Hassbian Install from USB to M2.SSD

Hey guys and gals. I have a NUC that has been collecting dust and I want to put Home Assistant on it. I want to go with Hassbian or a raspbian + AIO but I can’t find a way to install from a USB flash drive. Maybe I am just overlooking something when I searched for the past few hours but all I find are bootable images and that would end up with me booting from the USB not the M2 840 EVO I have in the NUC. Any help is greatly appreciated.

NUC maybe better using docker + homeassistant
not sure if raspbian run on NUC

Set the boot disk in BIOS.
Power up the NUC and select the ‘F2 - Enter Setup’ option when it is displayed.

only necessary to install OS onto USB flash and set NUC to boot from that drive. In case of raspbian just image usb with raspbian image same as SD card. If you want to install OS like debian you may create usb installer and use that for boot and install OS onto usb

Hassibian and Raspbian are specific to the arm based processors on the Raspberry Pi. I very much doubt they will run on the NUC, which I think has an Intel based processor.

As was said before, a docker based installation is probably what you want.

@gpbenton you’re right
Don’t even try to install hassbian on a NUC
But you can very well use Debian or Ubuntu or whatever OS you like, put it on there and just install HASS on top of that.
There is no All in One installer for that but when using one of the aforementioned OS’s you are good to go to use this step by step manual

You know, I never even thought about that fact that they were arm based… I had hassio running on it but was having some minor issues with it so figured I would try another install method before I got too deep into all the configuration.

I’ll look into installing Debian. Should I go with Jessie or the latest stretch?

Well, as Debian focuses on reliability stretch should be fine and will besupported for a few years, so my choice would be stretch

1 Like

Thanks. I ended up going with stretch. I have it all up and running and configuring different parts. Excited to see what I can accomplish with this.