HASS.IO -> transfer from SD card to SSD or USB

This is the same here:

[Tue Sep 29 09:51:00 CEST 2020][Info] Init run
[Tue Sep 29 09:51:01 CEST 2020][Info] Sensor value: 0)°
[Tue Sep 29 09:51:01 CEST 2020][Info] Sensor update response code: 201

Hi again, somebody using Crucial 120GB SSD model CT120BX500SSD1?

What should be the problem in using it? The problem is not the SSD it’s the USB-SATA controller from the enclosure!

Hi there, I’m experiencing system unreliability as described in this issue: https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/40471

My gut feeling is that there is something wrong with my SSD, but it could very well be the controller of course. When the problem arises, I will see errors in home-assistant.log that may suggest that a certain component is acting up, but I doubt that the Tado component is the culprit as it is widely used…

Do you use that drive? What controller do you use it with?

Thanks!!

No, I have a Crucial BX500 and on another Pi4 I am using a Crucial MX500.

I am using this one: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07D2BHVBD

No issues with that controller? I’m so fed up with my unreliability that I’m going to buy a new controller just in case.

Edit: just ordered mine!

I’m experiencing random lockups too. I’m using a 128GB Crucial drive. Do you have any further insights into what is going on?

Hi there! Are you keeping this list updated somewhere? Thanks a million for putting that together Ann’s making community

I put a high cfm fan over the rpi and the drive and put some small heatsinks on the drive and I haven’t noticed a lockup since.

If someone is searching for the guide. It can now be found here: https://homeassistantforum.de/thema/pi4b-nur-mit-einer-usb-ssd-betreiben-ohne-sd-karte/#post-1069

I updated the guide for the new Pi4B bootloader!

2 Likes

Just migrated from SD to SSD on my RPi3B successfully with the 32bit hassos_rpi3-4.13.img.gz image. A few niggles after loading my old snapshot backup, but nothing updating the add-ons and core didn’t sort out.

Hardware is a WD Green 120Gb SSD with a cheap Simplecom SE101 USB3 enclosure from MSY locally.
Have an small 8Gb SD card in slot with bootcode.bin on it and nothing else. Not sure if I can ditch that now.

Anyway 24 hours and stable…

Edit: Motivated by my third SD card in 24 months dying this week.

I need assistance if anyone can help. I migrated to SSD due to failed SD card and did a new install. I am on HassOS 5.2 and 0.116 and the new installation is working perfect. I had google backup add-on and have 4 snapshots, and been trying to restore, but keep getting the following error.

2020-10-08 11:03:50 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.hassio.http] Client timeout error on API request snapshots/new/upload

I recall that I had set the snapshots to be password protected, so maybe that is the problem?

What version were you on when you took those snapshots? Have you considered rolling back to that version and giving it a shot?

got that same enclosure today (that’s what I would say based on the information that I saw on amazon). Just installed it. Will report on what happens now. I so much wish this solves my issue…

@gremblin Could you share some pictures? Are you monitoring the temperature on the SSD somehow?

The last snapshot was on ver 0.115.2. I have no clue on how to roll back to 0.115.2. Any pointers? Would try anything to get back as I have 6 months of work on my HA.

Try this: How to downgrade Home Assistant?

Thank you @kitus. I managed to change it to 0.115.2. However, on the Snapshot page, at the 3 dots on the right corner, only shows the reload option, the upload option is not shown (it was there in 0.116), so there is no way I can add the older (my last working snapshot) to the list of available snapshots. Even the Google Snapshot does not show the older snapshot and pressing “Sync Now” in settings does not update the list, even though the snapshots are on the google drive. I just can not seem to be able to add the snapshot to the list so I can try and restore it. Very frustrating.

@Sunil have you tried to use the Samba Addon to upload your snapshot? It should be uploaded to the backup folder…

@Sunil, Erik is right. Try that and let us know!