Hassio instalaltion Wifi configuration

Good point @nickrout, but in my situation I don’t always have direct access to the router.

My pi is hooked up to a monitor which is how I’m able to view logs, and it doesn’t look like it’s accepting input. How would I be able to log in manually? Also how can I ssh into hassos if my pi isn’t connecting to the wifi, and what would the username / password be if I was connected via ethernet?

To log in from attached monitor/keyboard: press enter on the keyboard. You should get a prompt

Welcome to Hassos
hassos login:

login with root, no password required. You should now be at the hassos shell with

hassio>

as the prompt. To get a root shell type

login

As for networking, are you telling me you have no wired ethernet at all in your home?

2 Likes

the prompt I’m getting is actually HassOS>, don’t know if that makes a difference or not

when I try the login command it can’t find it, that command doesn’t appear under ‘help’ either

I’m trying an additional approach of attempting to mount my sd cards boot partition and add the CONFIG folder there are you described.

diskutil list

produces

/dev/disk2 (internal, physical):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *32.0 GB disk2
1: Microsoft Reserved 33.6 MB disk2s1
2: Linux Filesystem 25.2 MB disk2s2
3: Linux Filesystem 268.4 MB disk2s3
4: Linux Filesystem 25.2 MB disk2s4
5: Linux Filesystem 268.4 MB disk2s5
6: Linux Filesystem 8.4 MB disk2s6
7: Linux Filesystem 100.7 MB disk2s7
8: Linux Filesystem 31.3 GB disk2s8

I wasn’t able to tell which is the boot partition so I guessed /dev/disk2s1 since it’s the first and mounded it via:

sudo mount -t msdos /dev/disk2s1 /mnt/windows/

I then added my my-network file from before at the path CONFIG/network/my-network

and it worked!
thank you @wutr @nickrout and everybody who responded. I’m glad to finally be able to get started on this

1 Like

AU190 - SUCCESS today after 2 days of trying to install Hassio on RPI

I was using note pad but to no avail, tried many options and permitations of code etc, etc.

However in the end cam across your post, i installed note pad ++ and did as you say change coding to ANSI and line edging to UNIX.

Came on-line almost immediate with HASSIO loading in progress viewed through my web browser pointed to my IP and port :8123

Thanks for showing the way…

set static IP using your router and router settings it is easier.

It’s not a matter of wired vs. wireless. I 100% agree that wired is the way to go for a reliable connection. The RaspberryPi 3 has the great feature of ethernet and wifi. Maybe someone would like to run HA on ethernet but have wifi sensors on a different network. There are dozens of network variations out there done for very legitimate reasons. Hassio’s network configuration is a total nightmare for accommodating these.

1 Like

I take your point but hassos is not designed as a router. If you want to run a pi as a router I suggest it would probably be best to get a second one :slight_smile:

I spent 3 weeks bashing my head against the wall trying to get WiFi to work. Starting from scratch reformatting SD at least 20 times with 32b or 64b HA87 or HA88 and trying various combinations of wifi configs and filenames. Believe me, I was about to throw in towel after this last attempt… I formatted USB FAT32 and it worked! The following is NOT in the “Getting Started” instructions.

• The config file must use UNIX end-of-line (LF)
  • The config file data must be ANSI encoded.
  • The WiFi config file is stored in the “my-network” file name, and WITHOUT a file name extension.
  • The USB must be formatted FAT32.

At least, this is what finally worked for me… WOW… this was painful ! PLEASE… someone update the “Getting Started” with these findings so that others (inexperienced Linux folks) don’t have to go through this.

Now I can go play :slight_smile:

2 Likes

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/guide-connecting-pi-with-hassos-to-wifi/98768

1 Like

To complement the link, also check out my reply, regarding the importance of setting the channel<=10 of the SSID in your router before performing first-boot.

1 Like

try this

(7:14 minutes).

1 Like

Hi Realogics
man alive to get wifi up and running was a big problem until I found your post why they can’t put up proper instructions on the getting started page of the website I will never know. it’s so very easy if you have the right instructions.

anyways thanks for all your head banging and finding out all I can say to anyone is follow the advice above.

@jdmswong have you been able to figure out how to connect Hass.io to WiFi on Pi? I am on Mac and for the life of me couldn’t make it work. Tried so many re-installs and multiple ways. Would appreciate any help you could offer. I am using pi 4.

1 Like

All,

The easiest way to do this in hass.io is to install the ssh add on and the you log on in the system and you can use this command:

nmcli d wifi connect my_wifi password

Easy and simple

1 Like

Absolutely bang on with this link!

I dont know if this can be useful, but after 5 attempts with sd’s folders creation/reflash sd/etc I finally format it in FAT 32, using win10 format default tool image , a USB stick and label it CONFIG, then plug into Linux system (ubuntu), create a network folder, my-network file, copy/paste from here using nano -> plug usb on raspi4, boot the raspi with 2A power supply and check my router page too see if raspi4 magically appear and then it did.

Unfortunately I’m unable to use any network tool while connecting to HassOS through SSH.

Is the any way to alter WiFi configuration on running system? Is there a config file I can use to change the network configuration without using USB method?

I’m using RPI3 based HassOS 3.7 with openSSH 8.1

Yes, with nmcli.

worked for me,… thank you so much…
i used boot sd card method… awesome.
my usb driver failed in rpi 3b+, finally your solution worked… it is a big relief for me

thank you dear