HASS.IO -> transfer from SD card to SSD or USB

Ah, problem, i don’t have a win pc (there is an old laptop but no sd card reader ) What is the os on the Hassos image? (maybe i can find a driver for my Mac)

Ensure the pi is updated to the latest eeprom update.
Done, 16 july 2020
Download the HA OS version 5.0 for SSD Boot and burn that version to SSD
I did that, again, but the pi4 does not start with it. So it can not continue.

And i have also an sd card with the new Hassos 5 but if i start it on the RP4 you can not ssh to it or access it to copy it to the connected SSD drive.

@bonestaak Does the pi boot fom Pi OS on SSD? That should be the first test ensure it boots from ssd with latest Pi OS on SSD, it takes a while depending on the SSD size for the HA OS to set up and become available. Even if you have a 3.0 Flash USB to test PI OS boot from MSD that would work. If you update your current version on SD to 5.0 via Terminal or SSH and 'ha os update --version 5.0" and take a snapshot of that after you ensure that 5.0 is working with yoour current install. It will post an update to 4.11 in supervisor if you have issue. Once the system sets up treat it as a new install set up Samba and then drop in your SD Snapshot. Restore it and it should bring up your current HA installation after it restarts.

Problem is that i can not read the other card also, i used Raspberry Pi OS (32-bit) Lite to program the eeprom. I used an 8 GB sd card. But after burning the pios on the card this card is also not readable on my Mac.
the only solution should be: putting my Hassos 5 sd card (32GB) in my RP4 and then copy the files from the sd to the attached ssd drive (but how?) But that is not possibel as by Hassos you can not make a connection with terminal (Mac version of Putty) also you can not connect to Hassos with Samba. The Hassos environment is only available on Home Assistant, not any kind of explorer or file manager.

No need to read extra cards. Make sure the pi boots from SSD with PI OS without SD card. Shutdown and use Balena Etcher to burn the HA OS 5.0 image from the GITHUB link above to the SSD, Hopefully you have a backup available on your computer, with copies of important files and custom yaml files as some may need to be moved over manually. Once the pi reboots(takes a while) and loads find the IP of the install. Go to it, set up samba or some file share and drop the snapshot into the backup folder, along with any other files that are required for your current install. Go to supervisor, restore the snapshot that you moved. reboot system after restore and check logs. Fix anything that needs to be changed and your old install will be transferred to this current one on SSD. I’m on Windows so not familiar with MAC operations.

EDIT: Copying current SD card to SSD doesn’t appear to work. Restoring from a snapshot appears to work on a fresh Image of HA OS 5.0 on the SSD.

Is this the boot-loader your using?

2020-07-20 Promote 2020-07-16 bootloader and VL805 0138A1 FW to stable - STABLE

Do you no longer need to copy the *.elf and *.dat files?

On this moment i use the Synology version of Hassio, so when starting again with Pi i must start from scratch (i think i can not use the snapshots from the Synology).

Yes thats the bootloader

Okay, this is what I have got so far…

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo rpi-eeprom-update
BCM2711 detected
Dedicated VL805 EEPROM detected
BOOTLOADER: up-to-date
CURRENT: Thu 16 Jul 15:15:46 UTC 2020 (1594912546)
LATEST: Thu 16 Jul 15:15:46 UTC 2020 (1594912546)
FW DIR: /lib/firmware/raspberrypi/bootloader/stable
VL805: up-to-date
CURRENT: 000138a1
LATEST: 000138a1

Do you still have to copy *.elf and *.dat files to the SSD with HA OS 5.0 image that I burned with Balena Etcher becaus for now it will not boot without?

Does the SSD boot with latest Pi OS on it (or from a USB stick with latest Pi OS, to enure compatibility and boot from MSD is operational. That’s the first step, some cables and SSDs may need quirks to operate properly, I am using the update from 2020-07-06 (minor beta update 2020-07-06). I didn’t copy anything over, connected it to the pi with SD attached, made sure I could see it and using fdisk, I deleted any partitions, used pi Imager to burn the latest Pi OS on the SSD. I then removed sd and connected SSD, ran update full upgrade, check versions (2020-07-06 version). If it works and boots a couple times, use Balena Etcher to burn the Home Assistant V5.0 mentioned above. Plug it in and wait, attach a monitor to watch progress and keyboard to access terminal without SSHing if needed to access CLI.

