HASS.IO -> transfer from SD card to SSD or USB

Found a way to run the two commands

# docker container exec homeassistant /opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd measure_volts
volt=1.3500V
# docker container exec homeassistant /opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd get_throttled
throttled=0xd0000

what do you think?

For the second one, I made a typo: it should be vcgencmd get_throttled. Sorry about that!

When it’s not throttled, you should see something like this:

To reproduce your situation, you can put those into a loop and wait to see when your rPi gets throttled.

I caught it. Fixed already. Something has definitely happened because I got this

0xd0000

I’m trying to figure out what that means by reading this: Monitoring Raspberry Pi Power and Thermal Issues

and here one can see that you are a star: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=240215

Specifically, somebody digested what 0xd0000 means and voilà

Hex D 0 0 0 0
Binary 1101 0000 0000 0000 0000 
Bit#---- 1111 1111 1100 0000 0000 
---------- 9876 5432 1098 7654 3210 
------------------^----- Bit 16 is on - Been under voltage (at least once)
--------------^--------- Bit 18 is on - Been throttled (at least once)
-------------^---------- Bit 19 is on - Soft temperature limit has occurred (at lest once)
Note: since bits 0-3 are zero, the Pi is not currently UV or throttled).
1 Like

This might help: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/raspbian/applications/vcgencmd.md

If I remember correctly, 0xd0000 means that your Pi has been throttled previously due to under-voltage. If you also get a 0x50000 then that’s absolutely what it is.

What kind of power supply are you using?

That’s what I was just looking for! LOL

I’m using this power adaptor: https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B01N4BLIKS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Never heard of the brand, but the power spec looks right. I still maintain, you’ll probably have better performance going with an externally powered USB hub. The rPi3B+ only supplies 1200mA to all 4 USB ports (they are all wired to the same chip on the board and any devices connected have to share that power) along with the CPU, GPU and EEPROM. Any externally powered USB hub should work (and you can go with a USB2 hub as they are REALLY cheap now).

Let me check Amazon. I bow to you.

1 Like

@code-in-progress I ended up purchasing this product: https://www.amazon.es/dp/B08CX7GX49/ref=pe_3310721_185740151_TE_item_image

I installed it yesterday and my system is now using it. The only setback that I encountered was that my z-wave network did not come up. As soon as I plugged the zwave dongle back to RPI ports, everything works. Will report back.

Temperature seems to be stable except when my daily backup is generated

Regards

1 Like

That’s awesome! Hmmm, I wonder if there is some weird mapping occurring between your Z-Wave dongle and the USB adapter. An easy way to check would be to dmesg | grep 'tty' and see if the assignment changes when you plug the dongle into the hub versus the onboard port.

Thanks for the tip. I want to leave the setup running for a few days just to check if it collapses again or stays stable. I will keep your suggestion in mind and test it when I do a restart.

Thanks again for your support throughout this process. I’m crossing my fingers I fixed my problem now thanks to your contribution. Will report back.

1 Like

Hi there @code-in-progress,

my monitoring tool reports that Home Asssistant has gone down twice, once yesterday and once again today. I checked yesterday the parameters we discussed above, and the output that I got was 0x0, however, after today’s reboot, I see `

0x800000

I’ve searched online and I came across this page: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=224861

It looks like my RPI 3B+ has hit a soft temp limit but this seems to not have anything to do with the undervoltage thing discussed a few days back. I wonder if I should buy a new fan…

0xd0000

I really don’t know what to do in order to recover stability. I’m a bit lost. Would you be able to guide me on further fixing my environment? After reviewing the HA logs I see several errors as reported in this issue (opened by me): https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/41233

Upon inspecting the HA logs I see that HA has rebooted several times (not only twice as reported by my monitoring tool) and in most cases I believe there is a correlation with this issue https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/41233

If it helps, I sometimes see that the NodeRed add-on has also hung and not even the watchdog seems to be triggering an add-on restart.

I’m at a loss. If somebody could shed some light on how to move forward.
thanks a million!

