Hassio or install on Raspbian?

Hi All,
I searched on the forum but I did not find anything …
Here is my question: Is it better to install Home Assistant with Hassio or is it better to install Raspbian and then integrate it with Home Assistant?

Thanks

What would qualify one as ‘better’ than the other?

Personally, I would suggest Docker, but someone else will say python virtual environment on raspbian, someone else will say hassbian, and someone else will tell you hassio.

So what would make one better than the other to YOU?

Depends on your use case.

You can install Hassio on top of Rasbian.

That being said, unless you have a reason for doing so, the straight hassio install would be cleaner.

HassOS is somewhat restrictive as an OS as many common features available to people familiar with Rasbian wont be found. However, HassOS is a purpose built Operating System to run Home Assistant and Hassio.

The benefit of running on top of rasbian is flexibility as the host operating system is familiar and fully functioning.

There are also a number of other install methods available which don’t use hassio. You will lose the ability to run add-ons as they are hassio specific. Add-ons are nice as they make it easy for users with little experience or little time to get other facets of their home automation system up and running quickly.

1 Like

I ask what is better because if I have not misunderstood, if I install home assistant from Raspbian, I will have both operating systems, Raspbian and Home Assistant. If I install HASSIO I will only have Home Assistant.

Home Assistant is NOT an operating system, so you will have the Home Assistant application running on Raspbian.

Depends on how you install hassio.

Yes, you’re right, I expressed myself badly. But I’ve already done the Hassio installation and when I turn on the Respberry not start anything else except Home Assistant. If I do the Raspbian installation I have both.

For example, the WI-FI If I’m not mistaken about Resbian I can easily configure it at any time, while if I install only HASSIO I have to “force” the wi-fi by putting a usb stick.
Is correct?

You can also install hassio on Raspbian, using the instructions for ‘generic linux install’

@silvrr thanks for reponse. But is Possible have a shell command in Hassio?

You can create shell commands for hassio, just like any other way.

Are you referring to getting to the CLI? Yes. That is possible too.

But I do not have an iterative Terminal like on Resbian or like the Windows CMD shell. For example, to execute the following commands: cd / srv
sudo mkdir homeassistant
On Home Assistant where do I find it? or do I have to "write the commands inside Automation or Scripts?

Sure you do.

HASSOS (when you install hassio, by copying the image to the SDcard) will not allow you to run all commands, because it is an appliance, but you can run SHELL_COMMANDs, (say from an automation or script in Home Assistant) to do things related to AUTOMATION of your home.

Stop.

Home Assistant is NOT the OS. Home Assistant is the APPLICATION running on the OS.

Thanks for all the answers. I do not write well in English and so maybe I express myself badly. When I turn on the Respberry the operating system (which I do not see) is loaded the Home Assistant applicatio. Now if I want use a Terminal how can I do? What is the procedure?

Are you referring to the ‘normal’ hassio installation method? Please clarify, because, as you have been told, you can install hassio under normal raspbian also.

I would read if I were you.

I did this installation:

Some guides I read to add sensors on Home Assistant made some command line steps.
for this reason I wanted to know if this type of installation was possible with my configuration

Almost everything you need for components is already included in hassio or in home assistant in docker. You don’t need most of those steps

OK perfect, Now I understand better. Thank you for your immense patience and support.

If you like using linux and the command line, use raspbian or even better hassbian. hassbian gives you raspbian plus pre-configured working home assistant.