HASS.IO -> transfer from SD card to SSD or USB

Just got my SSD and cable… Here goes nothing! Hopefully everything I have installed works on the 64bit.:crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers:

Well, got it started up was very snappy, but a lot of my tasmota and z-wave devices stopped responding. :thinking:

It took me a little tinkering. But I’ve got it working now. I’ve bought some cheap USB3.0 hdd case on some Chinese website and the performance was poor and the system unstable. That’s when fully read this topic, googled a bit and found out about quirks…
My advice to everyone is to read this topic thoroughly, or to check out this site: https://jamesachambers.com/raspberry-pi-4-usb-boot-config-guide-for-ssd-flash-drives/ as also referenced to earlier in this topic. And to stop your logfile from filling up, also apply dtparam=sd_poll_once=on to config.txt (NOT cmdline.txt as I did at first :blush:) as also mentioned here in post 365.
I’m repeating all this stuff, because I found it a bit hard to find in this big topic and maybe it’ll help other people in the right direction.

Another thing that maybe interesting for some: GPIO works flawlessly on the 64-bit version of HASS.IO!

Now I can start building my new setup parallel to my existing one on my new Pi4 with SSD. My wife won’t let me take down the current one for a day or two :slight_smile: And I think that’s the biggest compliment I can give to the developers!

2 Likes

Ok to have a positive feedback regarding the use of GPIO on 64bit HassOS.
Then there are in my opinion no more barriers to use the 64bit instead of 32bit HassOS!

I totally agree! I’m about halfway in the setup of my hardware and did a few automations. I haven’t found any issues with the 64bit HassOS.

Does anyone have an idea of when a stable HASSOS 5-version will be released? I don’t know the release routines, and how long the OS usually is in beta.

Go to: https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/releases and you’ll see all releases of HASS OS

Thanks! I know where to find them. I’m just curious when v. 5.0 will be released as a stable version. I’m planning a migration to a RPi 4 with 8Gb RAM, and was planning to wait for a stable release.

Have no idea. You can use v 5.1. I’m using v 5.0 and I’m good, no problems so far.

1 Like

That is very good news! Thank you.

1 Like

I couldn’t wait, so installed 5.1 on my RPi 4 with 8Gb RAM. Works like a charm. I migrated from RPi 3 in a couple of hours!

No reason to wait. The most stuff that is changed moslty regarding homeassistant is within the core and not on the OS. HassOS V5.1 is running the Docker containers fine, so low beta risks regarding the OS

So will it be possible to update from HassOS v5.1 to maybe v5.2?

Yes no problem i upgraded from V5.0 to V5.1. You just have to download the new
hassos-*.raucb file from the new update and put this file on a USB stick. Make sure you have the LABEL of the USB-drive named CONFIG, and then select import from USB in home-assistant core within the supervisor->System screen. After this the update will be aplied and the system will autoreboot. I case of update failure it will rollback to the working system. (That is the advantage the embedded RAUC update within HassOS (BuildRoot)) see documentation : https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/blob/a2a4cf8668c3c333b4641da264d5eed18a786179/Documentation/configuration.md

Thank you for the explanation of updating!
Every day you learn new thing about Home Assistant. :slight_smile:

Joined the fun of USB boot. Having crashed my intended USB 3 thumb drive when using it for a normal file transfer I went with an spare USB2 8GB drive.
Works reasonable well and the system is so far stable.

Thanks for all the good comments in the topic.

I’m running hass.io from SD card on RPI4b, i’ve moved files to USB SSD as mentioned above, but i’ve got no option to import from USB in current (latest normal release 4.x i belive) version…
Any clues how to start with it? I would really like to get USB SSD boot :confused:

You don’t have it?

No, and now i know why, because i’ve got 4.x as main system.
Now i’ve got 5.1 on sd card, but still my RPI is not booting from USB, even after selecting usb boot from ```
raspi-config

hey all,
not sure if anyone can help

i was running rpi4 on v5.0 64bit, for 3months+
stupidly i hit the wrong button and ugpraded to the latest “v4x” version

this obviously killed everything and now im not sure how to get my daily backup (on the SSD) back, so i can rebuild on v5.1 and load up my old v5 backups?

i have a MicroSD plugged in, which gets me to the command line of the pi, using the pi user, however im not sure how to get to the SSD and then save my daily backups?