HASS-RS: Service calls with auotmatic retries

Sometimes service calls don’t work, sometimes the light doesn’t go on, when zwave messages get RF corrupted they don’t retry, when internet service have glitches they don’t retry. Sometime it seems like it is taking longer, how much longer?

Now there is a better way, introducing my latest project “RS - Reliable Services for HASS”
Version 0.0.1 is available and supports switch, fan and climate methods. Give it a try. Help appreciated.

I have spent alot of time putting retry loops into automations - turn on switch, did switch turn on?, try again.

The current state is ready for “power users”, you’ll need some Linux shell scripting ability and have a modularized Ha deployment (packages, scripts folder)

2 Likes

Interesting.

I’ve been running the script version for a couple of weeks. I’m now working on a python version so it will plug in like a standard custom component. That development branch is here. Functionally it should support any service call with any parameters through JSON config. It does not have the metrics integrated yet.

Audience: dev preview

1 Like

Some interesting data and since I just started collecting it - I don’t know if this is unusual or this is behavior my system has always had. #configuration:zwave

I run zwavejs and do automation to manage thermostat setpoints. I try to coordinate zones, so if one zone comes on and another zone will be in demand soon, I bump the setpoint up to make it go on now and minimize furnace cycles.

The graph show that starting last night about midnight the rs durations (elapsed time between issuing service call and device reporting changed state - in this case the thermostat setpoint) became substantially longer than they had been. The only difference last night was it was actually cold out and the furnace was running much more. Be interested if anyone else is seeing similar behavior.

Update: I’ve analyzed the zwave logs and the slowdown is not on the zwave network. My system is also issuing a setpoint to Nest at the same time, from what I can tell this cause a 500ms delay in HASS doing anything

1 Like