Hassio instalaltion Wifi configuration

Hi

Iam new here. I jast want to start my configuration but I dont know, the locaton of the wifi config file.
Can somebody tell me the exact directory of the wifi config? because what is in the main page (Optional - Setup the WiFi or static IP: On the SD-card, create the network/my-network file) is not workig.
Can somebody paste an examle of the wifi config ?

Thx a lot !

Hi, I’ve been using hass for a while and doing a reinstall and I’m also finding the latest version of the hass.io installation guide confusing. I think that we’re meant to create a folder named ‘network’ and then a text document named ‘my-network’ (with no file extension). However, I have no idea how to follow the HassOS howto, though it states that there are lots of examples of how to do this across the internet. Unfortunately, I’m struggling to find the right google search terms though to find an example.

Hopefully someone that’s more proficient than either of us can also explain the pros/cons of using the Raspi 32 v 64 bit versions. I didn’t even realise that the Pi3 came in two different models.

1 Like

For wifi use this one placing your netwok SSID name in place of MY_SSID and your wifi password in place of MY_WLAN_SECRED_KEY

[connection]
id=hassos-network
uuid=72111c67-4a5d-4d5c-925e-f8ee26efb3c3
type=802-11-wireless

[wifi]
mode=infrastructure
ssid=MY_SSID

[wifi-security]
auth-alg=open
key-mgmt=wpa-psk
psk=MY_WLAN_SECRED_KEY

[ipv4]
method=auto

[ipv6]
addr-gen-mode=stable-privacy
method=auto

I believe the 64 bit is for the new Raspi 3 B+ and the 32bit is for the original Raspi 3B.

Thx meganoodle for your response.Unfortunetly it is not working :frowning:(

I created in root \network\hassos-network, hassos-network is the file. I put in the file the data you pasted, with the right wifi data. But it is still not working.

What could be the problem. I saw some wideo how easy to install this to rasbery Pi. but something has changed.

Is this WIFI configuration is working for anybody ?

THx Robert.

Hi Robert
You need to make a file named my-network (no extension)

Paste the code in the previous post (adding your SSID and WIFI PASSWORD)

Then save it to the sd card in the folder \network

Im no expert , but this is how I managed to do it a few months back, so unless its changed since it should work.

Hope this helps

1. Createed direcroty : \network
  2. created the file: my-network

[connection]
id=my-network
uuid=72111c67-4a5d-4d5c-925e-f8ee26efb3c3
type=802-11-wireless

[wifi]
mode=infrastructure
ssid=Atti

[wifi-security]
auth-alg=open
key-mgmt=wpa-psk
psk=MY_WLAN_SECRED_KEY

[ipv4]
method=auto

[ipv6]
addr-gen-mode=stable-privacy
method=auto

5- sure with my wifi password.

Can not connected to wifi.
I using pi3, 64 bit OS, the new version form hassio page.
Where can I find older version of Hassio? Beacause sure this vesrsion is not good. I can not start to connect to wifi,

In the log I just can see (Ipv6 ADDCONF NETDEV_UP_ wlan0: link is not ready
Can sombody help me ?

1 Like

Linux uses forward slash / not backwards .

How are you creating and editing this file? It should have unix line ends, not windows, so do NOT use notepad. notepad++ should work, or the built in editing tools like nano or vi.

I useingd notepad++

And saving with unix line endings?

Opened the sd card in windows, created dir and created the file, edited with notepad ++

How can I save in notepad++ with linux line ending ?

This does not go on the SD card. It is placed on a USB which is used to pass the file to the system instead.

I using notepad++ I set the encoding to ANSI and set the line eding to UNIX.
Still not working. How can I use built in editor ??? I am using windows :slight_smile: There is no nano or vi.
Is there any other fhessher then Etcher. I think it should be integrated in the flesher software to do this if it is so complicated in different OS. I saw a video on youtube there are using different flash card writer. Is there any flasher program which is working ?

Flash the downloaded image to an SD card using Etcher.

I have check the file the lines are ends with 0A hexa so its good.

is there any possibility to set the wifi ? I only can use with the wifi. Form the LAN is working. But I need to use the wifi.

Can you advice ?
Is for anybody is working this new Etcher flasher from windows?

The instructions have changed. The details at https://www.home-assistant.io/getting-started/ now appear to go in “network/hassos-wifi”, instead of “network/my-network”. I’m still trying to get my wifi setup working so I’m not sure if that’s the only change.

Thx for the info. I will try if it works for me. I want to use static IP trough WIFI.

Does the file name matter…? I thought you could call it anything as long as it had no extension. I have the same issue…my wifi nor the eth is working…I have two files…one for the wifi setup and one for the eth.

can you check this
I think the file name does not matter

1 Like