about 20 minutes pass with each restart, and when it starts there is the message that HA is loading and you have to wait, the frontend is full of errors and many add-ons do not “button-card” and many others are loaded automatically. I think I’ll go back to SD in any case the bulk of the work has been done so when a more stable version comes out, just update it. let’s hope

@gojonny I found a way to make it stable but it’s not pretty. I had to install fresh and re-install components and files one by one (not automatically restoring from backup). I still used the backup file, but didn’t use the restore function. It’s been running fully stable and much faster for six hours now, whereas before it wouldn’t even operate for 10 minutes.

Which adapter are you using.
The stability is highly dependent on the adapter.
Also I found something rather interesting these days when playing with the adapter that I have (Eluteng).
I used it to do some partition cloning and I noticed that when using it on a specific port the transfer is extremely slow and it also was blocked.
Then I saw that most SSDs have a current draw of 1A, which could be a cause maybe?
I moved the SSD to another port and I could copy the partitions, but still I am wondering about the current draw and if this could be a cause for the stability problems.

I’ve managed to boot from my SSD but experiencing slow boots and a lot of uas errors. To try out quirks in HassOS I have gained access to port 22222 and used login.

Now, where do I find the cmdline.txt and how do I add the text (what command)?

Shut down HA and plug your SSD into (in my case a windows PC) and you will find the files in File Explorer.
From there you will see both the config.txt and cmdline.text.

Open the cmdline.txt with notepad or any other text editor and add your quirks and save / exit.
An example of my cmdline.txt.

usb-storage.quirks=174c:55aa:u dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1

Also worth you looking at this thread as well.

Thank you - Way easier solution!
Now my Pi boots rapidly and without any trouble.

HI! I cannot find any possible way to actually download the 5.0 version of HASS OS. Even when I join the beta channel everything that it offers me are some core updates. How did you manage to download it as a whole?

Check this out

Development 5 build 0

Development 5 build 1

ok which version do I download and use for the pi4?

I have 5.0 installed and running great
what are the steps to upgrade to 5.1

RPI4, 8GB, External SSD, HassOS 64bit

I used build 0 Development 5 build 0

i was not able to ssh into 22222 port so just plugged keyboard but now getting an another error

fdisk -l
shows its connected , sda1

deleted all partition using
fdisk /dev/sda1

after entering “datactl move /dev/sda1”
now it says “is not disk!”

documentation says no need to create partition

host_os - HassOS 4.12 (64 bit)
os_version - 4.19.127-v8
supervisor - 229

RPI 4 - 2 GB

A simple ssh command ha os update --version 5.1 must work, but it seems the raspberry pi 4 images are missing in the 5.1 version:

EDIT: It seems a known issue…

1 Like

Anyone solve the system locking up (freezing) problem? Before switching to this setup (SD card + SSD) I had my db on a separate server on the network and it was pretty rock solid except when that server went down, HA would lock up from continuing to try to communicate with the db. I switched to this setup expecting it to solve that problem. Now I get random lockups once every couple of weeks. It resolves itself with a hard reset (pulling the power and rebooting). I’m afraid that if this happens when I am away my HA alarm system will be compromised. @AndrejDelany @bbogdanmircea

I’m using a SanDisk 128GB Extreme PRO USB 3.1 SSD flash drive as my SSD, so no adapter. It does run a bit warm… so I thought maybe it was overheating, but now that I see others are having this issue… I’m thinking that its just this setup.

I couldn’t solve it, so I switched to a Intel NUC.

1 Like

I was able to get the current version running on a pi4. I flashed the install version but used the boot files from 5. Restored with a snapshot and was done. I was getting an error as it was still trying to read from the SD, but it didn’t seem to effect anything. I ran it for about 12 hours then went back to the SD. I’ll wait on HA or save it for when I have more time. SSD enclosure definitely makes a difference. I got nowhere with Orico. The working one was Inateck without UASP. I ordered one with UASP to give a try.

1 Like

The 5.1 release seems to have resolved some of the USB to NVMe compatibility issues. I had tried two different USB 3.0 UASP capable adapters (SSK’s SHE-C325 and Plugable’s USBC-NVME) and both wouldn’t boot with a Samsung 970 EVO 500GB (MZ-V7E500BW) SSD. The Plugable adapter will now boot (though it acted weird at first…throwing a website 500 error as it lost the USB drive, then when I rebooted it to solve that issue, it said it was unable to find the USB SSD 60+ times before booting). The SSK device will still not boot. Stops at the “Read start4.elf” process.

I have had success installing 5.1 RPi4 ( 4GB ) 64bit on a standard Sandisk USB stick. It has been running for over 12 hours and my addons are working fine. I just did a restore of my current production snapshot. I could not get the 32 bit version to boot.

I have been running on a SanDisk 128GB Extreme Pro Solid State Flash Drive for a while now using Raspbian Buster and docker ( links below ) flawlessly for a couple of months, just make sure you are running the latest stable firmware for RPi4. These Flash Drives cost $64 AUD and are super fast. I just ordered another one for the HASS.IO build.

I have an EVO SSD that also works via docker but is overkill as the USB 3 connection limits the speed.

https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/releases/download/5.1/hassos_rpi4-64-5.1.img.gz

1 Like