HASSIO Installation Issue - Preparing Hass.io (this can take up to 20 minutes)

Just sharing my experience with this issue.

I tried to install Hass.io on my RPi 3b+ on 2 occasions in different networks, namely my office and home. First attempt in the office worked well, but I could not replicate the success at home. It got stuck at “preparing hass.io” page for the longest time. This morning I brought the same set up back to office, and it managed to complete the preparation phase within 10 mins.

I believe it should have something to do with my router at home, maybe the anti-virus was blocking connection or something. I’m using TP-Link Deco m5 btw.

I wonder if this is a router issue. I’ve installed on multiple memory cards, multiple Raspberry Pis and always stuck at “Preparing Hass.io”.

A Google search reveals that it’s a pretty widespread problem and I can’t see a documented solution.

I’ve the same issues here. Situation:

• Brand new Pi 3B+ with a 4A power supply
  • Brand new 32 GB MicroSD card (Samsung EVO Plus)
  • Used balenaEtcher with 32-bit HASS.io image to prepare SD-card (image: hassos_rpi3-2.8.img.gz)
  • Started the installation process without any USB-stick/connection attached

The message within the browser “Preparing Hass.io (this can take up to 20 minutes)” doesn’t change, even after hours of waiting.
I’ve attached a display to the Pi and the installation process gets stuck in an endless loop stating the following two lines every ~10 minutes:

• IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
  • brcmfmac: power management disabled.

Does anyone have an idea how to solve this issue?

1 Like

@Krammie - the issue you’re facing is that brand new Pi 3B+ usually comes with the wlan interface disabled (something to do with regulations and not knowing which country the Pi is used in).

Unfortunately I can’t remember what the proper steps are for HassOS for unblocking the wlan interface. I do know that I needed to use a regular keyboard and hdmi screen (as SSH wasn’t an option, for multiple reasons) but I don’t remember the exact issued command.

Can’t seem to track the thread down right now, here’s an explanation and a solution for a Hassbian based installation: https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/issues/14711

As old as this problem is I would have hoped there’d be a solution. I’m experiencing the same thing with my new hassio installation. My current setup is hassbian but since that’s deprecated I figured it was time to update.

Hello,

Only plug and play DHCP ethernet netwoking is avaible by default, for static ip or for Wifi connection it will need some actions on your side.
If you haven’t seen it yet that topic is quite complete on that subject:

Thanks, as part of my debugging, I configured a static IP and I’m not using the WiFI connection.

I’m sure it’s just a minor stumbling block. I’ll sort it out or just go back to hassbian.

Cheers,
Bob

As much of a control freak that I am and MUST be able to see what’s going on ALL the time… I fixed my paranoia by plugging the pi into my HDMI port on a TV and sticking a wireless keyboard dongle into one of the usb ports.
Then I could not only watch it boot up but actually be able to do something when it didn’t finish.

Same here. I’ve got a monitor and keyboard connected just to watch what happens… the same as I do with any headless server until I’m comfortable with things. It’s all looking normal except for the “wlan0: link is not ready” message that keeps scrolling through.
Regarding “this can take up to 20 minutes” problem, I’ve thought of a few more things I can take a look at, and I’ll give them a try when I get home.

I have the exact same issue as Bob. “wlan0:link is not ready” even when I’m not using a USB stick and I’ve got an ethernet cable plugged in. Any tips would be appreciated.

Have you tried that also ?

If you’re not using wifi, then why would wlan link need to be ready? This is a normal thing to see.

I’m not using WiFi. I know the “wlan0: link is not ready” blurb is just informative… not an error or warning.
I only chimed in on this thread because I’m seeing the this can take up to 20 minutes, note on the web UI.

20 minutes is dependent on your internet speed. Hassio is trying to download the latest docker images and can take some time to download, especially on a pi.

In my case it’s not a matter of internet speed. I’m showing this in the supervsor logs

19-12-20 14:59:30 INFO (SyncWorker12) [hassio.docker.interface] Update image homeassistant/raspberrypi3-homeassistant:landingpage to homeassistant/raspberrypi3-homeassistant:0.103.2
19-12-20 14:59:30 INFO (SyncWorker12) [hassio.docker.interface] Pull image homeassistant/raspberrypi3-homeassistant tag 0.103.2
19-12-20 15:00:56 ERROR (SyncWorker12) [hassio.docker.interface] Can't install homeassistant/raspberrypi3-homeassistant:0.103.2 -> 404 Client Error: Not Found ("no such image: homeassistant/raspberrypi3-homeassistant:0.103.2 No such image: homeassistant/raspberrypi3-homeassistant:0.103.2)
19-12-20 15:00:56 WARNING (Main Thread) [hassiohomeassistant] Error on install Home Assistant. Retry in 30sec

I recall that happening to me once. I finally resolved it by starting over from ground zero. I mean REALLY ground zero. Download a new image of HA from HA website (ya never know if the one you have has somehow corrupted)… reflash your SDcard…

Maybe even a new SD card. I had a PI act like that when I tried a new super sized (at the time) 128GB card that silently started failing on me 15 minutes after I unpackaged it.

plug in… go do something else and don’t watch it for an hour.

On a whim, I tried a different sd card. The original was a new-in-package 64Gb. I did an backup image dump of a 32Gb I was running Hassbian on, and re-flashed that. Lo and behold it took off running in about 6 minutes!

Now I get to figure my way around hassio… it’s so much more different than what I’m used to.

I found that I had to expand the main root partition to get past this error. I installed hassos inside of docker on Ubuntu. This allows me to have the hassio add-on store while being able to use the USB Redirector since I am on Hyper-v.

You didn’t install HassOS in docker.

You installed Hassio.

Very well then, it allows me to have access to the add-on store which is what I want.