HASS.IO -> transfer from SD card to SSD or USB

This is a know problem with USB3 https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/io/universal-serial-bus/usb3-frequency-interference-paper.html

You can find enough info about this on google. The resolution is to use a extension cable for youre z-wave/ zigbee dongle. see also https://youtu.be/2PK3TrOGWNs

Ordered an extension :crossed_fingers:thank you!

Images for 5.2 have been posted for RPi4.

Here are links to the 32 Bit version, the 64 bit versions are not ready yet but maybe ready soon:-

The 64 bit version is now online.
I have just updated from 5.2 via USB and it seems to run a bit smoother than 5.1. However this could be due to the system running in a 8gb USB2 stick.

So for 20 minutes and counting 5.2 have proven stable…

Easiest way I have found to update is from terminal or SSH

ha os update --version 5.2

5 Likes

thanks - just the command i needed.

seems to have worked.
before

after

3 Likes

EDIT: Nevermind. It is back again. Cannot open File Editor, Visual Studio, ESPhome, etc. Just get “401: Unauthorized” every time. Nothing in the logs. Uninstall and reinstall, still broken. Reboot machine, still broken. No errors in the logs in reinstall. How in the hell are you supposed to fix something that throws no errors in the logs but is still broken?? Maybe there is something to examine in Log Viewer, but impossible to know.

Worked for me, too, and solved all the problems mentioned above. I finally have an RPi4B booting from SSD and running HA without additional issues.

1 Like

Not sure if this is related or not…I have started having issues with HA (both 4.12/4.13 and 5.1/5.2) in FireFox. If I use Edge (chrome version) it opens fine. Tried clearing cache and still can’t get it to work right in FireFox. Would try using different browser and see if you have a different outcome.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was using Firefox. So, just tried it in Brave, and same problem. Then tried it in Chromium and same problem. Turned off HTTPS everywhere, and everything else possible on the browsers, but none of these fixed it.

Today I saw this with HassOS 4.13 for the first time. But only on a Android tablet (Fire HD 10) with the newest Home Assistant App. If I am using Vivaldi browser on the same tablet it is working fine!

On all my iPhones/iPads/Mac/PC with the Home Assistant App/different browsers (Safari/Vivaldi/Chrome) it is working fine!

Just a quick note that my Pi 4 won’t boot from a Toshiba SSD X10 120G with HassOS 5.2 attached to the lower USB 3 socket, but will on the upper. OTOH the Pi will boot from a 250G Samsung T5 SSD in the lower USB 3 socket.
Worth trying both sockets!

I can update supervisor 244 or rather not

Which guide did you use and were you able to restore your previous home assistant set-up via snapshots?

I’m currently running HASSOS on pi4 SD card.

No problem, i run supervisor 244 on HassOS 5.2.

Thanks. HassOS 5.2, supervisor 244, boot ssd
It works ok.

I think I used James Chambers’ guide (https://jamesachambers.com/raspberry-pi-4-bootloader-firmware-updating-recovery-guide/). His site has other information about SSDs and microSDs that are worth looking at. Basically, update the eeprom.

Further: the Pi 4 boots with the Samsung T5 in either USB3 socket (but the Toshiba only on the upper.)

Hello! Is somebody running HA on SSD with their RPI experiencing unreliability after some days?

1 Like

Mine has been working flawlessly for a week now!

Yeah, I’ve been running on SSD for several months now but I’ve noticed that I tend to lose my system regularly and I don’t know if the SSD may have something to do

Mine is running since the first Beta V5.0 came out, without any problems. In meantime i also upgraded from V5.0>V5.1>V5.2. All is running perfectly