Hassio RPi to NUC snapshot will not restore

I’m migrating my Hassio from a Raspberry Pi to an Intel NUC. I installed Ubuntu on the NUC, Docker (and required components), brought up the Hassio image, and was able to login to Hassio. I copied the .tar files from the backup folder on the Raspberry Pi to the backup folder on the NUC, navigated to snapshots and selected “wipe and restore” with everything selected (it was a full snapshot). The connection to Hassio dropped, and then nothing. It never came back up, and nothing was written to the log. Is there something I’m missing in this process?

Being you changed platform, directory structures may change, permissions may change… I would do a manual tar extract on your ubuntu machine and move the files over individually.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll give this a try and report back.

I have moved from a hassio on ubuntu to pi based HASSOs install to a VM based HASSOS install with no issues for the core HA restoration.

The restoration can take awhile. How long did you wait?

1 Like

The link you sent me to goes to a “create a new page” page. I waited about 30 minutes.

Try now, just a description of my history with backup and restore. The key point is that it can take awhile depending on the speed of your hardware. This goes for making a backup (wait long enough that its complete) and restoring.

It takes alot to package and unpackage the tar file and then everything has to be moved and updated and then everything has to restart so all the changes are applied.

I need to do a restore from scratch again and watch my firewall, I assume everything needs to be re-downloaded (add-ons especially) which can take some time depending on your connection.

1 Like

I swung by the house on my lunch break, and I never stopped the process last night and still nothing. So it ran for about fourteen hours. I really don’t think it’s a paticene issue, as I’ve done restores on my Raspberry Pi before.They take about 10 minutes. With the vastly improved hardware of the NUC, I would think 30 minutes would have been plenty.

Your write up was helpful though! I started to wonder if my issue was the lack of the Z-Wave stick, but you didn’t have yours plugged in until after either. And since you were having issues with the add-ons, maybe I’ll try doing a restore without them and seeing if that’s gumming it up.

Yeah, I think 14 hours is enough.

The z-wave missing will delay startup as its trying to set all that up and can’t, it should also throw alot of errors. The lack of errors in the log tells me that HA never started as it should have gotten some related to not being able to setup the zwave platform.

1 Like

I think the issue was with the NUC not having the same IP as the RPi. Once I removed the Pi, and gave the NUC the Pi’s IP address, the restores started to work.

Have all kinds of problems with Nest and MQTT now, but at least some progress is being made.

I have both ubuntu and hassio on the NUC. They each have their own IP address. How do I change the IP address of hassio on the NUC to match the IP address on my old RPi?

Are you running a VM? That’s the only way it would have a different IP from the host.

If you’re just running the normal hassio generic Linux install, the IP you need to change is the host (Ubuntu machine)

I am running hassio using docker following instructions here: Simple install command for installing Hass.io on a Generic Ubuntu/Debian machine · GitHub

Ubuntu connects to my WiFi network. I was not able to log into the hassio frontend until I connected an ethernet cable (that’s when the 2nd IP Address showed up).

That has nothing to do with hassio.

That is a SECOND IP on your UBUNTU machine. Give your Ubuntu machine the IP you want.

Thank you for the super fast response. I’ll give that a try.

I changed the IP address on the Ubuntu machine (NUC) to match the old IP address of the raspberry pi. The snapshot still doesn’t work. It restores add-ons and not much else. Yaml files are not updated and the frontend is still empty.

Going from a pi to an x86-64 based os can lead to problems when trying to restore your snapshot. Pi snapshots sometimes include docker images (add-ons) that only work on arm architecture.

So just open the snapshot file up and copy the files you need out of it.

I was able to copy all my old files over. At first none of the zwave or xiaomi names came through. I replaced core.entity_registry file again, restarted home assistant and everything came through. Updated my port forwarding rules on my router and everything is up and running just as it was.

Thanks for the help @flamingm0e

I have samba working for hassio (uses docker). I am trying to get samba working for a shared folder on ubuntu, but it doesn’t seem to be working. Any suggestions? Are special steps needed because of docker?

Get rid of the Samba add-on. Use samba on the host only.

That worked. Now I can see the shared folders from ubuntu when typing that machines ip address into the windows file explorer. I can no longer see the folders from hassio though. I am not sure how to address them. That is the confusing part to me. How can I differentiate the hassio container from the host pc from outside the NUC?