Hassio doesnt start with last update!

I followed your instructions and it works again.
But we need to know what is wrong with last update.
Can we apply it sometime soon?

So? Any thoughts?
I guess it is not normal to brick so many devices by an update.

devs more or less have answered in release thread that they are not gonna support ssd boot. They fave vslid reasons too.
Instead they encourage to use sd boot with data moved to ssd.
IMO they will promote this way, intentionally or not leaving us with decission to change approach to only proper one, or risk reliability of our installations

OK. But my setup is on SD card. Nothing to be related to SSD boot. And my system like others was bricked by this update.

1 Like

My Raspberry Pi 4 (2GB) also won’t boot after attempting the OS update. Fairly standard setup using SD card as boot. Tried multiple boot attempts with no success. Waiting for some more suggestions…

Also dead Home assistant here. Pi4 4Gb boot from SSD. Everything seem to be fine right after the update but it died at some time during the night.

After five or six hard boots I managed to bring it back to life.

Very strange indications. They sure need some explanations.

same here, update without problem from 118.5 (VM proxmox) and this night for no reason HA died, the CPU was used at 45% while normally HA uses 5%, after two reboots of the VM HA left but can this still happen for no reason?

My was up maybe half an hour after I managed to get it running again.
I once again hard booted Pi, restored 118.5 snapshot. After that was up and running I downgraded to 5.6 via terminal: ha os update --version=5.6
Not sure if this is smart, but lets see… At least it rebooted ok.

My Pi 4B struggles as well after the update to 5.8. I boot from an SD card.

I wonder if this may have to do with powered USB devices. Maybe the people not having troubles with their SSDs are using non powered ones?

My Pi doesn’t start with a powered USB hub nor a powered Rflink. But as soon as nothing is powered, it boots.

This seems to be a bug with the Pi4: https://medium.com/for-linux-users/why-your-raspberry-pi-4-wont-boot-3d93e629acea

Maybe this bug was introduced with 5.8?

I have no USB devices plugged into my Pi 4 and it still won’t boot after the update!

1 Like

Weird. My Pi stopped booting after the update.
I now put a passive hub (non powered) between the Pi and the powered hub (with all the devices) and it booted without a problem. Remains to be seen if it crashes again but it booted at least.

Check the power supply you have. I had it working over POE and now, after the update, its no longer allowing it to boot properly (and also caused drive corruption!)

Not sure if this is related to the issues others are having but after updating I’ve been wrestling with this for a few days now. I have managed to restore from a backup back to 0.118.4. But my RPi thinks it’s the 12th of September 2020 today. That in turn I think is messing with the various connections to other services (Nest, Meross, Nabu Casa, Google Calendar). Before reverting to 0.118.4 I was able to get it to boot sometimes, it took a while to get the front-end up and within about 5 minutes would fall over. In the small window when I could access the front end I noticed all the addons were switched off but I was able to switch on Samba share manually. It took a couple of go’s at restoring from the backup before it took at all but has now been up for about 12 hours, albeit still thinking it’s three months ago.

Well, it crashed again. It is very unstable. I also noticed addons being switched off.

I have another Pi 4 and tested the SD card with it. It first booted with the powered hub connected but just the first time. Now both Pi4 I have won’t boot with the powered hub connected. It seems like the update does something to the Pi’s boot behavior.

Don’t you think devs should tell us what is happening?

I’ve got this error while trying to update on my Pi4:

20-12-17 10:40:02 ERROR (SyncWorker_0) [supervisor.docker.interface] Can't install homeassistant/raspberrypi4-homeassistant:2020.12.1 -> 500 Server Error for http+docker://localhost/v1.40/images/create?tag=2020.12.1&fromImage=homeassistant%2Fraspberrypi4-homeassistant: Internal Server Error ("Get "https://registry-1.docker.io/v2/": context deadline exceeded (Client.Timeout exceeded while awaiting headers)").

For those of you struggling with USB after the latest update, it is due to the latest eeprom firmware on the pi, not HA.

I had lots of issues but now back to normal, this is what worked for me…

1st I had to update the firmware of my USB controller, to one that supports NO_UAS. Then I had to boot the pi and unplug/plug the drive and it would boot.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=294557

Finally, I fixed this by editing the eeprom with the following command…

USB_MSD_PWR_OFF_TIME=0

1 Like

Is the USB controller on the Pi4? Or is it part of the SSD?

I managed to get Home assistant working for over 12 hours. Then I connected a Conbee II and 5 minutes later Home assistant stopped responding. Also after a restart, Home Assistant crashed again. I think this has something to do with USB devices.