HASS.IO -> transfer from SD card to SSD or USB

Same problem here, but instead of 5.2 I’m on version 5.3 with all the newer updates causing lock ups.

2 Likes

To get away from the issues related to HASSIO supporting bootup from USB/SSD, consider to run HA in Docker using the IOTstack setup. Graham Garner did all the heavy lifting and provided a nice menu and scripts that will do the initial setup, backups etc. It is well documented, with an active Discord Forum.

Also see the RPi 4 USB boot and RPi with Docker/IOTstack videos by Andreas Spiess on how to set up a RPi using a SSD.
NOTE: Whatever you do, don’t bother to buy a SSD from KingSpec. It lasted me a full three months before it crapped out on me.

I got my raspbarry pi3b+ working with SSD.
Installed from scratch, migrate my backup (database is always corrupt but just deleted it).
Could upgrade to latest patches, all worked fine.
Today I shutdown the host since I wanted to relocate the pi but it doesn’t want to boot now.
I had similar issues a week ago. I tought I had disconnected the powerplug by mistake an tought the disk was corrupt but I have the feeling it is a more structural issues I have.

Anyone who can help me ?

Hello everyone. I went all this way with freezes, ssd over usb RPi4. I checked on OS versions 5.5 - 5.10. The system hung at different times on all of them. Then I installed 5.2 and updated it to 5.3, for more than a month there are no problems, everything works as great.

Yes! It worked for my Odroid C4. Thank you!
core-2021.2.3 & supervisor-2021.02.9

Instead of Linux rig, I used different SD card with Linux on the same Odroid

Hi all

I’m trying UNSUCCESSFULY to migrate my SD to a SSD.

Pi4 2Gb updated -> boot USB ok
SSD flashed with the latest 64bits HassOS -> Boot fine

But then, I can’t restore my snapshot (on the onboarding menu or after created a new account, in the snapshot menu)
What can I try ?

I’m going crazy :crazy_face:

Install ssh and smb. Copy the image to the HA backup folder

Well some advice for those who are planning to transfer/move from microSD to SSD, I find ArgonOne M2 is one of the best cases for RPI4. ArgonOne with an active and passive cooling system combines with M2 Sata makes it a perfect solution without having to get an SSD with the right/correct enclosure.

https://www.amazon.com/Argon-Raspberry-Support-B-Key-Compatible/dp/B08MJ3CSW7

Furthermore, if you guys want a multi-use of your RPI then you can try Debian supervised version which also great. I made scripts to help noobs install it

So hopefully this will help.

I did this

I choose my snapshot, click on Restore Selected (I unchecked the first Home Assistant line)
Then it quickly show me the small black popup “Connexion Lost…” (no progress display ?)

I’ve seen (thank’s to Samba) some files appears to be restored.

Now I can’t access on the file (smb) or on the Webpage

I’m still stuck at the same point

anyone who can help me ?

The Raspberry remains offline during the move, right? I’m trying to move mine to a 750GB drive (I know it’s way too big, but it was my only spare disk), and the Pi is not pingable; I’m kind of scared.

The easiest way for me was to install on the SSD either HAOS or Debian and then do a snapshot restore. There are several very good tutorials depending on which method you choose.

Just for future reference: Home Assistant OS now has an external data disk feature that takes care of moving data from SD to an external disk.
Maybe it’s not enough documented, but it’s there.
See Home Assistant OS Release 5 - Home Assistant

3 Likes

can’t find em either but well it’s 2 years later now
else I would’ve added that it works with the DollaTek X850 adapter and the Transcend TS64GMSA230S SSD

Running on a PI4 all I had to do was enabling the USB boot on the PI and then instead of flashing an SDcard with hassio I flash a regular hard drive. Blog

Hope this helps

1 Like

I did “move datadisk” from the supervisor menu. Pi4 rebooted and is up&running. How do I know that the move was successful ? Is there a way to check some logs, partition anything? I cannot access the damn host itself, all terminals are inside the container…

Found this command and the way I interpret itäs output is that the move has not happend and data disk is still a SDcard.

~ $ ha os info
board: rpi4-64
boot: B
data_disk: /dev/mmcblk0p8              <---------------
update_available: false
version: "9.4"
version_latest: "9.4"

Your blog indicates that you were running Raspberry Pi OS. How does this translate to HAOS?

The blog isn’t mine. In order to run HASSIO on a usb hard drive I simply flashed HASSIO img on a hard drive instead of an SDCARD. Of course before I was able to boot from the hard drive I had to enable usb boot and for that you can simply follow the step 4 from the blog link.

4. Check BOOT ORDER configuration.

sudo rpi-eeprom-config
Take note of the BOOT_ORDER code. The defualt code is 0xf41 and is read right to left to determine the boot order.
1 = Check SD card
4 = Check USB drive
f = Start again
This boot order is exactly what we want. If the boot order code is anything other than 0xf41, you can change the boot configuration using this command.
sudo -E rpi-eeprom-config --edit

1 Like