Hass.io Upgrades DO NOT work

Hass.io is supposed to make keeping Home Assistant up-to-date easy. It has NEVER done this for me. I have reinstalled, fresh, hass.io half a dozen times to get the latest version of Home Assistant because the upgrade simply does not work. Ever.

Clicking the Update button in the UI does not work. SSH’ing in and typing hassio homeassistant update does not work. No errors, nothing. All either of those commands do is restart Home Assistant, no upgrade in place.

How does a fresh install never work? How can I troubleshoot this? Why don’t I get any errors?

What Docker version you’re running?

I had the same issue, and after some investigation I found that my Docker version was no longer valid (some methods where deprecated) and had to update to the Docker CE.

Not sure if you have the same issue I had but I followed the instructions here: https://docs.docker.com/engine/installation/linux/docker-ce/ubuntu and everything went very smooth, no issue. Actually the other containers I had running kept running after the upgrade with no issue.

I found this issue because I was seeing some error messages in the log for the hassio_supervisor container.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

I appreciate the help, but why would any of this matter if I installed the hass.io image? SSH’ing into the Pi and running docker shows that docker isn’t even installed.

Interesting, It’s my understanding that Hass.io is based on Docker, can you please try again?

I might be confused but that’s my understanding after reviewing https://github.com/home-assistant/hassio-build/tree/master/install#install-hassio

I cannot try anything again since I haven’t tried anything in the first place.

Hass.io is a preinstalled image for the Pi. There literally is no install of anything. I don’t know what you’re linking to, but the official instructions are here: https://home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/

I’ve been running on a Pi3 connected via ethernet without issue. Which Pi platform are you using? What add-ons do you have installed?

Raspberry Pi 3 with the Hass.io image. Connected via Ethernet. Samba and SSH add-ons only. Have had to reinstall for every Home Assistant version I’ve wanted to upgrade since 0.52. Neither the UI button or the SSH command to upgrade do anything, they just end up restarting Home Assistant with no upgrade and no errors or feedback.

Interesting… Not far off of what I have. I started out with just samba and bluetooth, then added duckdns and ssh. SSH is typically off. I recently moved to MariaDB, but none of this explains why you are having problems. I’m running on a 32Gb card.

Hi,
I had a similar issue up until recently. I could not run any commands to upgrade, and everytime I restarted Home Assistant it would revert back to some previous configuration I had, loosing any changes I had made.

I had a feeling there might be something wrong with my SD card, as I checked out the forums and couldn’t find anyone experiencing similar issues.

I ran a check of the card and found a lot of bad sectors.
Went out and brought a new card and everything is running back to normal.

1 Like

I’ve got the same issue as goyney. Will_garbutt, how do you check the SD card withing hassio?

I’ve found the only way to upgrade is to save a backup, reflash hassio and then restore the backup. It sure would be nice to figure out why updates aren’t working for some of us.

58.1 installed on a new card. We’ll see when the new version drops if this is still a problem or not.

When you update, are you waiting long enough? I haven’t timed it, but updates for me seem to take 10ish minutes to complete.

Same for me, when I first clicked on update it felt like it didn’t work, but I left it and after like 20-30 minutes it was up and running with new update nicely

I’m aware that it could take a considerable amount of time. I’ve left it for more than an hour in some cases. In any event, the system reboots and I’m left with the same version I started with.

Let us know if your new card solves the problem!

You are lucky.
0.58 just bricked my hass.io.
I can no more access it, even via smb.

Brand new card, fresh install of 0.58.1. Just tried to upgrade to 0.59.1 via the UI. Nothing. Tried via terminal, nothing. There is something completely broken with Hass.io updater.

Is it possible that you have networking or DNS issues that interfere with the update? If there is a way to enable more logging during the update? I poked around and it’s not obvious. Have you opened up a ticket on GitHub?

I think there is something wrong with something else like dap35 said, i just updated with no problems.

I’d be looking at other hardware issues in your case @goyney considering this seems to be a relatively isolated case (considering how many others of us are updating without any issues at all).

What size and type of SD card are you using? When I initially suggested a different SD card, I should have mentioned that when I had a problem that was solved using a different SD card, the initial card was in fact new vs the card I’m now using which is a few years old, and smaller capacity (currently 8GB vs. initial 32GB). RPi’s can be difficult with SD cards, especially HC ones.