Hassio update from 3 to 4

Hi all,

Thing of note is that I’m running on a pi 2 B, I’ve been waiting for a replacement board since before the pandemic but shipping has been an issue since so I’m stuck on that for now.

This morning an OS update appeared in my supervisor tab, from 3.x to 4.8 (not sure of the precise versions, something like that). I clicked on update and let it do it’s thing, but now 3 hours later it’s still not back up.

The pi pings fine so I’m assuming the OS booted, and for some reason not starting the docker containers, but my question really is what do these OS updates do ? Is it expected for it to ping but leave the containers down while it’s running scripts, or does that mean the update failed ?

Unfortunately to plug a monitor on it I’d have to unplug the pi and move it elsewhere, which I’d rather not do if there’s a risk it’s still running update scripts.
Anyone knows how long I should give it before unplugging it and checking with a monitor ? pi 2 are admittedly pretty slow.

Thank you

Do you have SSH or Samba installed ?

Same problem here, not 3 hours but too long already. I don’t have a monitor to plug into it either!

The SSH addon is installed yes, but not up, or at least port 22 says connection refused.
Same for port 80.

I do and not able to access either, in fact a port scan doesn’t present any open ports.

Edit: Just found port 22222 open but unable to ssh in, I get a bunch of debug but it exits right away…

debug1: channel 0: new [client-session]
debug1: Entering interactive session.
debug1: pledge: network
debug1: Sending environment.
debug1: Sending env LANG = en_AU.UTF-8
Error: No such container: hassio_cli
debug1: client_input_channel_req: channel 0 rtype exit-status reply 0
debug1: channel 0: free: client-session, nchannels 1
Transferred: sent 3472, received 1496 bytes, in 0.1 seconds
Bytes per second: sent 24793.4, received 10682.9
debug1: Exit status 0

I suppose you had managed to get 22222 open beforehand ? I tried a couple of weeks ago to enable it but couldn’t make it work and gave up, meant to revisit that later on.

About to try this:

Seems a common issue atm:

Ok I’m back, using those instructions in the first link I posted above. Make sure your USB key is named CONFIG (case sensitive). You don’t need to reboot twice, just give it a while for it to take the config. I monitored using query in my pi-hole instance by looking for communication from the hassio host to certain API I have integrated.

Glad to hear it, what version did you download, 3.13 ?

Yes, 3.13.

Alright, booted it with the key plugged in, will see in a while if that fixed it.
Thanks !

And it’s up, rollback to 3.13 solved it.
Thanks for the link ! Guess I’ll avoid that update button for now.

1 Like

Hi, have the same problem as people above. Hassio 3.13 to 4.8 upgrade. My thing is that I run from USB disk (no SD card) and the PI3B+ never restarted. I disconnect my USB drive from PI and connect to my PC and it looked as a fresh install on the USB disk.
Just to be sure I copied it to my PC and then reinstalled a 4.8 via balenaEtcher as normal. And yes, it was indentical with what I lready had on my USB disk.
So my guess is that 4.8 cant autostart on USB disk as earlier versions Hassio could on PI3B+. Can anyone comment on this?
Thanks.

Noticed that since this audio doesn’t work anymore.
Not sure why, the line dtparam=audio=on is still in the config.txt but the sound card doesn’t show up in /dev/snd anymore.

I downgraded to 3.12 then upgraded back to 3.13 and that fixed it, weird.
os upgrade --version 3.12
reboot
os upgrade --version 3.13