HASS OS 6.0 VDI => After Upgrade fails every boot: Failed to start grow file system on /mnt/data

I hooked up the rasp to my monitor - i remembered i ordered a hdmi with micro connector - i think the sd card got corrupted in the process since there is no activity from the drive-led (flashes twice briefly on power-on)… Going to download the qcow2 image and start it on my unraid-rig… i hope my 3 month old full snapshot works - not much changes since then but my node-red tinkering is gone im afraid.

I run the Home Assistant OS VDI in VirtualBox too.

Seems to be the situation where this issue is caused. What would be the next step, raise some bug report on Github?

Get the Google Drive Snapshot addon next time, i’ve got automated backups running every night, and keep one for every week the last four weeks, and one for every month for the last 6 months.

FWIW, there is an issue tracking this error: Failed to start Grow File System on /mnt/data · Issue #1426 · home-assistant/operating-system · GitHub

1 Like

This is not cool -Got the qcow2 image working under kvm (unraid) - All the entities were still in my deconz stick. The 3 month old snapshot I had was usable - The changes that were not on the snapshot are from 2 weeks ago. System is back up and running - i never go back to rasp and I wont recommend it unless you can clone your sd-card easily…

Guy on Github issue posted the fix (reason was corrupted filesystem):

Press <enter> when the system stops during boot
systemctl stop systemd-journald
umount -A /dev/disk/by-label/hassos-data
fsck.ext4 /dev/disk/by-label/hassos-data
Keep pressing <enter> through all the prompts
14 Likes

@Tscherno did that work for you too?

same problem here… those steps solved the issue!
Tks!

Wondering if 6.1 solved the above issues. I’ve held off updating OS on my Pi4b so far…

So something is corrupting the filesystem. Hopefully not a dying ssd/sd.

after updating to 6.1 the haos keeps crashing… omg, have to reinstall again

Dying USV it was. Had some improper shutdowns the last few weeks.

haos 6.X is a disaster… installing 6.1 on a raspberry 4 from scratch doesn’t work too… reverting to 5.13, again…

Updated OS and severely broke HA.

How do you downgrade to 5.13?

installed 5.13 from scratch, restored a snapshot…

1 Like

THIS actually fixed the issue… thank you for the reference !!

Will Never update OS again until I realize it is stable.

4 Likes

I’m having the same issue. I plugged in a monitor and keyboard/mouse to the raspberry pi 4. The output is:

[Failed] Failed to start File System Check on /dev/disk/by-label/hassos-data.
See ‘systemctl status “systemd-fsck@dev-disk-by\x2dlabel-hassos\x2ddata.service”’

Followed by

You are in emergency mode. After logging in, type “journalctl -xb” to view system logs…

The solution from Tscherno didn’t work for me.

When I try:
umount -A /dev/disk/by-label/hassos-data

I get an error “target is busy”

I also tried umount -l /dev/disk/by-label/hassos-data (after remounting read-only, to ensure no files were in use). This succeeded, but then the fsck command failed with “unable to set superblock flags on hassos-data”

I’ve also tried df -h when in this emergency mode and see my usb partition filesystems succesfully mounted (and I can ls the contents). But when I leave emergency mode and finish booting Home Assistant, df -h no longer shows the usb partitions

Is something else then mounted at /mnt/data? Make sure that you only have one partition with the file system label hassos-data.

(I missed posting this as a reply, so retrying, but now getting an error “post is too similar to what you already wrote”)

I have an external usb drive mounted, set up according to:

Note that this does appear to mount the drive to /mnt/data/… see lines:

# Determine the mount point
ENV{mount_point}="/mnt/data/supervisor/media/%E{dir_name}"

# Mount the device on 'add' action (a.k.a. plug the USB drive)
ACTION=="add", RUN{program}+="/usr/bin/mkdir -p %E{mount_point}", RUN{program}+="/usr/bin/systemd-mount --no-block --automount=no --collect $devnode %E{mount_point}"

Is there a workaround for those of us who have usb drives auto mounted with udev?