Hassio stopped working completely

Hi there,

I have been using Hassio for over a year. A couple of months ago I decided to start all over. Since then Hassio has been running quite well with about 20 automations combining various platforms such as Milight, Xiaomi/Aqara Mi Home and Z-wave. Yesterday all was working as expected.

This morning I noticed when clicking an Aqara button, nothing happened. I restarted my Raspberry Pi by unplugging it and then plugging it in again. I waited for over an hour, but I didn’t see it reappear in my routers connected devices. I then changed the network cable to one that works (of my PC), to check if it was a cable error, but no change unfortunately.

I took out the SD card and stuck it in a card reader and checked it in my Windows PC. I did see some contents, so I’m assuming the card is OK too.

The LED on the Raspberry Pi is on judging by the the router LED of that network port, it does seem like there is some network activity.

I have also rebooted my modem and router just to be sure, but so ar I have not been able to get Hassio alive again.

Does anybody know what could be the problem?

Reinstalling everything without a proper backup is a pain in the ass and I would prefer to not have to do it. I do have a recent snapshot on the SD card, but have no idea how to reach it if I can’t even reach the Raspberry Pi over Samba in Windows.

Would appreciate any advice!

Even though I haven’t received a reply here, I have decided to share my experience just so others having the same issue might find this helpful.

I still don’t have Hassio working again, but I am a few steps further. First of all I found this application to restore files from the SD card: https://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/features.shtml

This way I have the snapshots available, even though I don’t know if they will work when copying them to a new installation. I am able to open them and open text files in a text reader, so I’m assuming they are intact and not corrupt.

My next step was to hook up a screen to my Raspberry Pi and see what the output was. To my surprise a long list of the cryptic code fsm 1, hsts 00000001 was shown. When Googling that code I found links like these:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=184700

but also on this forum: Hassio not loading with continuous scroll of fsm 1, hsts 00000001 error

All of them seemed to mention a corrupt SD card, so I tried with a brand new SD card with a fresh Hassio installation, but the code remained the same. Hence I believe there’s nothing wrong with both SD cards and it must be the Raspberry Pi. I have now ordered a new one and hope that will solve the problem. To be continued…

Mine was solved by purchasing a new sd card just to let you know. I now have a policy of backing up my sd card using home assistant and then using a third party integration to back things up on a google drive. I also periodically copy my config file to the network and save a lovelace.yaml file as a backup using the config ui. It appears there are sd cards that have wear leveling so home assistant is burning the same place on the sd card. Got the suggestion off another pi project I am about to go on.

Good luck!

Thanks for sharing your experience. I had a brand new SD card, which I tried and the issue was the same, so I don’t think it’s the SD card in this case.

Just wondering: what 3rd party integration do you use to back things up on Google Drive? That sounds like something I’d want once I get everything up and running again. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

1 Like

google drive backup is on this community.

Thanks a lot, will definitely try it after I’m back up and running!

Just wanted to tell you guys that replacing the Raspberry Pi and SD card did the trick. I was able to restore a snapshot and all I had to do to get everything back running afterwards, was uninstall some add-ons and re-install them as they refused to run.

You just saved my ass. My system went down, but the Pi was able to boot off a Raspian memory card. So it wasn’t the Pi that was bad, but rather the SD card.
If it wasn’t for your diskinternals link, ALL my data would be lost. I thought back-up to Google Drive was just something other people needed, since my disk was a Samsung 32 EVO.
Anyhow, I’m about to reload HA onto a new disk, then use one of my back-up snapshots I recovered. Plus, I was able to find my config.yaml, so all is good even if a back-up doesn’t come through.
Thanks again!

1 Like