Hassio installation on lxd/lxc container Ubuntu 18.04

Hi all,

I am new to Home Assistant.

I have successfully installed Home Assistant in Python virtual environment on lxd/lxc Ubuntu 18.04.
But later I have found out that the hassio is the most complete (add-ons) Home Assist installation. Followed instructions https://github.com/home-assistant/hassio-installer but it just doesn’t work. Is it supposed to create 2 docker containers? I see only one hassio_supervisor and it is not running. No errors during the installation. Is this because of the nested containerization (lxc container + docker)? But I have installed Portainer on that docker and it is running with no issues.
Any ideas?

I have figured it out.

When I was starting manually hassio_supervisor, the docker threw the following error:

setting cgroup config for procHooks process caused \\\"failed to write a *:* rwm to devices.allow: write /sys/fs/cgroup/devices/docker/...

I do not know if anyone needs this info, but anyway:

lxc config edit ubuntu-lxd-3

raw.lxc: |-
    lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = a
    lxc.mount.auto=proc:rw sys:rw
    lxc.cap.drop=
    lxc.apparmor.profile=unconfined

EDIT:

This is my final configuration ( a fragment):

raw.lxc: |-
    lxc.cgroup.devices.allow = a
    lxc.cap.drop=
    lxc.apparmor.profile=unconfined
 security.nesting: "true"
 security.privileged: "true"

While I was troubleshooting this issue, I have installed hassio on QEMU/KVM and can confirm that it works on this platform, as well.

UPDATE:
docker container homeassistant doesn’t start automatically for some reasons, I had to start it manually, others two are ok. Will be running it on QEMU/KVM.

UPDATE 2:

LXD/LXC container:

docker update --restart=always homeassistant

did the trick.
Now it is starting in both cases: the lxc container reboot (before it stopped on reboot) and systemctl restart docker.

On QEMU/KVM homeassistant container starts on VM reboot but stops on the docker service restart (so the fix is the same).

CONCLUSION:

hassio is not going to work on LXD container in normal way. All add-ons in hass.io are docker containers which do not start automatically after a container reboot. It can be fixed by docker update --restart=always <add-on-container-name> applied to each container but this is a bit cumbersome.

On QEMU/KVM VM they start on the VM reboot, but fail to start on the docker service restart. That is not good, but I can live with it. So my choice is a KVM machine (at least this is a full virtualization and my host is safe).