HassIO addon for qwikswitch

Hi @TheTWIGS

From the addon logs I can see that it has started successfully and you have two devices defined (Study and Upstairs passage).
The open web ui may or may not work from the link, this depends on your setup and where you access your setup from. To be sure, open web browser and navigate to homeassistantIP@:2020 within same network.
This should open the QSUSB web page and you should see your relays and be able to switch on//off etc.

Anyhow since you have the devices added, you can double check that they are discovered by homeassistant it self by heading to sidebar Configuration->Entities and search for Study or Upstairs and you should get your devices if properly discovered by homeassistant.

If above ok, you probably just need to add the switches to your UI. Head to Sidebar Overview and select the three dots top right to edit dashboard and once in edit, select the three dots again and select Unused entities. This will bring a list of entities that are not part of your dashboard and you select the switches/relays from the list and add them to your UI in a card of choice.

HTH

Hi @nleroux - are you still around?
With Android 14 One UI 6.1 on Samsung devices, the Playstore no longer allows new installations of the Qwikwitch Playstore app, reporting that the app is outdated and unsupported. This is a major catastrophe for me, as QS devices control all the lights and plugs at my holiday home. (I contacted QS about the issue and got a response that they are looking at updating the QS app but are unable to provide a timeline.) As a workaround, I hope that I’ll be able to use HA to control the QS devices. It would, in any event, be fantastic if I could integrate the QS devices into HA.
I’m running HA OS on a Raspberry Pi. I have a QS USB hub. Will HA automatically pick up the QS USB hub when I plug it into the R-Pi? (I’m a tinkerer who knows nothing about linux - getting HA running on the R-Pi was a major accomplishment).
I also have the wifi-bridge. Has anyone got around to coding an add-on for the wifi-bridge?
Thank you

Hi there,
The add-on will allow QS devices to be discovered in HA and be controlled via the QS USB hub but only if your HA is running 32bit. The lack of 64bit support for QS USB hub would mean with recent HomeAssistant running 64bit leave you out in the cold. I am currently running QS USB hub on stanalone 32bit RPI and Homeassistant on its own RPI running 64bit. No need for the addon since QwikSwitch QSUSB - Home Assistant supports this and you only need to point your configuration.yaml file to your QS USB URL.

Sorry not looked into wifi-bridge.

HTH

Thanks Nardus.
I suppose I’m out of luck looking at this?

I’m getting the horrible feeling that I’ll have to replace all the QS equipment. The problem is that devices added with later additions to the house are not wired for physical switches. So far, I’ve not found a solution that uses wireless switches like QS.
QS’s lack of support/development will surely lead to the system’s demise. It is difficult to understand that the company fails to realise that.

I have a few QS receivers as well. 8x… (just moved into the house)
No Wired cable to light switches.
I have a QS WIFI Bridge… Alas , need a few of them to get to all my receivers.
Is there a way to get this into HA. API key? etc
Lack of this basic feature will be the demise of QS.
Sorry for venting. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nardus
The more I read, the less I understand. So sorry if the questions below are stupid.
Do I understand correctly that you run 32 bit HOAS on a R-Pi 3 with the QS-USB connected to it? The add-on is used on that Pi to discover the devices, which are then shared with the main instance of HA. Or is the only purpose for running the R-Pi3 to connect and make the QS-USB available on the network? I.e., you don’t need an R-Pi3 running HA, and one could use a Windows PC or a NAS able to share the QS-USB as well.
The add-on, in other words, runs on the 64-bit version of HAOS; the problem is the QS-USB is not working on an OS not supporting 32-bit stuff.
Thank you.

Edit: I found the following in a zip file with the installation files and instructions for the QS-USB on Linux on the Qwikswitch website:
QSUSB on linux
Tested on Ubuntu 10.10 - 12.04 Server/Desktop

1. Unzip files to a folder eg. /home/user/qsusb*
      2. run “sudo cp z010_mchp_tools.rules /etc/udev/rules.d” (no quotes)
      3. Plug in QwikSwitch USB modem
      4. Run qsusb bin file(if 64 bit system doesnt run qsusb then try qsusb64)
      5. Open Web Browser to http://127.0.0.1:2020

Does this tell you anything? (Sorry, I’m clutching at straws here.)

Hi Hendre,

Maybe some clarifications. Add-ons are typically Docker containers that provide additional capability within HA that other bits of software typically perform. Normally the software can also be hosted on another machine.
The add-on provides benefit that another machine is not required but runs on same HA platform.
The add-on GitHub - nardusleroux/hassio-qsusb: qsusb addon for hass.io will do just that. It will allow that QS-USB modem can be plugged into HA platform and the software can be run on the HA platform. Now this of course is where the 32bit/64bit part comes in. Since Qwikswitch has not provided 64bit software for QSUSB and HA runs mostly 64bit we need to move back to the old way of doing things (running a 32bit platform where QSUSB modem is plugged in and QSUSB software runs).

HA has Qwikswitch integration QwikSwitch QSUSB - Home Assistant build in as part of core. This allow HA to simply be point to the QSUSB IP@ and the switches/relays can be discovered. This means that you still need to have a platform that runs QSUSB software and where the QSUSB modem is connected to.

So you would need the Qwikswitch integration in HA and you would need a working QSUSB modem connected to a platform where the QSUSB software is running. What you reference above is QSUSB software running on Linux platform and QSUSB modem should be connected to it. You will in HA point to this Linux platform IP@. Qwikswitch used to provide Windows/Linux/RPI QSUSB software so any of those platforms as long as you comply to their requirements.

HTH

1 Like

Hi there, sorry not looked at QS WIFI bridge at all since openness is not something high on their priority.

Thank you, Nardus. It is very kind of you to answer in such detail.

It’s a worry that QS is so disinterested in supporting the system. Funny that they posted on X today that they “are here to stay”.

Another worry is that if the QS-USB fails, we’re completely stuck. I’ve been looking to buy a second-hand unit to keep as backup for months without any luck.