HASS sprinkler

Hi Ronvl,
Suspect that Im getting the below errors due to the now function change.
Can you help identify which of the now statements need changing? Below is an example of a few instances I have found - unsure which examples need changing.

{% set runDate = ((as_timestamp(now) + (86400 * Days)) | timestamp_local) %} snip {% if states.sensor.starttime_valve_1.state < now.time().strftime("%H:%M") %} snip value_template: "{% if states.switch.valve_1.state == 'on'%}Opened {{((as_timestamp(now) - as_timestamp(states.switch.valve_1.last_changed)) / 60) | round(0) }} minutes ago{% else %}Closed{% endif %}" snip {% set weekday = weekdayList[(now.weekday()+ Days)] %}

Currently getting a couple errors in the log file on 0.30.2.

16-10-14 23:55:44 homeassistant.components.sensor.template: UndefinedError: ‘function object’ has no attribute ‘weekday’
16-10-14 23:55:44 homeassistant.components.sensor.template: UndefinedError: ‘None’ has no attribute ‘last_changed’

I’m not near HASS at the moment but it looks like you have two times as_timestamp(now) that need to be changed to as_timestamp(now()) I believe. You can test it via the developer tools under Templates, just past it in there there … way easier than starting the HASS every time :slight_smile:

Can check it later this weekend if it not works

Thanks, its working.

Please be aware that the Status that shows how long the Valve is open is not working anymore since 29.5…
See:

If you follow the links to the PR you will find a work around that I haven’t tested yet… as it is authum here in Germany and getting below zero at night the sprinkler is currently not installed :slight_smile:

I noticed that if i restart hass the parameters i set are not saved and rolls back to default.
For example the select sensor returns back to its default which is None.
Also the time and duration is reset to default.

Is this normal or did i do something wrong?

Yep normal behavior of HASS at the moment.
See Ability for input_boolean, input_select and input_slider to retain values over a restart

Instead of automation with slide bars for,hour and minute and days, I moved my logic to be control with a google calendar with the latest release.

My sensor Based on the calendar searches for Bed 1, which is my sprinkler in one of my raised bed, it uses the state = on to turn it off, but I still set the off with a timer set with a slider and a Mqtt command

Hi guys,
I’ve used a line from the code above:

last_run_valve_1:
friendly_name: ‘Last Run’
entity_id: switch.valve_1
value_template: “{{states.switch.valve_1.last_changed.strftime(’%a’)}}, {{states.switch.valve_1.last_changed.strftime(’%d-%m-%Y’)}}”

to create a sensor for when I last ran the sprinkler automation. The issue I’m having is the time here isn’t my “local” timezone it’s the UTC timezone that home assistant runs everything with in the background. How can i translate to my local time with the strftime?

Hey Guys,
did someone got an answer for this error?

17-01-25 15:17:45 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.sensor.template] UndefinedError: 'function object' has no attribute 'weekday'

I get this error every time now.weekday() is called.

Greets Julian

@thejacko12354 that code is a bit old and now.weekday() is replaced by now().weekday(). have a search on the release notes as there were a few changes since

@ronvl yeah i found that error.
Now I’m stuck with the next one…
If I set a day, I get this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/asyncio/tasks.py", line 239, in _step
    result = coro.send(None)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant-0.36.0.dev0-py3.5.egg/homeassistant/helpers/entity.py", line 212, in async_update_ha_state
    yield from self.async_update()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/asyncio/coroutines.py", line 206, in coro
    res = func(*args, **kw)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant-0.36.0.dev0-py3.5.egg/homeassistant/components/sensor/template.py", line 114, in async_update
    self._state = self._template.async_render()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant-0.36.0.dev0-py3.5.egg/homeassistant/helpers/template.py", line 99, in async_render
    return self._compiled.render(kwargs).strip()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/jinja2/environment.py", line 989, in render
    return self.environment.handle_exception(exc_info, True)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/jinja2/environment.py", line 754, in handle_exception
    reraise(exc_type, exc_value, tb)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/jinja2/_compat.py", line 37, in reraise
    raise value.with_traceback(tb)
  File "<template>", line 66, in top-level template code
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/jinja2/sandbox.py", line 355, in call
    return __context.call(__obj, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.5/site-packages/homeassistant-0.36.0.dev0-py3.5.egg/homeassistant/util/dt.py", line 79, in as_timestamp
    raise ValueError("not a valid date/time.")
ValueError: not a valid date/time.

