HassOS 3 released! Raspberry Pi 4 support

@frenck, from personal experience, the fundamental problem is there is nothing (that I have found) that explains the relationships between HassOS, Hass.IO and Home Assistant in a manner that is easily understood. The install guides are a maze and getting what you want can sometimes be a lottery.

It needs some simple explanation - assume the reader has little knowledge of the architecture and start from there.

[edit] As an example this is the first ‘suggest post’ - what does this mean.

4 Likes

There are simple explanations here on the forum.

But why not in the docs? How do I know which explanation is the authoritative one?

3 Likes

Because you haven’t submitted an edit to include it.

1 Like

Also see

Because I don’t understand it.

I note from a post on another thread you posted to Hass Vs hass.io Vs hassOS - #5 by samnewman86

Which implies you are not absolutely sure either…

[edit] posts crossed!!!

LOL they did.

By “I’ll try” I meant that “I’ll try to put it simply enough to understand”. On the technical details I believe my post is entirely correct.

Sadly that isn’t how it came across :grinning:. I’ve DM’d you.

Yeah, sure, the docs aren’t perfect, and we have tons of work to do. Help is appreciated, every page can be edited and improved by everybody.

For example, What is Home Assistant? As in, there is no where a page to be found that explains that.
We are very much in an era where Home Assistant used to be used by developers, we are slowly leaving that now, but it isn’t a 5 minute job.

It means the images offered are running HassOS and Hass.io is installed on it by default.

It could have said: “New Hass.io images, based on Ubuntu” :man_shrugging:

Bingo. I think fixing this should come to the fore. The project is way past a ‘developers only’ niche.

But I thought HassOS only had Hass.IO installed? (hence the confusion!).

I’ve DM’d @nickrout - happy to help with the docs on this as I definitely think the confusion does not help the project. I can’t actually do it, as I don’t understand it, but I can help review it to see if the output is understandable.

Correct, however, the project is driven by mainly open source contributors (developers mainly) that do this in their spare time. Which makes the part of documentation harder.

The project has grown at a rate in which some things could not be anticipated on, like the thing we are discussing now.

Everybody can edit the documentation, even if you are not a developer.

PS: I’m getting really off topic here :joy:

tried updating my HassOS 2.12 , running esxi server
when i click update button i receive this error : Error: 500 Internal Server Error Server got itself in trouble

how to troubleshoot?

Anything in the supervisor / Hass.io system logs?

this :slight_smile:

19-12-18 08:22:37 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.utils.gdbus] Start dbus monitor on de.pengutronix.rauc
19-12-18 08:22:37 INFO (MainThread) [hassio.utils.gdbus] Stop dbus monitor on de.pengutronix.rauc
19-12-18 08:22:37 ERROR (MainThread) [aiohttp.server] Error handling request
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/aiohttp/web_protocol.py", line 418, in start
    resp = await task
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/aiohttp/web_app.py", line 458, in _handle
    resp = await handler(request)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/aiohttp/web_middlewares.py", line 119, in impl
    return await handler(request)
  File "/usr/src/hassio/hassio/api/security.py", line 147, in token_validation
    return await handler(request)
  File "/usr/src/hassio/hassio/api/utils.py", line 39, in wrap_api
    answer = await method(api, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/src/hassio/hassio/api/hassos.py", line 44, in update
    await asyncio.shield(self.sys_hassos.update(version))
  File "/usr/src/hassio/hassio/hassos.py", line 177, in update
    rauc_status = await self.sys_dbus.get_properties()
AttributeError: 'DBusManager' object has no attribute 'get_properties'

seems my timezone is not correct, i always have that when doing a cold boot, they its on ETA zone, instead of ETA +1, gonna do a restart HA (service), then time is correct, maybe thats the trick

HassOS runs on UTC, it seems correct to me.

About your issue, that is being tracked here:

Perhaps split these out.

This is not a critisism of the project or of you, I just think that it would be of benefit to push it to the top of the ToDo pile and I’m happy to help review, but it would be wrong of me to be the source of the content (I don’t fully understand it)!

its updated now , when i do restart after a cold boot, timezone is correct for me
now tried updating again and succeeded, running 3.7 now

1 Like

I know! I hope I didn’t come across that way. I recognize the problem and agree.

The top of the todo pile is syncing integration documentation with the source code & revisiting website structure. Both of those are thing I am assigned to work soon.

1 Like

Great, if you get there and want some review or thoughts from the outside let me know.