Hassio Update Service

Hi,

I was looking for a way to update Hassio in an automation (for example, make a snapshot of HA and then update system), but there is no way to call a service to make this update.

Maybe a Hassio Update Service would be good for a lot of people who makes automations before update the system.

You can always create a snapshot under Hass.io -> Snapshots:

If you want to create a backup with a service call, you can use hassio.snapshot_full or hassio.snapshot_partial. I do this as part of an automation that creates a snapshot and then backs it up to Google Drive. But if you want to create one at the time you’re doing an upgrade, I don’t see the advantage in doing it via service call rather than creating it manually before kicking off your upgrade.

Hi @apop,

Thanks for answering. I know how to create a backup, what I want is a service to update Hassio.
I want to create an script for create a backup of my system, and then update hassio.

What I need is create a Hassio Update service for that.

1 Like

I would like to have this ability as well, as I watch over a number of installs for family and friends and would like to ease the pain.

Thanks!

1 Like

There is a good reason this doesn’t exist as it would be bad practice to automate and blindly update HA without reading the release notes, or breaking changes.

If you would like automated/scheduled backups, there is a great Hass.io add-on available to create scheduled backups and upload to Google Drive. You can set it to make one every day if you wish. Add this repo to your Hass.io add-ons section.

Always read release notes and breaking changes before updating.

I’m not looking to necessarily automate the update, but be able to call it remotely.

Just log onto the HA instance and hit update.

It’d be nice to see this implemented. +1

Same goes for me. I normally check breaking_changes to see if my HA instance is affected and press update when there isn’t any.
So I rather have an Android notification which says: there’s an update, there are 0 breaking changes and then an action button to upgrade hassio.

Really is that the best answer? Update via service call would be really useful. Simple scripting to update automatically for minor updates and announce major updates via notification. Of course it’s best practice to look for breaking changes - surely the educated users of the platform should be able to make that decision. It would be a great service “homeassistant.update”

1 Like

Has this feature been implemented? I would like to run automation that checks whether there is an update and simply update HA automatically it during night to keep it updated all the time.