Hassio in a Docker on Ubuntu VPS – possible to detect Google Home Mini on home network?

Let me start by saying that I know very little about most of this stuff, but enough to probably be pretty dangerous. So bear that in mind while reading the following.

I have a droplet on DigitalOcean where I set up a Docker with Hassio + Home Assistant. It seems to be all set up correctly, as I can access the Home Assistant interface via my web browser. But when I go to Configuration -> Integrations and attempt to configure Google Cast for my Google Home Mini, I get the “No Google Cast devices found on the network.” error message.

I’m guessing that’s because the Google Home Mini is connected to my home network and in no way connected to my VPS – is that correct? And does anyone have any recommendation of how to get the Google Home Mini to be recognized?

I’m not sure if it would have worked with IPv4 anyway, but port forwarding from my router is limited to IPv6.

Thanks a ton in advance for any insight that anyone can provide.

Hey all, just wanted to quickly follow up on this and see if anyone has any tips. Thanks!

This would be expected, since they are not even close to the same network.

Yes

No

This isn’t going to work, by the way, unless you either
A. use nothing but cloud devices
B. open up every port into your network to control your devices
C. learn how to set up a VPN and understand networking

Thank you for the reply – I appreciate it.