HA OS on unRaid!

So I don’t know what’s going on. I’ll preface this with I just started using Unraid, and wanted to put HassOS as a VM on it. I’ve got my HA on a Pi, so this seemed like a great upgrade. I was able to install it no problem and accessed it from another computer from its IP:8123. But it kills the rest of my network. All of my wired and wireless devices can no longer access the internet at all or seems each otuer. Did I forget to do something? As soon as I stop my HA VM the network returns.

Were you able to set a static ip / dns for your Unraid server itself and did that change anything?

I did figure it out and it was really dumb. My router did not like the fact that I was trying to run two HA instances at the same time so it would basically shut down the traffic. As soon as I turned off my Pi and just ran the VM, everything cleared up. Should’ve thought of that earlier, but I was so afraid of the VM not working and wanting to just see how well it could function that I just kept my old instance going. Should’ve trusted more in it all coming together.

Anyone manage to update to 0.114? I tried a second time now but it don´t work.

I will roll back with a fresh install and then snapshot back my 0.113 setup

Worked fine for me

I have HassOS running on an UnRaid VM and I love it!
I just changed my Unifi setup to have an IoT VLAN (192.168.80.xxx). My untagged LAN is 192.168.85.xxx.
I’m trying to get HassOS to be on both the untagged LAN and IoT VLAN but can’t get it to work.
I tried the following: HASSIO on NUC - My Journey
I then tried to create a VLAN in UnRaid and add both br0 and br0.80 to the VM but I am having some weird issues where it only activates the VLAN network and not the LAN one.
Even if I manually activate the LAN one and it pulls a separate ip from both; something still messes up and I can’t ping anything on the VLAN. This is mostly for Xiaomi and discovery breaking.
Thanks for any help.

If its mainly for Xiaomi and Discovery, Id recommend to use the Unifi MDNS repeater. Depending on your Setup you might have to use the gateway.config as there is no UI option for it. On Top, it maybe necessary to configure a SNAT or Masquerade Rule for particulary stubborn MIIO devices. I had to do that for my AirPurifier. This basically tells the MIIO device that your HomeAssistant is sending requests from the same subnet as itself. Only in this case, its answering. Then you can leave the HA host in just one Network and everything should still work.

An example config.gateway.json:

{
  "service": {
    "mdns": {
      "repeater": {
        "interface": [
          "eth1",
          "eth1.10",
          "eth1.20",
          "eth1.30"
        ]
      }
    },
	"nat": {
		"rule": {
			"5010": {
				"description": "HASS to XiaomiMIIO",
				"destination": {
					"address": "192.168.20.0/24"
				},
				"log": "disable",
				"outbound-interface": "eth1.20",
				"protocol": "all",
				"source": {
					"address": "192.168.1.0/24"
				},
				"type": "masquerade"
			}
		}
	}	
  },

Unfortunately, I have a UDM so no Json for me :frowning:
It doesn’t look like there are any SNAT nor Masquerade rules to be made in the GUI either.
I have mDNS off in the GUI but run a reflector on UnifiOS. It works for Google Home, AirPlay and Chromecast. Just weird how hass discovery is the only thing giving me problems.
Also, I ended up getting home assistant to get an ip in both subnets, but for some reason, I’m still having problems getting discovery to work. Dunno.

I had the same problem after recently switching to UDM. However, you can still do it via ssh.

Please find my translation of the json to iptable command here:

Hi all,

I run my HA instance as a VM inside my unraid server: today I updated supervisor to latest version (245 if I remember well) and then clicked on update to 0.115.

Now my frontend is not loading: ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

I can connect to the VM and can see folders and files.

I checked the log and is seems that everything is working fine…

Can someone please support me?

TY

This should be posted elsewhere. It sounds like an HA issue and not related to Unraid or the fact that it’s a VM. I’d start with a reboot of the VM and go from there.

I followed your suggestion and yes, it was a HA issue (I downgraded to 0.114.4 and frontend came back).

May I ask you something else?

When I made my VM I used last image available : 4.12 . Now I see that 4.13 is out and I was wondering if I can simply change the file editing the VM properties or there’s a better way to do it.

Thank you

I just update the OS versions from the HA supervisor and have never had an issue yet.

Uhm ok so I can update HassOS to 4.13 using hassos_ova-4.12.qcow2.gz …

Intresting

The name on the image just refers to the OS that was used to generate the image. Once you start using it in a VM it is just another virtual disk

1 Like

Hi All

Just installed the VM image and imported my snapshot from my existing hassio_supervisor docker. All went well till I checked my integrations, most are working however am trying to reinstall Plex and Smartthings which both require access to external sites to authorise and every time I complete the process the last page is unable to load. It worked fine before in docker, so am pretty sure its to do with the VM instance not being able to correctly access the sites. Have also tried in multiple browsers.

Is there any suggestions or settings anyone could recommend, have checked out most the guides and cant find anything related ?

@tmchow Thank you!

I was having the exact same issue. Been searching for an answer everywhere and saw your comment here and that worked like a charm.

Thanks again for posting the solution!

1 Like

Ive never had a problem updating. Following the OP guide worked flawlessly.

However, Im having trouble with Zigbee2Mqtt addon. I cannot start it (Zigbee2mqtt Addon install failed) I opened this thread looking for assistance and another user suggested it might be an issue with permission and it could be due my installation. Does anybody have experience with Zigbee2Mqtt addon?

Is there a way where you can host the file system on your cache drive, say /mnt/user/appdata/hassio and have the qcow2 image reference this file structure? From what I have seen, the files seem to be hosted within the VM, which I really do not want.

Ultimately, i’d like to be able to access the files that hassio uses from the unraid platform for various reasons. Is this possible? I know that the SMB plugin is an option, but looking for something a little more direct.

The Home Assistant container from Unraid’s app store does this, but that is a plain Home Assistant install. You would not have the ecosystem with a supervisor and the add-ons, but a lot of those can be found in the Unraid app store anyway.

VMs of any kind are always going to be isolated machines. It’s like asking if any other real computer on your network can host files in that same path on your Unraid box (without making use of smb or something else).