HASSOS/HASSIO RPI3 as a wifi Access Point

Hello Gurus!

I’ve been trying all the options I could find (and read) to make my RPI3 running HASSOS as an Access Point.
In a way, making all my end points connect to the RPI3 AP rather than my router AP.

after so many permutations, using all of the above guides… still stuck on NO operational RPI3 AP.

I can confirm,

• the connection config “WIFI_AP_SETTING” is getting copied from the USB,
  • and I can see it in /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/WIFI_AP_SETTING logging in as root
  • running “nmcli con relad”, and also rebooting my RPI3

And still no luck.

I will highly appreciate any help.

cheers
Erick

1 Like

Hassos is not based on resinos, so there is probably no point in using hass.io howtos based on resinos.

Hassos uses NetworkManager to manage network connections, so try googling for setting up an AP using Network Manager.

did that already…

the 3rd bullet point above gave everything related to hassos that i could find…
:sob:

I dumped the whole HASSOS approach, will revisit this once it matured enough.

I went back to the HASSBIAN method where I have full control of the wifi AP setup.
following: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/wireless/access-point.md

AP Happily working now.
Cheers
Erick

What’s the advantage of doing that?

I would have thought that “working” was an advantage.

1 Like

No that’s not what I was asking about.

What’s the advantage of using the Pi as an AP as opposed to your router? They said they wanted all the HA endpoints to use that AP instead of the router. Whats the advantage in doing that? Even if all devices connect to that AP, all traffic still has to be routed thru the router (hence the name :wink:).

Sorry that i missed the point of your question.

Frankly, like you, i fail to see the point of this.

ok… my apologies, i should have more specific on sharing my situation, approach and intention.

BACKGROUND

• I have an OLD house alarm system that I had migrated out from its traditional setup (ADT alarm system), reusing all its peripherals (4x PIR, Alarm Siren, Alarm strobe, backup power supply), and dumping its “brain” HW.

• I ‘created’ an equivalent of “konnected” https://www.home-assistant.io/components/konnected/ to achieve this. (e.g. connecting all of those ‘old’ peripherals to a wifi/ESP8266/arduino module supported by 2 relay drivers for the strobe and siren)

• On top of that, I have multiple house switches converted into “wireless” switches using SONOFF/Tasmota modules.

ISSUE / CONCERNS

• Every time someone accidentally “plays around” with the router (normally me :slight_smile: ), or knocking off the power supply connection (blaming the kids here), my whole wifi dependent services becomes “off-line”
  • My alarm system becomes totally useless so as all of my switches and sensors.
  • plus the indirect exposure of my wifi endpoints should my router security setup gets compromised
  • in addition, i need to make some of the wifi endpoint “behave” as some of them (especially the IPCAM from the east), have back doors that creates “secret” session to the net advertising themselves.

IDEA

• Isolate the WIFI environment for HASS endpoints. moving them away from the MODEM/ROUTER WiFi and utilizing the RPI3 WiFi (hence creating an AP out of it)
    – this way, even though the MAIN ROUTER is down, my HASS supported Security system is still operational
    – also, all of my switches are still working well.
  • This isolation creates a new layer of separation between my endpoints and the internet, network wise, enabling me to create a new subnet, security group, routing rules for the RPI3 AP and Network.

note
I’ve reuse my ADT Security System Cabinet (comes with Backup Power Supply) - so, my RPI3/Security solution is protected from any tampering or electrical disruption.

IMPLEMENTATION

• I took the HASSBIAN approach and all working good… (for now :slight_smile:)
1 Like

Yes, that is a reasonable approach I think. Many people use vlans for separating their IoT devices from the rest of their lan, and indeed the big bad internet.

My router has a similarly dodgy and easy to dislodge wall wart. I am looking at the small dogs here…

Amazing what you can do with a bit of cable tie.

Same problem here.
Is it possible now to do it?
Where can I find a ResinOS based image?

Thanks

@erickjoaquin I have also been trying to use HassOS as an access point with no luck, I’ve resorted to the Hassbian method which works great. Just curious to what Wifi USB dongle you are using? I have a TP-Link TL-WN722N but it only supports 7 clients.

I’d like to bump this discussion up because I’m trying to achieve a similar thing, only the other way round. Please see the illustration below:

So far, I’ve managed to get

• wifi interface to get an IP address from my router and act as primary/default interface - 10.0.1.x
  • DHCP add-on to serve addresses on eth0 (10.0.2.x)
    What I’m missing is a way to route traffic from 10.0.1.x to 10.0.2.x and back so I can get the mqtt stuff going.
    Any ideas how to do that/ why not to do that?
1 Like

I don’t know what that device is second from the left, but it clearly has wired ethernet. So plug it directly into the router, and keep everything on the same subnet.

yes this is the obvious way to go, isn’t it :slight_smile: however it is nowhere near a cat5 wire. so the only way to bring connectivity to it is to use a wireless bridge. I could easily do that with i.e. some old router, but I’d prefer to use the RPi if possible.

Try this for ideas https://www.instructables.com/id/Use-Raspberry-Pi-3-As-Router/

2 Likes

Hi there!

Did you manage your configuration with HASSOS? I want to build something exactly like that.

I was able to do it easily with Home Assistant Core installation but then I lacked add-ons

So I switched to Home Assistant Supervised installation. As long as I would be able to create this set up it turned up to be very slow and unstable on my RaspberryPi 4 (4GB + 64GB Flash). So again it was a no go for me

Now I try to configure this with Home Assistant (HASS.IO) and I’m exactly at the same moment as you are.
I have configure Wi-Fi connection
I have working DHCP server on eth0

I tried configuring it by adding some iptables rules but did not work for me…
I would greatly appreciate any hints on how to accomplish this set up.

PS link provided by @nickrout is great but only for Home Assistant Core and Home Assistant Supervised

PS2 would it be possible to create a bridge interface to link wlan0 and eth0? I was exploring this option but unfortunately didn’t manage to create working configuration files

Hi,
I gave up this approach as it consumed a lot of time and seemed like a dead end. Ended up repurposing an old wifi router to act as the bridge I needed.
Anyway with the changes I see happening in recent versions (and what’s coming up in 0.118) maybe it makes sense or check again.
Good luck with your project!