Hass NFC - Control Home Assistant with NFC tags

I’ve just pushed version 1.1.4 to the Play Store. This version fixes the scrolling bug mentioned by @GaryOkie. It also introduces a dark theme! This can be enabled in the settings page. The settings page has also been updated a little with a nicer UI I think.

For those using the older version (beta), not sure if you will get this update as well. I will push the same update to the beta clients as well. But if you want to be on the stable channel you might want to switch to that. I believe you first have to remove the app, and then install it again. Not sure if you also have to unsubscribe from the beta or something. Maybe someone else knows for sure?

1 Like

Ok, will do
Beta user here, and indeed no update

Maybe I was to quick, left beta program, but still see 1.1.2 as latest in app store

I have updated the beta as well. So it should arrive soon. May take a few minutes or hours.

Ok, waiting now… probably I need to configure it again with token, since I uninstalled

Hi Gerben - the app settings/scrolling update works great! I tested both the normal high res mode as well as the reduced res in power savings mode that gave me the trouble before. It’s much easier to read the help at the bottom now.

I do have a few suggestions for further improvement.

• Replace the 8 lines of long lived token with a single line “********” to obscure it after a save. If the api password is also in clear text after a save, obscure it too.
  • The screenshots on Google Play should be updated to reflect the current Hass NFC screens. Since there is limited info on GP on how the app works, these screens are invaluable to show what can be done.
  • Expand the help in the app a bit more - such as describe the notification options. (only vibration was obvious to me)
  • Suggest renaming “toast notification” to “popup notification” instead.
  • Describe in help how to create a long lived token or point to the HA Authentication how to.

Thanks!

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I can make the token and password fields of the type ‘password’ which should make content hidden.

Good point on the screenshots. I’ll have a look on updating them!

The settings can also have a little more explanations added.

Didn’t I add information about the tokens somewhere? I thought I added that, but not sure, but indeed a good idea in simple steps to add that!

How are you guys liking the dark theme btw? :slight_smile:

Good suggestions indeed about hiding the token…

Well, dark theme … I never need the app , once the NFC are ready … :wink:

Hi Gerben, thanks again for all your great support for this app! I was mainly pointing out the little things that tripped me up to make it better for any new users that come along.

I agree with fabio that the dark theme wasn’t all that interesting for an app that runs hidden/in the background 99% of the time. Hey, I was just thrilled to be able to hit “SAVE”! :smile:

Bought it! This works great ib my samsung s8. Any chance this can get released for android 4.4? I have a few samsung s3 I’d like to use it on!

Screenshot_2019-03-12-06-54-13|281x500

Cheers. I believe there was a reason I couldn’t release on there, but I’ll have another look to see if it’s possible.

On a sidenote, I used to have a S3 for some dev fun, and it ran LineageOS with Android 7.1 I believe. Ran a lot smoother and faster than the bloated default 4.4 release. So that would be an option in case I run into limitations, but I’ll let you know when I get some time to check.

Your screenshot doesn’t seem to load for me?

@GaryOkie I’ve updated the store images like you suggested, thanks again. Will work on your other suggestions soon. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It was a screen cap of my about screen with versions if you need it.

I’ve had bad experiences with rooting/ flashing in the past. Maybe it’s time to revisit.

Thx

I’ve just uploaded 1.1.5 in the Play Store. This version plays a sound for both a successful and a failed scan. You can enable it in the settings. The app should also be working on Android 4.4 and higher now. Please keep in mind that the fingerprint mechanism only works from Android 6 and higher. The token and password fields are also no longer readable in settings now.

@tsimons78 I was wondering if you had the chance to try it out on your S3 devices. Let me know if it works :slight_smile:

Would be great if you guys could leave a nice rating/review in the store! :slight_smile:

Hello,
Very good idea @Gerben321.
I just purchased the app, unfortunately, all the tags I have are not writable.
Is there a way to associate the action with a non writable tag?
thanks.

Thanks. Ah that’s too bad! It’s on my list to do actually. An action based on the id of the tag. So you save the data on your phone.

I’ll have to investigate this further. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice!
Looking forward to seeing it in the close future :wink:

I see it, but my S3 is on my “house’s” google account, so I’d have to rebuy it. Before I do that I will swap out the S3 back to my account…

Any chance you can make this app work with Google Family? If my setup works, I’ll end up having to buy it 3 times for 2 people (me, wife, house). …I’ll buy it the second time on the family

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/7007852?hl=en

There’s no option for me to enable/disable that as far as I can see. When I check the store I see it is available for Google Family if it’s bought after 2016. Are you sure your account is coupled to your Family account? Isn’t there a limit or something to it? Not familiar with it.

Is anyone having a problem with their tags? I’m still in a testing phase, so I’m not sure if my problem correlates with the new version 1.1.5. I’m using a Samsung S8 running 8.0.0, it got a security update from Verizon on 3/5

When I scan a tag, I get the android popup “Couldn’t read payload”. I tried re-writing my tag, I tried writing to another tag, same problem.
ScreenCap: Couldn’t read payload

using “NFC Tools” (from Play store) I can read the tag
Screen Cap:NFC Tools

Thanks,
~Todd