Hass.io z-wave Aeotec stick 5gen not working

Hi everyone,

here is my first message to the forum, and unfortunately it is a cry for help…

I set up a raspberry pi 3 with hass.io , so far I’ve been able to play with some of the components (especially MQTT) and it seems to be working, except for Z-wave.

I have an Aeotec Stick 5gen into an USB port of the pi, I installed the SSH component and I can see the device using the ssh command

"serial": [
    "/dev/ttyACM0",

So I changed the configuration.yaml

# ZWAVE
zwave:
  usb_path: /dev/ttyACM0

When I restart the PI, I get this error in the log

Log Details (ERROR)
Sun Dec 16 2018 18:26:59 GMT+0100 (CET)

Error setting up entry Z-Wave (import from configuration.yaml) for zwave
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/openzwave/option.py", line 78, in __init__
    raise ZWaveException(u"Can't find device %s : %s" % (device, traceback.format_exception(*sys.exc_info())))
openzwave.object.ZWaveException: "Zwave Generic Exception : Can't find device /zwaveusbstick : ['NoneType: None\\n']"

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/config_entries.py", line 248, in async_setup
    result = await component.async_setup_entry(hass, self)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/zwave/__init__.py", line 283, in async_setup_entry
    config_path=config.get(CONF_CONFIG_PATH))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/openzwave/option.py", line 81, in __init__
    raise ZWaveException(u"Error when retrieving device %s : %s" % (device, traceback.format_exception(*sys.exc_info())))
openzwave.object.ZWaveException: 'Zwave Generic Exception : Error when retrieving device /zwaveusbstick : [\'Traceback (most recent call last):\\n\', \'  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/openzwave/option.py", line 78, in __init__\\n    raise ZWaveException(u"Can\\\'t find device %s : %s" % (device, traceback.format_exception(*sys.exc_info())))\\n\', \'openzwave.object.ZWaveException: "Zwave Generic Exception : Can\\\'t find device /zwaveusbstick : [\\\'NoneType: None\\\\\\\\n\\\']"\\n\']'

Now, I’m not sure where to put my hands here, the serial device is visible and it is the one I put in the configuration file, so after a restart it should work.

Any ideas ?

Thank you all in advance

Claudio
Raspberry PI 3B+
Hass.io 0.83.2

Ok, I’ll reply to myself.

I made a test with a new install, and it now seems to be working.

The initial tests are two-three weeks old, so nothing is certain here, but I may have understood the mistake.

I activatated the zwave component and then I moved to other installs, which means I rebooted a couple of times.

Reading ( more carefully :blush: ) the hass.io pages regarding z-wave it says that the first time the component is installed it can take 30 minutes on a pi;
I guess the reboots during this process aren’t considered best practice :slight_smile:

Ok, so everything seems to be working now, so back to work.

Cheers everyone

Claudio