HASS on FreeNAS 11.1 - Undefined symbol "fdatasync"

Brand new to Home Assistant, but eager to tinker with it. I am not able to use Recorder, History or Logbook, as the install fails during Recorder.
The error is -
“ERROR (Recorder) [homeassistant.components.recorder] Error during connection setup: /usr/local/lib/libsqlite3.so.0: Undefined symbol “fdatasync” (retrying in 3 seconds)”
It retries a few times then bails and fails.
Home Assistant does run, and I’ve added some things from my house, waiting on Wink credentials, added Nest, Philips Hue, found Rokus and Apple TVs. All in all, I’m looking forward to tinkering, if I can get over the Recorder fail.
Any help would be appreciated.
I don’t have Docker, as noted in a different post by a different poster, there’s just too many layers for my liking. My FreeNAS server is on full time, and the Jails run fine for me, except for this error.

FreeNAS version error. It’s affecting a few other pkg installations as well.
I would think picking a different dB instead of sqlite may fix it.

Got it.

ssh into that jail.
portsnap fetch
portsnap extract
whereis sqlite3
(cd into that directory)
make deinstall
make install clean ALLOW_UNSUPPORTED_SYSTEM=true

reboot the jail from FreeNAS
done.

2 Likes

How did you fix this?

I am getting this error now running FreeNAS 11.1

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/local/share/nzbToMedia/nzbToSickBeard.py”, line 257, in
import nzbToMedia
File “/usr/local/share/nzbToMedia/nzbToMedia.py”, line 573, in
import core
File “/usr/local/share/nzbToMedia/core/init.py”, line 35, in
from core.autoProcess.autoProcessComics import autoProcessComics
File “/usr/local/share/nzbToMedia/core/autoProcess/autoProcessComics.py”, line 7, in
from core.nzbToMediaUtil import convert_to_ascii, remoteDir, server_responding
File “/usr/local/share/nzbToMedia/core/nzbToMediaUtil.py”, line 26, in
from core import logger, nzbToMediaDB
File “/usr/local/share/nzbToMedia/core/nzbToMediaDB.py”, line 6, in
import sqlite3
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/sqlite3/init.py”, line 24, in
from dbapi2 import *
File “/usr/local/lib/python2.7/sqlite3/dbapi2.py”, line 28, in
from _sqlite3 import *
ImportError: /usr/local/lib/libsqlite3.so.0: Undefined symbol “fdatasync”

I gave up after runnng into a whole different error set. I created an Ubuntu VM instead and have followed the basic raspian installation instructions. Working like a charm I think - so much to learn about homeassistant that I only think it’s working properly.

But the VM doesn’t have USB support right? That is the only thing that is holding me from switching to a VM. The zwave usb stick I need for my Home Assistant install.

Thanks this resolved the issue I had after updating my FreeNAS to 11.1 U1. Got errors that sqlite3 was not installed while it was.

I’ve got a Wink hub. Using that I can get at my couple of zwave things.

I’m a bit of a newbie with this setup, but have the exact same issue… I have a new jail running, and have updated it’s packages, nothing else. Haven’t even installed Home Assistant yet. Can you please tell me the exact command to type into the shell of the jail to do this fix? I’d like the Home Assistant install to run properly, as it crashes with SQLITE as described…

My 5 cents: I have followed these instructions for FreeNas and it worked perfectly for me.

Maybe this helps?

I wrote that guide… unfortunately it is now somewhat out dated. I had all these problems myself. I found the solution to be switching to the new iocage jail system that is upcoming in freenas 11.2. It’s fully functional now but requires using the command line to get it up and running as well as all jail management.

I never realized that other guide was actually helpful to anyone. I could update it to reflect changes as well as getting iocage jails up and running

With this guide you saved my life, buddy! Please keep it updated if possible. Didn’t know that FN11.2 creates problems. Will thus remain with v11.0 until I absolutely need to upgrade.