You should be able to use the snapshot. It makes no difference which platform it was created with. That’s the whole point of snapshots.

No, there is no need to copy the elf files. As long as the eeprom is updated, flash the 64-bit HassOS 5.0 to the SSD and boot it!

The 32-bit OS will not work with USB boot.

Thanks, will try that, was not clear to me before.

I checked on Installation - Home Assistant and 32bit is the recommended build for PI4.

What if any are the pros and cons between the two?

I have successfully tested the bootloader by copying to SSD and USB SANDISK the PI OS and both those boot without SD card inserted.Will revert again once tested with 64bit OS

hey mark, what steps did you follow? i cant get mine to boot from the SSD

Have you got the latest EEPROM?

use vcgencmdbootloader_version to find out from command line.

this is mine and status is stable.

BCM2711 detected
Dedicated VL805 EEPROM detected
BOOTLOADER: up-to-date
CURRENT: Thu 16 Jul 15:15:46 UTC 2020 (1594912546)
LATEST: Thu 16 Jul 15:15:46 UTC 2020 (1594912546)
FW DIR: /lib/firmware/raspberrypi/bootloader/stable
VL805: up-to-date
CURRENT: 000138a1
LATEST: 000138a1

I Installed PI OS 32 bit on SD card with Raspberry PI Imager.
booted up with SD to GUI and went to SD CARD copier
copied SD Card To SDD, once complete shutdown and remove SD Card.
Power on and Raspberry PI then booted from SSD.

Shutdown PI and use Balena Etcher to burn the Home Assistant V5.0 64 bit to SSD.

Plug SSD into PI without SD Card and boot, If you have a monitor attached to the PI you should see the Installation begin, otherwise wait until you can access HA on http://192.168.x.x:8123

2 Likes

cheers, will try that now.

interestingly, i did manage to get PiOS running fine.
I then did a diag test, with the following results.
Unless im reading it wrong, the microSD is faster then the SSD over USB3?

MicroSD

Raspberry Pi Diagnostics - version 0.4
Mon Jul 27 07:25:24 2020
Test : SD Card Speed Test
Run 1
prepare-file;0;0;39839;77
seq-write;0;0;37925;74
rand-4k-write;0;0;2763;690
rand-4k-read;9975;2493;0;0
Sequential write speed 37925 KB/sec (target 10000) - PASS
Random write speed 690 IOPS (target 500) - PASS
Random read speed 2493 IOPS (target 1500) - PASS
Test PASS

Kingston SSD

Raspberry Pi Diagnostics - version 0.4 
Mon Jul 27 07:18:26 2020

Test : SD Card Speed Test
Run 1
prepare-file;0;0;26705;52
seq-write;0;0;26793;52
rand-4k-write;0;0;14972;3743
rand-4k-read;17044;4261;0;0
Sequential write speed 26793 KB/sec (target 10000) - PASS
Random write speed 3743 IOPS (target 500) - PASS
Random read speed 4261 IOPS (target 1500) - PASS
Test PASS

hey mark, i have the latest EEPROM.

I got this all working fine:

I Installed PI OS 32 bit on SD card with Raspberry PI Imager.
booted up with SD to GUI and went to SD CARD copier
copied SD Card To SDD, once complete shutdown and remove SD Card.
Power on and Raspberry PI then booted from SSD.

i then did this:

Shutdown PI and use Balena Etcher to burn the Home Assistant V5.0 64 bit to SSD.

Plug SSD into PI without SD Card and boot, If you have a monitor attached to the PI you should see the Installation begin

i keep getting the “Timeout waiting for hardware cmd interrupt” error now

Could it be your hardware?

Im using

ELUTENG USB 3.0 to SATA Cable

and Crucial BX500 120 GB CT120BX500SSD1(Z)

turns out i had to wait.
so HA loads up and i can access the UI - all good

i keep seeing the “timeout waiting for hardware cmd interrupt” message however