Have a look as this is my latest code that is still working :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

next_run_valve_1:
     friendly_name: 'Next Run'
     entity_id:
       - input_slider.valve_1_hour
       - input_slider.valve_1_minutes
       - input_select.valve_1_schedule
       - switch.valve_1
     value_template: >
        {# runDay set to 9 = Not Set #}
        {% set runDay = 9 |int %}
        {# Set todays day #}
        {% set currentDay = now().weekday() |int %}
        {%- macro monthu() -%}
            {%- if currentDay == 0 -%}
                {{0}}  
            {%- elif  currentDay <= 3 -%}
                {{3}}
            {%- else -%}	
                {{0}}
            {%- endif -%}
        {%- endmacro -%}
        {%- macro monwedfrisun() -%}
            {%- if currentDay == 0 -%}
                {{0}}  
            {%- elif  currentDay <= 2 -%}
                {{2}}
            {%- elif  currentDay <= 4 -%}
                {{4}}
            {%- elif  currentDay <= 6 -%}
                {{6}}	
            {%- endif -%}
        {%- endmacro -%}
        {# set configured runDay from input_select #}
        {% if states.input_select.valve_1_schedule.state == "Monday" %}
            {% set runDay = 0 |int %}
        {% elif states.input_select.valve_1_schedule.state == "Tuesday" %}
            {% set runDay = 1 |int %}
        {% elif states.input_select.valve_1_schedule.state == "Wednesday" %}
            {% set runDay = 2 |int %}
        {% elif states.input_select.valve_1_schedule.state == "Thursday" %}
            {% set runDay = 3 |int %}
        {% elif states.input_select.valve_1_schedule.state == "Friday" %}
            {% set runDay = 4 |int %}
        {% elif states.input_select.valve_1_schedule.state == "Saturday" %}
            {% set runDay = 5 |int %}
        {% elif states.input_select.valve_1_schedule.state == "Sunday" %}
            {% set runDay = 6 |int %}
        {% elif states.input_select.valve_1_schedule.state == "Mon/Thu" %}
            {% set runDay = monthu() |int -%}
        {% elif states.input_select.valve_1_schedule.state == "Mon/Wed/Fri/Sun" %}
            {% set runDay = monwedfrisun() |int %}  
        {% elif states.input_select.valve_1_schedule.state == "Every Day" %}
            {% set runDay = currentDay |int %}     
        {% endif %} 
        {# determine the next runday #}
        {% if runDay == 9 %}
            {# schedule not active #}
            {% set runDate = "Not set" %}
        {% else %}
            {# schedule is active so determine next run #}
            {# first check if runDay = today #}
            {% if currentDay == runDay %}
                {# are we passed the scheduled time? #}
                {% if states.sensor.starttime_valve_1.state < now().time().strftime("%H:%M") %}
                    {# than we need to fake tomorrow #}
                    {% set currentDay = (currentDay + 1) |int %}
                    {# and calculate new runDay in case we have a list of multiple run days in in a week #}
                    {% if states.input_select.valve_1_schedule.state == "Mon/Thu" %}
                        {% set runDay = monthu() |int -%}
                    {% elif states.input_select.valve_1_schedule.state == "Mon/Wed/Fri/Sun" %}
                        {% set runDay = monwedfrisun() |int %} 
                    {% elif states.input_select.valve_1_schedule.state == "Every Day" %}
                        {% set runDay = currentDay |int %} 
                    {% endif %}
                {% endif %}
            {% endif %}
            {# Now we can determine next runDate base on now().weekday() and not currentDay as that can be set to fake tomorrow #}	
            {% if currentDay <= runDay %}
                {% set Days = runDay - now().weekday() |int %}
            {% else %}
                {% set Days = runDay + 7 - now().weekday() |int %}
            {% endif %}
            {% set runDate = ((as_timestamp(now()) + (86400 * Days)) | timestamp_local) %}
            {# we also want to show the weekday of the next date #}
            {% set weekdayList = ["Mon", "Tue", "Wed", "Thu", "Fri", "Sat", "Sun"] %}
            {% if now().weekday()+ Days < 7 %}
                {% set weekday = weekdayList[(now().weekday()+ Days)] %}
            {% else %}
                {% set weekday = weekdayList[(now().weekday()+ Days)- 7] %}
            {% endif %} 
        {% endif %}
        {# all done #}
        {# set states.sensor.next_run_date_valve_1.state = runDate #}
        {% if runDay == 9 %}
            {# schedule not active #}
            {{runDate}}
        {% else %}  
            {{weekday}}, {{runDate[8:10]}}-{{runDate[5:7]}}-{{runDate[0:4]}} at {{states.sensor.starttime_valve_1.state}}
        {% endif %}
1 Like

Hi @ronvl, I copied some of your code a while back and was never able to get it to work properly. I read that home assistant does all of it’s time calculations at timezone +0 GMT and then converts it to your local time after when displaying on the UI. The problem I’m having is getting the following to not use the internal time and use my local time when displaying on the sensor. I’m in timezone +8 so it always displays 8 hours behind. If you can help that would be much appreciated!

sensor:
      - platform: template
    sensors:
      sprinklers_last_run:
        friendly_name: 'Last Run'
        entity_id: script.run_all_sprinklers
        value_template: "{{states.script.run_all_sprinklers.last_changed.strftime('%a')}}, {{states.script.run_all_sprinklers.last_changed.strftime('%d-%m')}} at {{states.script.run_all_sprinklers.last_changed.strftime('%H:%M:%S')}}"

I see you added the time as well as I don’t have that in my display. But try to use the filter timestamp_local see https://home-assistant.io/topics/templating/

so {{states.script.run_all_sprinklers.last_changed.strftime(’%H:%M:%S’) | timestamp_local}}

Try first in the developer tools if that makes a difference

also did you set the correct time zone in your hass config?

