HASS.IO -> transfer from SD card to SSD or USB

Running on a PI4 all I had to do was enabling the USB boot on the PI and then instead of flashing an SDcard with hassio I flash a regular hard drive. Blog

Hope this helps

1 Like

I did ā€œmove datadiskā€ from the supervisor menu. Pi4 rebooted and is up&running. How do I know that the move was successful ? Is there a way to check some logs, partition anything? I cannot access the damn host itself, all terminals are inside the containerā€¦

Found this command and the way I interpret itƤs output is that the move has not happend and data disk is still a SDcard.

~ $ ha os info
board: rpi4-64
boot: B
data_disk: /dev/mmcblk0p8              <---------------
update_available: false
version: "9.4"
version_latest: "9.4"

Your blog indicates that you were running Raspberry Pi OS. How does this translate to HAOS?

The blog isnā€™t mine. In order to run HASSIO on a usb hard drive I simply flashed HASSIO img on a hard drive instead of an SDCARD. Of course before I was able to boot from the hard drive I had to enable usb boot and for that you can simply follow the step 4 from the blog link.

4. Check BOOT ORDER configuration.

sudo rpi-eeprom-config
Take note of the BOOT_ORDER code. The defualt code is 0xf41 and is read right to left to determine the boot order.
1 = Check SD card
4 = Check USB drive
f = Start again
This boot order is exactly what we want. If the boot order code is anything other than 0xf41, you can change the boot configuration using this command.
sudo -E rpi-eeprom-config --edit

1 Like