Hassio RPi to NUC snapshot will not restore

Which folders? The config folder and share etc can be accessed via the host. On my system they are here /usr/share/hassio/homeassistant You can also ssh in using something like WinSCP to the HA system and see the familiar file structure as well if you want…

1 Like

At the end of the day I’m looking to be able to sit down at my windows 10 machine and edit my yaml files using notepad++. I also want to easily put images in the www folder and drop restores in the backup folder without having to connect a keyboard/mouse/monitor directly to the host pc (NUC).

Before I could access the config files from the file explorer in windows (samba add-on in hassio). That was very convenient, so that is what I am trying to do here at the host level.

So use WinSCP in that case. It’s perfect for what you want. But the Samba addon should also let you do that.

Thanks @DavidFW1960 for pointing out where to find the home assistant files (/usr/share/hassio/homeassistant). I did not know they were there or how to find them. I was trying to figure out how to use “Portainer” so I could find the home assistant files… ugh.

I was able to add the home assistant folder to samba and I am up and running like before.

Seriously you should read scripts that you install. The information is in there.

I can’t argue against the idea that being more informed is a good thing. Which script are you referring to?

The one you ran to INSTALL Hassio?

I just took a look at it. (https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/hassio-installer/master/hassio_install.sh)

I found this line: DATA_SHARE=/usr/share/hassio
I guess that is the clue that I was looking for. That would not have been obvious to me. I only found it by searching for the path that I already knew about from @DavidFW1960.

While I don’t doubt everything I need to know is in there, I don’t currently possess the skills necessary to extract the information that I need. I’m getting there, little by little, but still have a long way to go and will likely never achieve “master status”.

It’s very painful to navigate through documentation when each thing you find references three things that you don’t know about. Go to each of those and they reference more things you don’t know about. It can become very overwhelming very quickly for a noob. It’s getting better with each new thing that I do, as I learn a few things each time and the overall picture starts to get filled in a bit more. If you can imagine it, things were much, much worse for me a year ago.

Thank you for the help and patience with dumb questions, I do appreciate it.