Pick yours from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tz_database_time_zones

time_zone: Europe/Berlin

Can you run the following in developer tools and share the output:

1. ‘{{ (now().strftime("%s") | int | timestamp_custom("%H:%M %z%Z")) }}’
  2. ‘{{ (now().strftime("%s") | int | timestamp_local()) }}’
  3. ‘{{ (now().strftime("%Z") ) }}’
  4. {{ now().strftime("%s") | int | timestamp_utc }}
  5. {{now().strftime("%H:%M")}}

Thanks for the reply @ronvl !

The timestamp_local doesn’t appear to make any difference:

sensor:
  - platform: template
    sensors:
      sprinklers_last_run:
        friendly_name: 'Last Run'
        entity_id: script.run_all_sprinklers
        value_template: "{{states.script.run_all_sprinklers.last_changed.time().strftime('%a') | timestamp_local}}, {{states.script.run_all_sprinklers.last_changed.time().strftime('%d-%m') | timestamp_local}} at {{states.script.run_all_sprinklers.last_changed.time().strftime('%H:%M:%S') | timestamp_local}}"

I definitely have the right timezone set in the configuration.yaml:
time_zone: Australia/Perth

I can also see the timezone changes working for other sensors when tailing the log file:

INFO:homeassistant.core:Bus:Handling <Event state_changed[L]: new_state=<state sensor.since_last_boot=5 days, 2:31:55.913602; icon=mdi:clock, friendly_name=Since Last Boot @ 2017-01-31T17:50:17.936740+08:00>, entity_id=sensor.since_last_boot, old_state=<state sensor.since_last_boot=5 days, 2:31:24.863087; icon=mdi:clock, friendly_name=Since Last Boot @ 2017-01-31T17:49:46.874592+08:00>>

I don’t know how to run those in developer tools, what Domain and Service do i use? I’m assuming that list is supposed to go under the Service Data (JSON, optional)?

Hi ronvl!

Thank you so much for this amazing automation.

Im using Home Assistant 0.36.1 and have some problems in trigger part of your automation script.
Can you plase help? Id appreciate it very much.

this part of automation actually gets nothing triggered:

- alias: "Turn on valve based on schedule"
  trigger:
    platform: template
    value_template: >
      {{ states.sensor.starttime_valve_1.state == now().time().strftime("%H:%M") }}

input sliders set variables:

INFO:homeassistant.core:Bus:Handling <Event state_changed[L]: old_state=<state sensor.next_run_valve_1=Fri, 03-02-2017 at 15:40; icon=mdi:calendar-clock, friendly_name=Next Run @ 2017-02-03T08:43:55.094526+01:00>, entity_id=sensor.next_run_valve_1, new_state=<state sensor.next_run_valve_1=Fri, 10-02-2017 at 08:40; icon=mdi:calendar-clock, friendly_name=Next Run @ 2017-02-03T08:44:03.580557+01:00>>
INFO:homeassistant.core:Bus:Handling <Event state_changed[L]: old_state=<state sensor.starttime_valve_1=08:40; icon=mdi:clock, friendly_name=Start Time @ 2017-02-03T08:44:00.373083+01:00>, entity_id=sensor.starttime_valve_1, new_state=<state sensor.starttime_valve_1=08:45; icon=mdi:clock, friendly_name=Start Time @ 2017-02-03T08:44:03.600672+01:00>>

but nothing triggers event

nwm. got it working by adding sensor.time and changing trigger to

trigger:
    platform: template
    value_template: '{{ states.sensor.time.state == states.sensor.starttime_valve_1.state }}'
1 Like

Nice project!

I’m starting to think about a garden project ready for the summer. At the moment I have no hardware for the garden at all but I have experience with ESP8266/Arduino (currently using some for PIR/Temp Sensors in HASS).

If you were to start from scratch, what hardware would you use? At the moment I have an outside tap and a water butt and NOTHING else. Would be interested to hear what people would recommend.

What I’d like to do is… water my veg patch, borders and grass.

I’m using Dark Sky to predict weather in HASS today. And I have a weather station linked to Wunderground which is then imported into HASS for live weather of my garden also (temp, wind direction, speed and rain)

Cheers! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Working on same. Got a LinkNode R4 controlled by HA/MQTT but would like to see HA code for nice UI to set and run an irrigation schedule.
Did you finish your project?
Any chance of sharing on GitHub?