Hassio Crashing (connection lost)

Been trying for three weeks to figure out why my Hassio instance crashes multiple times a day. I’m running it in a ubuntu virtual box on a windows 10 computer. I’ve removed all custom components recreated the virtual machine numerous times using different static ips. The logs get cleared each time the connection is lost so I don’t have a clue what’s going on. If I can’t get this working I might have to try Openhab or some other solution. Thanks for any insight.

Have you got an other machine you can run on other than a VM in W10?

I have a raspberry pi but I moved from that because it would also crash although not nearly as much. Hassio was working for months on windows but stopped. Is there another option like a NUC or some other hardware that is better ?

IMO a Windows machine is an even worse option than a Pi, others will disagree. If you have a spare SSD laying about, you could SSD boot if your Pi is a 3 or 4 and that will work very well. This shows some known working SSD adapters that will work with a Pi3/4.

Any old PC or laptop (within reason) can also be used, or if you want to spend money on a NUC, you could do that as well, but it’s unnecessary for most use cases.

Also, Hass.io no longer exists.

More correctly it’s been renamed to Home Assistant (Installed using either Home Assistant OS or Home Assistant Supervised)

Any suggestions regarding possible connection problems? The VM is assigned a static IP address and the network has not gone down but I’ll receive a “connection lost reconnecting” message sometimes twice a day.

My iPhone does that as well. Is it version 0.112? It does shutdown the server connection if idle… Is it actually causing any problem? Do automations etc still work normally?

EDIT: Oh I see it’s actually crashing…

yes version 0.112. and no everything stops working. The IP assigned no longer appears as a client in the router, it’s truly dropping but I don’t know why. I’ve disabled windows updates, and power options on the windows machine. Just a few minutes ago the antivirus added the virtual box application to the “safe” list . Maybe that was it but I doubt it.

crashed again. Could it be mdns? I changed the MDNS setting on the router a while back but I believe everything worked afterwards?