For me it’s a perfect fit to have a home automation system running on a NAS, especially when it’s as flexible as FreeNas is with all the plugins, jails and stuff.

Hey there…

I was researching lots of workarounds and fixes… It seemed to come down to switching everything over to IOCAGE using the command line, but I stopped there. This NAS is a workhorse in the house, and with automated scripts coming in FreeNAS 11.2, I don’t want to risk it to tinkering in the off chance this will work.

I’m curious if anyone knows what specifically changed that made Home Assistant stop working?

Thanks for all the help…

I have time this weekend. I’ll get that guide updated and add the steps to setup iocage all using the command line. I know that “command line” can be intimidating but for those comfortable, you can switch to iocage now. When I switched to Linux it seemed difficult to accomplish some simple tasks… and all kinds of choices for different GUI application to do the same thing. It wasn’t till I got my head around the fact that probably 90% of these GUI applications controlled the same CLI application. Of course I’m generalizing here and I am closer to a noob than I am an expert so please keep this in mind! The point is once I accepted and started to learn even just some basic on the command line I became more comfortable and life in Linux actually got easier! Also Im pleased to say on that command line most of the stuff I learned using Linux still works even on FreeNAS which is based on FreeBSD.
I completely understand not wanting to risk tinkering around on your main server. And I would NOT recommend that either. However I would like to encourage you gain more comfort and understanding on the command line. There are many ways to do this but I will suggest one. VirtualBox.
Even if your not ready to jump in on your main server I would like to suggest you install FreeNAS in a VM using VirtualBox (Don’t worry, its free for personal use) and follow the updated guide. It’s a great way to practice. I created several VMs (But only run one at a time!) and went through setting up iocage and install homeassistant and made sure everything work perfectly before I did this to my main server.
I also understand the command line is not for everyone and in the end you may have already decided to just wait for FreeNAS 11.2. That perfectly fine too! I mean no disrespect. My only intention is to possibly present a way to further your comfort and understanding on the command line.

I just wanted to clarify that FreeNAS 11.2 does not create problems. Heck It’s not even released yet! FreeNAS 11.2 was mentioned because that is the target release i believe that FreeNAS will use the new GUI. At that time also I think that it is scheduled FreeNAS will begin to use iocage and no longer create jails using the warden system in use now. Or put another way, it is my undestanding FreeNAS 11.2 is when you can use iocage from the FreeNAS GUI. If you want to get homeassistant installed using iocage BEFORE FreeNAS 11.2, I recommend using the command line.

On a side note I couldn’t agree more about homeassistant running from FreeNAS. The jails are awesome and pretty easy to use after you’ve done it a few times. In fact My freeNAS is pretty much only a home automation / multimedia hub. I have samba and ssh enabled to allow editing config files and adding new media. Otherwise I have a few read only shares for local media playback over samba. Right now I’m only using the emby plugin. Everything else is in a standard jail. I think I have like 5 or 6 different jails running!

Thanks for working to update the guide…

I’m not afraid of the command line as much as I am a bit anal about the structure of my files and ZVOL’s, etc… For what it’s worth, I’m on 11.1 and if you create a jail using the beta interface it will create an IOCAGE jail and let you select FreeBSD 11.1 as the platform. I did that as a trial run and it seems the Plex Server using WARDEN and the IOCAGE run together simultaneously…

But what a mess IOCAGE made… It made a new ZVOL named “iocage” and sub-zvols for downloaded images, etc… Right now I have a jails folder with one pretty entry under it for the Plex Server. I know it may seem ridiculous, but in the end, I’d like to just have a jails ZVOL with two pretty entries under it when I’m done. LOL

Afterwords, life will be perfect. One adequately powered system doing file and media serving, and running my home automation… One machine doing the whole shebang…

Any ideas about how to tame IOCAGE’s use of your server structure? That would make an anal retentive FreeNAS user very happy. LOL

You nail it. That’s the reason why I love FreenNAS :wink: Let’s keep on rocking!

1 Like

That updated guide can be found here:

2 Likes