Hass Phone Control

Hi all,

Some of you may have seen my previous project I started for Home Asisstant: Hass NFC.

I recently got contacted by ralfaro asking if I could make an app that worked the other way around. An app that would make it possible to be controlled by Home Assistant, instead of controlling Home Assistant with your phone.

The use-case was to be able to enable/disable/toggle your Wi-Fi and/or Bluetooth and many other features via Home Assistant. Imagine you would like to enable Bluetooth when you get home so you can track your position indoor, and disable it when you’re not home so you can’t be tracked by others. This example might not be interesting for most, but you can decide what you do with it. Right now you can use the following features:

• Enable/disable/toggle Wi-Fi
  • Enable/disable/toggle Bluetooth
  • Control screen brightness

Sending one of these commands to your device is fairly easy. You can call the notify service with data like this:

- action:
  - data:
      data:      
        actions:
          - action: disable-wifi
          - action: enable-bluetooth
          - action: set-brightness(50)
    service: notify.hasscontrol

This is just a snippet of the automation you should create. You can use it in any kind of automation. Think of zone automations, or anything else Home Assistant can trigger.

Right now it’s just a proof of concept app, and it requires some configuration on the end of the user. You have to create an account at Google Firebase (to get a key to send Push Notifications with), and have to create a Long Lived Token for in the app. The positive thing is that your Home Assistant doesn’t have to be exposed to the outside world though. So this might be a bit difficult for some users.

Right now this topic is meant to gather some interest in it. Right now only me and ralfaro are using it. We both think it works great, and maybe other people are interested in this as well. If you would like to help test let me know. I could give you a free key for testing (the idea is to charger .99 cents if the app is released).

Let me know what you think about it!

5 Likes

I’d be interested .

This sounds awesome! Do you have anything somewhere for folks to check out?

For sure. I’ve recently uploaded it to the Play Store. If you PM me your email you use on Android I can add you to the beta list.

Sounds like fun! I’d like to test

Send me a PM with your email you use on Android and I’ll send you a PM :slight_smile:

Super interested ! Any news on the project ? Thx

An interesting idea that would interest me.
Yes, I would be interested in using it.

Thanks for the interest guys. It does still work, but I haven’t found any time at all to improve how this works. It can be cumbersome to set it up since it has to be able to send push notifications. I might have to see if it’s possible to make this a bit easier.

Hey Would it be possible to have a beta key plz?
(It says I can’t send you a private message)

I was looking for this a long time. I can be a tester if you want.

Curious if there is any progress on this; I think a lot of people would be interested in it ( at the bare minimum me!)

The official companion app has support for some of these features.

@dshokouhi or @Gerben321

I’m looking for a service to enable Bluetooth tethering… Is this possible with your apps?

Before I used tasker todo it… But since android 11, something changed in API, so lots of tools are broken now