Of course I’d be willing to help! I’ll read through the links you sent and see what ideas I can come up with.

Regarding your fan, honestly, I’d just spend a little extra and get a rPi4B 2GB (or 4GB) and transfer your instance there. There have been A LOT of improvements between the rPi3 and rPi4 including a firmware update that reduces the heat output on the rPi4.

Give me a bit to do some light reading on your links. :slight_smile:

Thanks a million @code-in-progress!! Just by trying you are really helping me!! Thank you!

On the RPI4 I’m just wondering if I should not rather rethink my whole setup. I own an ancient Qnap NAS from 2008 (unable to do containers) and I’ve so far added an external SSD to my RPI3 along with an external powered USB hub to my RPI3B+… with so many peripherals it starts to feel like a Christmas Tree… :slight_smile:

1 Like

During last night my problems seem to have worsened :frowning:

It is really weird what is going on. After adding the powered USB Hub, my environment worked just fine (at least the monitoring tool did not tell otherwise) for 6 or 8 days, but then three days ago things changed a lot. It has become very unreliable. I just plugged the plug hoping it gets a bit cooler, just to see if that matters at all.

Sorry about the long delay again. Work has been a nightmare the past few days. sigh

To be completely honest, yeah, you might want to.

On my rPis, I only have one that I use a SSD with; All the others (I think I have 9 running now?) use Sandisk USB3 flash drives for boot and storage and they run great. BUT, I also have so many because these are still single board computers and resources, no matter how big they seem, still have constraints with power and traffic across the bus. So, I split apps and services across multiple rPis. My server cabinet ALWAYS looks like a Christmas Tree. :slight_smile:

With your issues coming back, I wonder if the rPi3s that you have are just starting to show their age perhaps? It’s entirely possible that due to high heat/weird voltage fluctuations, there could be a chip on the board that is starting to become faulty.

Another thing to look at is to see if you have an old laptop laying around (or one you can buy cheap) and transfer your install to that. The reason being that the motherboard on a laptop supplies much more power to the USB bus, plus, you also get a built-in battery backup. I just recently spun up an HA instance on an old HP laptop from 8 years ago and it runs great.

Thanks again for your continuous s

Yeah, and making the right decision moving forward is also a mess. As I said, I own an old QNAP NAS which is unable to do containers. I could invest in a modern NAS able to run containers and then consolidate HA there along with some other services running today in one other RPI (dhcp, openvpn, etc.). OR I could keep my current NAS as a mundane network file server and add a NUC in replacement of my RPIs.

I just hate to be forced to rethink my environment due to this weird behaviour, specially when I have not yet pinpointed what the root cause really is. My gut feeling however points me to some hardware issue but I would like to narrow it down a bit more because maybe I’m blaming the RPI when the culprit may be the SSD, or God knows what…

PS: 24h of continuous operation after plugging back the plug. I wonder if my problem comes from a combination of multiple factors like the github issue and some other thing…

A few months back I switched to an SSD USB drive from an SD card. In order to do that I had to run HASS.IO 5.1 dev deployment. For months I had the alert saying to upload it to version 4.1. It seems that version 5.x has been released. I would like to know the steps to take to switch from my development deployment to a final release deployment. Any help is appreciated. Thanks,

SSH to PI.
Use command: ha os update --version=5.4

1 Like

Hello, after 5 months from the latest crash, it is time to reinstall HA again.
I am HA running inside Docker on an 120 SSD with the old SD booting Rpi4 1Gb.
Yesterday I noticed my HA container has 80 Gb!!! So I did a backup and then a Wipe Restore.
Since then system is very slow or unresponsive.
If I can’t fix it I would like to update to the latest USB boot without any SD, and then still to have Docker and HA so I can restore my latest backup.
Can anybody point to a guide for the USB booting for Rpi4 ?

@code-in-progress and the rest. 1 full week without any glitch. Disabling influxdb and grafana seems to have stabilized the environment. All of this has happened while the NUC was being delivered. Now I have a NUC that is gathering dust because so far the RPI has managed to hold the posture well. I’m considering returning the NUC right now :frowning: