Hassio install on docker cant create root user

Hello!
I few days ago my raspbbery pi died. Instead of buyinn another one i would like to give a try to my old laptop.

I have hp laptop with ubuntu mint. I followed these instructions:

I am using portainer aswell. everything installed corecctly. After type ip in firefox I saw a hassio logo with this monit about approx 20min instalation. After that hassio asked me for creating first root user. I typed name, username and password and cliked next but nothing happneded. I mean site mby reloaded but hasio still asked me for creating user. No matter how many times i type another login/usernames etc it stays at creating user.

After that i restarted container and hassio moved forward but now it needs username and password and noone is matching. They arent working.

What is wrong? I am new with linux/docker etc so please be patient :slight_smile: Thank you in advance.

Personally I would first delete the docker container and run again. Having said that I remember that I too had the same issue as you with the very same guide. Could never get that working.
Then I found this:

…which also helped me get a better grip on docker. Now I have a docker-compse.yml file fit for my purpose which I can use if I need to reinstall everything for some reason (done once and I was up running in abt 30 min from reinstalling Ubuntu to restored my HA config :grin:).
Note that this guide does not install Hassio. Just HA dockerized.

I am gonna read this guide, but i am a fresh user and Hassio seems much easier coz easier updates and easyinstall addons. I just want to stick with hassio instead HA.

I deleted docker containers, even folder hassio and after install tried to create user again but i got the same problem.

did you run the instally script as root?

Do u mean this command?

curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/hassio-build/master/install/hassio_install | bash -s

I dont remember but on 80% i copied only this but i was logged as root coz i use sudo command before to install another components.

yes thats the one… If you’re logged on as root you don’t need to sudo… if you set a root password when you setup it wouldnt have installed sudo… it just sounds like a permissions issue to me… maybe…

but would it install without root permission anyway? I just dont discover any problems, i mean they are listed in docker containers etc

I would go with sudo all the way :heart:
I found this docker compose version for Hassio. Haven’t tried it myself but will do later (I also prefer hass.io version for the many add-ons).
https://github.com/MonolithProjects/hassio_docker-compose

I can’t get the clean docker images working. They show up nicely. Ports are showing but never any response. I found this article though which works.

Now i need to figure out how to get it into docker-compose format.
What I have noticed is different articles show different prerequisites which is confusing.
Btw. If you don’t need a linux desktop to play around with go with ubuntu server headless.
Good luck!

@DavidFW1960

I got a solution! There was something wrong with ip’s it looks like my linux mint where i installed docker wasnt accesable to log in hassio. I added some lines in configuration.yaml

http:
  trusted_networks:
    - 127.0.0.1 #this is local ip??? should I leave it?
    - 172.30.32.1 #this is ip off hassio
    - 192.168.100.5 #this is my laptop ip where docker is running
  ip_ban_enabled: true
  login_attempts_threshold: 99

After restart i could log in by trusted networks. When i log in i just acitvate ssh and samba addon. I stopped hassio, delete files:

And after start hassio i was able to create user account (owner)

great… but you’re happy to allow 99 failed logins before banning an ip?
127.0.0.1 will be the machine HA is running on… you can leave it.
172.30.x.x will be docker - don’t know if that’s needed…
192.168.100.0/24 would be better - then any machine on your network can use trusted networks to login.

I am not happy with this thats why i deleted all trusted devices etc and left only login by username and password :slight_smile: now everythign its working liek a charm :slight_smile: