HassIO Keeps Going Offline

I recently moved over to HassIO from Hassbian and everything was working great. In the last week, my RPi has been unreachable on 3 occasions. I cannot reach the front end or SSH into it. No samba access either. I am on the road so I’ve had my wife power cycle it which brings it back, but when it comes back up its a brand new log file so I don’t see any errors. Is there anything I can do to see why its crashing or hanging up?

EDIT: When I moved to HassIO, I used a brand new microSD card (Samsung 32GB) since my old one had been in there for some time. I dont think its the SD card since it restarts OK, but I wont be able to test it until next week.

I also have the same problem, HassIO can go for days and then all of a sudden it doesn’t respond.

I can see it in my router but can’t ping it or reach the UI. do you have the same problem?

My automations seems to work .

Have you solved it?

1 Like

I believe it was due to OwnTracks Http. It was the only change I made aside from upgrading to a new release. I removed the service and have not had an issue since.

I had and have the same problem.

And I don’t have owntrack.

Also in my case the SD works flawless with other SO (HASSBIAN).

Any hint?

I’m out of other ideas. Dumping owntracks fixed it for me.

This just started happening to me yesterday. Out of seemingly nowhere, my Hassio Pi drops off the network completely. I can’t ping it from my PC, an IP scan of my network from said PC doesn’t find it, and my router no longer shows it as a connected client.

I wasn’t messing with the configuration at all when it happened (once yesterday and once today). So far, all I’ve done is pulled the power cord on the Pi and waited a while before plugging it back in.

I don’t know if this is related, but earlier today while tailing the home-assistant.log in a log viewer program, I noticed that Hassio started throwing all kinds of errors relating to it not being able to get the status of the various things it polls (Hue bridge, Chromecast, etc.). None of the other computers or devices on my network are experiencing any network troubles.

Any ideas from anyone?

i’ve had/have the same problem. I disabled my mjpeg camera and it seems to have stopped…

before i noticed a gradual incline of CPU usage during 1 - 2 days before a spontaneous restart of hass. I export CPU and MEM usage to influx and visualise it in grafana…

@pvizeli
it seems to me hass.io has a memory issue somewhere?

its the power connector, depending on what you have installed, it consumes more, you need the appropriate cable and for it, read the rPi specs and make the adjustment. I was having that same problem by using one of my old phone chargers, once I got a better usb cable and better amp plug, it never happened again.
Or do like me and put a portable charger in between, so you never loose power.

I am using the AC adapter that came with the Pi in one of those popular all-in-one kits from Amazon. Is it really possible that it isn’t getting enough power from that?

Sounds more like a memory leak and all available RAM gets used then chews into the little 100MB swap.

I had this issue on non-HassIO install while a dependency was installing in the background.

If you have access to the hypervisor sysstat might be installed you could check via sar -w to get your swapfile usage.

Is there any way to see logs after this happens? When I had the issue, I was not able to access my RPi via any methods and a power cycle was the only thing that fixed it. When it starts back up, all the logs reset.

I agree with one poster that said it could be your power supply/cable. In my case, it wasn’t the issue, but worth checking into.

1 Like

I have been having the same symtoms described above and have documented them here: Hass.io Access Crashing Overnight, Every Night

Any of you have any luck addressing this issue or coming up with a way to check the logs after the necesarry power cycle?

For anyone else that stumbles upon this thread with similar problems, read the solution that worked for me in @anndrewww’s thread.

I have never used WiFi and had the issue a few times.

First time, I had just started using HTTP OwnTracks. Disabled it and everything worked again.

Second time was recently when I enabled the updated Ring component. Disabled it and everything is rock solid since.

Possible I have a bad Ethernet port I guess, and the updated components increased network traffic, but I can’t prove it either way at the moment.

I had mine go offline two nights ago for some reason. Again, no way to figure out what the culprit is. Worst part is that when I power cycled since I could not SSH in, when it came up, my alarm went off. I’ve since added some safeguards so that a non-ready z wave network will not trigger it, but really pissed everyone off at 5am.

@gregg098 - Do you have the Bluetooth Add-On enabled? I’m suspecting it may be part of the issue?

I do. I use it for the device tracker.

Could be a coincidence, but the only two (2) crashes since my re-install happend at or near when I left my “Home” Zone with all my devices. I had only one device tracker method enabled, the Bluetooth device tracker, so I could try to eliminate some variables without multiple methods (TP-Link Device Tracker; Owntracks; etc).

EDIT:

The other oddity that I have noticed is that the file size of my Snapshots balloons to 70-80MB with the “Dasshio” add-on segment making up nearly 70MB, which makes no sense.

Curious if it is. I do not have OwnTracks enabled anymore, but do use AsusWRT, GPS Logger, and Bluetooth.

Its very random when it happens so even if I disabled Bluetooth, it would be a good solid week of up time before I could say it might be the culprit. Plus I’m a tinkerer so I end up restarting Home Assistant quite a bit.

I’m having the same problem, or similar. I can still ping my Hassio and access the samba share, but I can’t access the web interface. It’s not consistant on how often it happens, could be an hour to 12 hours. I don’t have much connected to it. Just 2 TP-Link switches, a hikvision camera (with binary-sensors), a ring camera (with binary-sensors), rf-switches (but the transmitter is disconnected), and a gpio sensor (also disconnected).

I’m going to google how to check the cpu usage and the memory to see if I can find any clues there.

You think it could be because I have identified devices that are not connected?