HASS.IO - Wifi setup config file

There’s no systems connections file when I open up my SD card where do I find it

i too have the same problem cannot reach my wifi router … i created a folder with system-connections put the file in it without .txt , and i also used the usb trick didnt work???

@Sharqawi … I was having the same problem. Here is the solution thanks to @pingme :

1. Format an USB stick and label it as “CONFIG”
  2. Create a folder “network” on that USB stick and inside this folder create a new file hassos-wifi (with no extension)
  3. Open hassos-wifi file with notepad++ and enter the following:

[connection]
id=hassos-wifi
uuid=72111c67-4a5d-4d5c-925e-f8ee26efb3c3
type=802-11-wireless

[wifi]
mode=infrastructure
ssid=MyWiFi

[wifi-security]
auth-alg=open
key-mgmt=wpa-psk
psk=password

[ipv4]
method=auto

[ipv6]
addr-gen-mode=stable-privacy
method=auto

1. Put the USB stick in RPI and reboot.
  2. You can scan your network and will see that the RPI is connected to the WiFi. At that point, the file gets added to the RPI config and you can remove the USB stick.

Cheers :wink:

6 Likes

pretty much worked !!!

@TofuNinja see my post. It may help you.

That looks like what I did and it didn’t work but I will give it a try again tomorrow. After I couldn’t get it to work I did a Raspbian home assistant install and couldn’t get the auto start thing to work. Will let you how it goes.

Thanks it worked and is up and running. You are the man.

1 Like

I have the same situation here, and I just posted the topic yesterday. But seem there are no reply.

@3TO16 I did what @Danek said to do and it worked for me so I would try that. Good luck!

THX, it works! I can find the IP address now, but there’s another problem comes out that I can’t access the http://hassio.local:8123 or http://myPiAddress:8123 through the browser. Have you faced this problem?

Other than it take long time for everything to boot up no I have not. Maybe try a reboot and wait like 10-15 min before you go to http://hassio.local:8123/. Good luck

1 Like

Thank you very much, you help a lot

Hi, for me USB magig somehow does not work :frowning:
I’ve followed detailed guide here juanmtech but with wifi no way.
If I did it with LAN cable connected, no problem at all :frowning:
But I need wifi connection.

I did what @Danek said to do and it worked for me give that a try.

Is this still true? It seems that the documentation changed:

hassos Documentation network.md

The file is now called “my-network” instead of “hassos-wifi” and the section markers are now [802-11-wireless] instead of just [wifi]?

Why did this change? What’s true now?

It is still true for HassOS-based Hassio. The tweaks were made to hopefully help some users that weren’t getting a connection. “my-network” is only a suggestion, as the name can be anything, and you can have more than one connection file (I use one that contains a wifi config, and one that contains an ethernet config)

But apparently saying “the name can be anything” is more confusing than simply providing a filename. :grinning:

2 Likes

OK so the filename is not relevant, but what about the section heads like [802-11-wireless] or [wifi]? Are they not relevant too and can be chosen freely?

Thanks!
Chris

1 Like

Those are the “tweaks” I referred to previously. Those should remain the same.

Hi, Has someone had to change hassio wifi network after it was installed and running for months, even years? I can’t find the wpa_supplicant file common to all linux OS systems.

How can I change the wireless network once the hassio in running?

Thanks a lot

Hi,

@juan-alvarez-1990, I did! Initially I installed hassio without the optional steps. I wanted to enable the wifi, and yes it is possible even after the installation. To do so, you have to follow the steps that @ Danek wrote. At first it did not work for unknown reason to me. I tried to use the content of hassos-wifi file with the the one you find in the following https://github.com/home-assistant/hassos/blob/dev/Documentation/network.md
Now it works, @Todor_Neykov it works also with WPA2.