Hass NFC - Control Home Assistant with NFC tags

that’s a limitation of Android core, if you root your phone you can have that out, so no need to unlock first

I put it outside as gate opener, plus in the car under the sunscreen: my 433Mhz car gate door opener has limited range, so I pput an ESP8266 connected to HASS, and I use the tag to open it from a distance and when I arrive is wide open, without waiting. I like that a lot.

For other uses you need to be creative, and a lot depends on your routines: think of the everyday routine you have in your life

1 Like

well , i have one in my car, to turn off my alarm, so i dont have to press the keypad anymore

2 Likes

that’s a good one

I really don’t want to root my phone, but I do have a GS8 phone with a fingerprint reader. I see that Gerben has implemented support for it, so I’ll give that a try to see how convenient that is to use.

I also have presence detection for each member of the family working really well (thanks to a custom Life360 component), so things like automatically disarming security (or arming when all are away) works great - and preferable to using NFC tags. The same could be true for automatically opening driveway gates if the zone for the house was large enough.

So now I have an inexpensive NFC tag solution that is looking for a problem where voice commands and presence detection wouldn’t be more applicable. Securely unlocking doors without having to enter a 4 digit passcode is all I can think of doing now.

Thanks all for the input.

@Gerben321 - Your app currently requires the legacy api_password. The docs say this authentication method is now deprecated and will be dropped in the future in favor of long-lived access tokens.

Do you have any short-term plans to update the app to use this new bearer token method?

It already does. :wink:

Check settings and toggle the token option.

Oh - sorry! I was going by the 3rd screenshot for Hass NFC on Google Play, which led me to think this was the only supported auth option.

Thanks very much for the quick reply.

Hi @Gerben321 - sorry to trouble you again, but I’m having trouble getting the app set up. I’ve generated a long-lived token via HA and pasted this very long string into the app. The problem is, that pushes the SAVE button off the bottom of the display and there seems to be no way to scroll down to tap it.

I’ve changed the Android font size to the smallest size possible, but the token input field ignores it. Do you have any workaround for why the app isn’t letting me scroll down to save settings?

Oh damn that’s an ugly problem there. I thought I made the whole screen scrollable, but only the text area beneath save it seems… I’ll work on an update tomorrow. :slight_smile:

Guess I didn’t take smaller resolution screens in account. Only able to test on 2160px and higer, and it was obviously fine there. But should be an easy fix.

Thanks again for your quick response!

There is hardly any room for the important help at the bottom of the screen. I wonder if the Notifications settings should have it’s own section? There could also be additional help for describing what these settings are. For example, I had no idea what a “Toast notification” was until searching the web.

Good point. Maybe I can have multiple blocks/sections (just quickly looked at how the Microsoft To-Do app has this), that looks good to me. Not sure what other apps have a great settings page.

Also now that I open the app again, a dark theme would be great haha.

But I’ll first fix the scrolling easy and add some explanation to things afterwards.

My Samsung Galaxy S8 screen res is 1080x2220 in portrait mode. I may have some other Vision/display setting that enlarges things. (I can’t see too well without glasses). I did try making screen zoom and font size as small as possible, but that made no difference.

Ah right, seems like your DPI is much higher then which results in an effective lower resolution (but still sharp obviously). I’ll look into it! (maybe you can change that in the meanwhile for a quick fix?)

My phone was in power savings mode so it really wasn’t in FHD+ high resolution. It was actually in HD+ m(1480x720) which explains why there was limited real estate on the screen for all the text.

When I went to settings, it said “FHD+ 2220x1080”, but it was grayed out and couldn’t be changed unless power savings was turned off.

So I’m good to go now, but it’s probably a good idea to implement scrolling in the app in case this comes up again.

I’ve just pushed version 1.1.4 to the Play Store. This version fixes the scrolling bug mentioned by @GaryOkie. It also introduces a dark theme! This can be enabled in the settings page. The settings page has also been updated a little with a nicer UI I think.

For those using the older version (beta), not sure if you will get this update as well. I will push the same update to the beta clients as well. But if you want to be on the stable channel you might want to switch to that. I believe you first have to remove the app, and then install it again. Not sure if you also have to unsubscribe from the beta or something. Maybe someone else knows for sure?

1 Like

Ok, will do
Beta user here, and indeed no update

Maybe I was to quick, left beta program, but still see 1.1.2 as latest in app store

I have updated the beta as well. So it should arrive soon. May take a few minutes or hours.

Ok, waiting now… probably I need to configure it again with token, since I uninstalled