HASS.IO vs Dietpi + Manual install

Hey I have a quick question. I have been running homeassistant on DietPi for a few years now and recently tried out HASS.IO image which gives you buildroot based hypervisor + the docker version of homeassistant and an attempt at making the product more user friendly (as far as I can see).

I found it a bit disorienting to work with buildroot. For example I wanted to see what services were running and typed systemctl and it’s not installed. I presume the point is to provide minimal services + docker based images on this hypervisor, but I wonder why you would give up the freedom to do anything you want on a regular Linux install, like DietPi.

I think I just need to be educated :slight_smile:

What is your experience?

If you want the Linux experience and commands it’s not for you. It’s very stripped down.

Just follow the hassio Linux installation instructions. I am running hassio on Raspian Lite.

Because HassOS is an appliance. It is intended to just work. It is not intended for tinkerers and people that are used to managing their systems.

For a Pi, so is Hassbian :smiley: It is HA on a Raspbian Lite venv with a few management scripts.

No, Hassbian is just Raspbian with Home Assistant already configured for a Python Virtual Environment. You still have a full OS that you can do whatever you like.

Different altogether.

True but the devs make sure all the dependencies are there. There are now additional dependencies needed for Linux (except Hassbian) for z-wave. That broke me a while back when they became mandatory.

HA & the OS are updated through Hassbian scripts.

That doesn’t make it an appliance. An appliance indicates that is not customizable or extendable outside what has been provided. You can’t add packages to an appliance.

By that definition the Hassio image is not an appliance due to addon “packages” & custom components.

You cannot have your cake & eat it too.

Not true. They provide a canned set of add-ons. This falls in line with what an appliance is.

There are MANY appliances on the market today with this option. The host OS is still not configurable or extendable.

Again, the HOST OS is not extendable or configurable outside of what the developers have allowed.

And you said APPLIANCE which includes Hassio & home assistant. You cannot change your successfully argument midstream.

I didn’t change a damn thing midstream.

HassOS, AS AN APPLIANCE is not configurable or extendable ASIDE FROM WHAT HAS BEEN PROVIDED BY THE DEVELOPERS IN THE FORM OF ADD-ONS AND ADD-ON CAPABILITY

Look, dude, Hassbian isn’t a F$%&ing appliance. Hassbian is a preconfigured OS for you to use and can do what you want to. HassOS is a F&$^ing appliance. END OF F&*(ING STORY.

1 Like

@flamingm0e is correct.

The add-on’s are all SEPARATE containers from HA. Nothing in a given container is persisted. All of your configs, automations, DB, etc that need to persist, are in a mount point that is external to the container.

External to the docker containers but still part of the supposed HassOs appliance.
The configuration with Hassio on Raspbian is also outside the containers.

If you are doing Hassio on Raspian, it is not an appliance. You are building a docker environment and and deploying a container on it with HA. Good solution if you want the extra flexibility. If you just want toast, use the appliance - it is fit for purpose.

And that’s not an appliance either.

Thanks all for the responses. This was indeed educational :slight_smile:

Next question: are you using HASS.IO and what’s your preference?

I am using Hassio on Linux because it appears to me that the devs are targeting a docker solution and I prefer the flexibility of Linux over HassOs.
I was running HA in a venv manual installation but got blindsided by added requirements for zwave that were not mentioned in the release notes.

No, I don’t use HASSIO. I am running normal Home Assistant in Docker on a Linux host. There is nothing about hassio that I want or need.

Thanks – I am interested to learn how to run HA inside a Docker container. If you have instructions how to go about it, I’d appreciate it if you can share that.