HASS & Monoprice multi zone amp

Hello everyone.

I just found out about Home Assistant and I got my hardware on the way to get started. So excited!

A question though: Has anyone attempted (most likely) to integrate a Monoprice multi zone amplifier into HASS? And how ‘difficult’ is it to get to work properly selecting the source/ adjusting the volume?

I hear the wall plates become inactive when you switch to another means of controlling the amp. Are the wall plates not usable if you use HA?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

There is a search button you know…

And another one on the integrations page

I have two of these units, works flawless for me. Fully integrated with HA, without any side effects or limitations. And, I use the keyboards as well.

Only thing you will need is a serial cable to the Monoprice from your HA platform. I used it first with a USB to serial cable, since then I dropped the PI for a NUC, which requires just a serial cable.

I have my HASS install recognizing my monoprice amp. But I am not sure how to actually control it.
I have Voluino as my music player and thats working. But how do I control the volume on the amplifier, and select what inputs should go to which outputs?

On the lovelace UI, all I have is a “zone 11” card.

Thank you

same way as you control any media player. https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/media_player/

Thank you.
I have a media player card called Volumio currently. Which is working to control Volmino. Would I install a separate media player card for the monoprice amp?
I added a media player with “zone 11” but there are no controls when I click on it.

Thank you

The monoprice supports:

SUPPORT_SELECT_SOURCE,
SUPPORT_TURN_OFF,
SUPPORT_TURN_ON,
SUPPORT_VOLUME_MUTE,
SUPPORT_VOLUME_SET,
SUPPORT_VOLUME_STEP,

Thank you. So I guess lovelace doesnt discover it automatically. I would need to program it directly.
Do you know of a guide that shows me how to program the card manually so that I can tell put volume controls, power etc…? I really appreciate your help with this.

Thank you

What media_player entities do you have in dev tools|states?

I have these:
Media_player.volumino
media_player.zone_11
media_player.zone_12
media_player.zone_13
media_player.zone_14
media_player.zone_15
media_player.zone_16
media_player.zone_TV

The TV is a chromecast eligible TV. All but the volumino one just show a bar (see attached).

Thank you!

Media players|593x377

click on the 3 dot menu. What do you see then?

Just the zone name (see attached). I also attached a picture of when I click on the gears.

Thank you

m three dots

In the error logs I see:

2020-12-20 20:22:44 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.media_player] Updating monoprice media_player took longer than the scheduled update interval 0:00:10
2020-12-20 20:22:44 WARNING (SyncWorker_6) [homeassistant.components.monoprice.media_player] Could not update zone 15
2020-12-20 20:22:46 WARNING (SyncWorker_6) [homeassistant.components.monoprice.media_player] Could not update zone 16
2020-12-20 20:22:56 WARNING (SyncWorker_1) [homeassistant.components.monoprice.media_player] Could not update zone 11
2020-12-20 20:22:58 WARNING (SyncWorker_3) [homeassistant.components.monoprice.media_player] Could not update zone 12
2020-12-20 20:23:00 WARNING (SyncWorker_9) [homeassistant.components.monoprice.media_player] Could not update zone 13

I am having the same issue with zone status unknown any help please?

I am having the same issue with zone status unknown any help please?

I have the same problem with zone status (Zone 11-16) - unknown.

Who will help the council?

I’ve got the same issue - has anyone found a solution please?

Same here unfortunately! I’m running HA in a VM and I can add the channels / sources but then no option to use them. I’m passing the serial port of a windows machine through to the VM which it recognises.

It has worked before on another HA instance which is strange. Error is ‘Could not update zone…’

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!

So I have got it working using a USB serial cable. From what I can see, the integration adds the media players regardless of whether the amp is visible to HA. I tried this by adding it with the amp off and no cable and it added it! I don’t have time to debug but I would suggest the serial comms are not working and the integration leads you to think it has found the amp (which it hasn’t)

Thanks!

I have the some problem: Could not update zone 13,14,15…
as well as: Error executing script. Unexpected error for call_service at pos 2: Connection timed out! Last received bytes []

What can be the cause?

How to contact the person who has developed this integration? Im willing to enrich this integration with some bass/trebble options etc… thanks